Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do YOU stop buying fabrics? >

How do YOU stop buying fabrics?

How do YOU stop buying fabrics?

Old 01-14-2013, 04:08 PM

Fabric Buying Moratorium 2013 is now in progress! I refuse to buy any fabric unless I REALLY, REALLY need it - like for a border or backing (that I can't piece from scraps/stash). I really like the owners of my LQS and I like to spend time there. They don't pressure me to buy and we remain friends.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:17 PM

I haven't bought fabric in years, only because there is no more room and I don't need it. I just stopped cold turkey as I don't want to be a herder lol. I have three bookcases full and a 4x8 foot cabinet and two chest of drawers and some bins. I go to fabric store with my friends but I don't buy...I have to be adult about it, youknow?
Old 01-14-2013, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf View Post
I haven't bought fabric in years, only because there is no more room and I don't need it. I just stopped cold turkey as I don't want to be a herder lol. I have three bookcases full and a 4x8 foot cabinet and two chest of drawers and some bins. I go to fabric store with my friends but I don't buy...I have to be adult about it, youknow?
I think you might have meant "Hoarder" instead of "herder" LOL!! I did get a mental image of you with a flock of fat quarters around your feet and you with a hook, trying to get them to form some kind of semblence of order on one of your lower bookshelves!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 04:46 PM

Join the Support Group - Fabric Moratorium. It's worked 14 days for me!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:26 PM

I think all quilters are really fabriholics.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:31 PM

I really think it helps if you do scrappy quilts...you not only use your scraps but fabric in your stash...if you do not like scrappy...try a scrappy controlled quilt...maybe have one solid color with the scraps like White, black, blue etc..that will calm the look of the scrappy.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:37 PM

Run out of money!

Seriously, I can't stop either! I always seem to find something I like. After all, my cat isn't the only thing that needs petting.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:43 PM

There aren't many fabric stores in my area, most changed over to arts and crafts etc. I had almost stopped sewing until I discovered fabric online and then designer fabric omg! I bought enough material that first year to keep me busy for the next ten. One method I have used to slow down my buying was to make myself do only one project at a time and finish it before buying for the next one. I try not to make a new quilt without finding at least one fabric from my stash to use in it and really try to stretch what I have. My next plan is to make a some string quilts from all the scraps.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:23 PM

For me staying out of fabric stores is my best bet since I generally don"t buy on the internet. Also if I don't sign up for a swap (which is my down fall right now on thos board), I could save some money because I wouln't have an excuse to go to the store.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by SewCrazy4Quilts View Post
Serious question here....It's almost becoming an addiction. LOL

Please tell me I'm not alone.
You can not stop buying fabric!!! It is against the law!!! I heard it on the internet!