Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store your hard-copy Patterns? >

How do you store your hard-copy Patterns?

How do you store your hard-copy Patterns?

Old 12-27-2010, 07:16 PM

I have a set of old office shelves or "pigeon holes" that would have once been in a 1930's office or bank. Found them in a junk shop - $26 for 30 shelves that are big enough to hold a ream of paper in half of them and two reams in the other half. I consider it a lucky find.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
I have a set of old office shelves or "pigeon holes" that would have once been in a 1930's office or bank. Found them in a junk shop - $26 for 30 shelves that are big enough to hold a ream of paper in half of them and two reams in the other half. I consider it a lucky find.
You are indeed very lucky to have found that. There are any number of ways to use shelves like that and pattern filing is great! Good for you.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:09 PM

I have a 3-ring binder, very full now, and organized as to type---Christmas, baby, kitchen, paper-piecing, bed-size quilts, lap quilts, etc. Topics work for me though maybe not for everyone else. Within those categories, I have not organized things so it is an enjoyable search as I look at things I may want to do one day on my way to the thing I am looking for.

When I find something I like on line I print it out and lay it inside the cover of the notebook until I have a few and take the time to punch the sheets. (You can also buy pre-punched paper at office supply stores so then printouts would be ready for immediate filing.) I keep that notebook and my quilting books in a bookcase near my work area. In 2011, I will need to start a new notebook!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:16 PM

DITTO
Originally Posted by newquilter10
I have made a notebook with plastic sleeves that I insert the patterns in and they are always at my easy reach.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont
I seem to have everything else under reasonable control in my sewing room EXCEPT my hard-copy patterns. The result is I often spend as much time looking for a pattern as I do making it.

It's in a box here, a drawer there, or I'm looking for one with a great border, but I can't remember if I filed it in the "easy, fast" box, or the "great color combos," or . . . well, you get the idea.

Any suggestions?
I put my patterns in plastic sleeves and store them in 3 ring binders, sorting them in binders according to what they are, bindings and borders instructions or patterns in a binder, label it on the end, applique patterns in a binder, etc. I have a lot of binders. I did this with all of my educational instructions when I was teaching. Worked out great for me. I have my binders on a shelf above some of my stash. I have just magazines with patterns on a separate shelf. They are protected by the sleeves and binders and don't get bent or wrinkled. Hope this helps you out some.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont
I seem to have everything else under reasonable control in my sewing room EXCEPT my hard-copy patterns. The result is I often spend as much time looking for a pattern as I do making it.

It's in a box here, a drawer there, or I'm looking for one with a great border, but I can't remember if I filed it in the "easy, fast" box, or the "great color combos," or . . . well, you get the idea.

Any suggestions?
A ring binder with A4 plastic sleeves sounds good, that is how I store all my knitting patterns and it works well.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Calzo
I scan all of the patterns and store them on my computer as pdf files.
:oops: Becuse I don't know how to do this, I have tons of ring binders, which currently need reorganizing into better categories.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:19 AM

I also use a 3-ring binder with plastic sleeves. I'm new to this, so haven't accumulated too many yet, but it keeps mine handy & together. I have some original patterns I didn't want to lose & this method has kept them safe.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:05 AM

OMGosh ---- Kudos for being so neat and orderly! I need to take lessons from all of you! My patterns are at least all in the same room ---- most of them are on a bookshelf ---- many books and magazines have little yellow post it note stickers poking out to mark the pages of a quilt I like. My loose hardcopy patterns are just in a pile on a shelf. I actually love browsing thru all my patterns when I want to start a new project --- it stimulates my creativity.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:45 AM

I have used the plastic sleeves in 3-ring binders for years. Some binders are per artist so I group the binder next to the books I have from that artist. This worked great until I began to run out of shelf space! LOL

DH sees new books coming in the mail and I must now clear out the other things from my shelving area. Honestly, I don't need all those cookbooks, specialty pans, gardening books, etc. I quilt, knit and do some family research. I'll tell DH that I am downsizing and he will be pleased --- until he opens the doors which cover the shelving...hehehe