Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store your block patterns and templates? >

How do you store your block patterns and templates?

How do you store your block patterns and templates?

Old 06-26-2010, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

I have blocks and other ideas stored in my flash drive. When I need one printed, Jim does it for me. Templates are kept in a flat plastic container.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:54 AM

Walmart sells a cake box that locks and has carrying handles - and stacks. They cost around $5. I use them to store fabric, patterns and ongoing projects. Since I live in a motor-home and travel full-time, they are perfect for me.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:06 AM

I love super satchels by art bin for my projects and threads. I store everything for one project in a super satchel, label it, put it on the shelf in my sewing closet, and then I can just pull it out of the stack when i am ready to work on it.
Same with threads.
Art bin also makes larger (Taller) bins and I use them for fats, but also for nail polish and make up! I just love them! You can also use them for scrap booking and anything else you want to store (used them for my dad's coins, baseball cards, etc too).
In the shop we use curtain rods with shower curtain hooks to hang patterns alphabetically. While i don't have that at home, it sure is a neat system and it makes it super easy to find all your pats when you need them.
If I have any plastic templates for a pattern, I just hang them in the pattern envelope right with the pattern.
All my quilting templates are hung on hangers in the closet in my sewing room.
You can use the separators with the satchels to separate blocks and their templates, or projects, whatever you want.

the thing I love about the thread satchels is that the threads don't gather any dust when you are not using them.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]86915[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-86909.jpe   attachment-86910.jpe  
Old 06-26-2010, 09:08 AM

oh, forgot to mention that I was in Michael's craft store yesterday and they have a ton of cool storage stuff for crafters. it's more near the scrapbooking section, but lots can work for fabrics and quilter's supplies also!
Old 06-26-2010, 09:27 AM

I keep them in file folders and then put the file folders into magazine files. I try to organize them as to what kind of pattern they are. Patterns that I've used I file the same way (different folder for each pattern and I label it) but put them in a different magazine file. Am I making sense?

judyjo
Old 06-26-2010, 09:35 AM

My patterns are stored in a basket at the moment. The basket has a lining and I think they look cute in it. I store my magazines in magazine holders. Free patterms I print from the computer get stored with my quilting books on book shelves.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by wishiwerequilting
I love super satchels by art bin for my projects and threads. I store everything for one project in a super satchel, label it, put it on the shelf in my sewing closet, and then I can just pull it out of the stack when i am ready to work on it.
Same with threads.
Art bin also makes larger (Taller) bins and I use them for fats, but also for nail polish and make up! I just love them! You can also use them for scrap booking and anything else you want to store (used them for my dad's coins, baseball cards, etc too).
In the shop we use curtain rods with shower curtain hooks to hang patterns alphabetically. While i don't have that at home, it sure is a neat system and it makes it super easy to find all your pats when you need them.
If I have any plastic templates for a pattern, I just hang them in the pattern envelope right with the pattern.
All my quilting templates are hung on hangers in the closet in my sewing room.
You can use the separators with the satchels to separate blocks and their templates, or projects, whatever you want.
Where did you get the thread caddies. I love them. Who makes them?
Old 06-26-2010, 12:10 PM

I get them here:
http://www.quiltersparadiseonline.co...menu-3300.html
I have *a lot* of thread, and I find these to be the best i have used. I have tried a lot of different storage units, but i really like these. They have handles, secure latches, and i can keep my threads very organized according to color.
They also make them for cone threads and Ingrid (store owner) can get them for you if you need them.
Hope this helps!
Old 06-26-2010, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:41 PM

I also use those plastic rolling drawer thingies. But the best by far is the one made for scrapbookers. The "drawers" snap shut like the artbin the handle part is molded into it. I think I picked it up at JoAnn's on a half price sale. I got the one where all the "drawers" are the same size but they had others that were different depths. Projects with patterns, fabric and templets, etc. go in one "drawer" and I can just pull the whole thing and work on it store the blocks in and put it back until I work on it again. Great if you have several things you are working on at the same time or collecting the necessary fabrics for a project.