Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store your hard-copy Patterns? >

How do you store your hard-copy Patterns?

How do you store your hard-copy Patterns?

Old 12-28-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by newquilter10
I have made a notebook with plastic sleeves that I insert the patterns in and they are always at my easy reach.
do this also
Old 12-28-2010, 06:54 AM

I also have plastic sleeves in a 3 ring binder. I recently decided to give away all my magazines (about 10 years worth) to make more room on my shelves in my sewing room. I spent probably a week going through all of them and tearing out the patterns that I liked. Then I put a free ad in the local newspaper and gave them all away. Some of them were all the years of that particular magazine. Sometimes I think my hobby is buying books and magazines instead of making quilts!!! Just kidding--I do plenty of both. I gave several bags of magazines to 2 different new quilters, and they called a couple of days later to thank me. I tried to give them to the senior center, and they were "too busy" to take them. I couldn't believe my ears.
Sue
Old 12-28-2010, 08:28 AM

Currently, I have two large 3-ring binders. One for patterns and one for instructions for all of my tools; i.e., rulers, templates, etc. All are kept in sleeves. I have a box of binders ready to fill.

Midwestqltr
Old 12-28-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by midwestqltr
Currently, I have two large 3-ring binders. One for patterns and one for instructions for all of my tools; i.e., rulers, templates, etc. All are kept in sleeves. I have a box of binders ready to fill.

Midwestqltr
Now I know you are brilliant! Thank you for sharing as this will be my next notebook. It should also be an easy reference so I don't purchase duplicates and/or keep track of items I have loaned to friends. Yahoo!
Old 12-28-2010, 11:49 AM

I took 2 full levels on my bookshelf with bookends on each sides and organized my store purchased patterns that way. They fit on 2 shelves each 21" wide. Organized by crafts and holiday creations, then by adult or childrens sizes. I have McCalls, Butterick, Simplicity patterns among others. This works very well as the bookshelf also has my sewing and quilting books on it, in addition to all my cookbooks and other books, fiction and non fiction. from, Debbie, Phoenix, AZ
Old 12-28-2010, 01:11 PM

I, too, have mine in 3-ring binders. I staple the RIGHT side of the diretions for easy ID, holes on the left side. Company was going out of business and I got all the HUGE sale notebooks (front look odd, but VERY USABLE). This way I have MANY binders.

On thhe magazines, I use the unusable address labels I am forever getting to mark a page in a magazine (stick label partly on the page heading to the outside of page, bend label, and then fold down on itself)...this identifies a page I need.I do not do dog-ears.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:12 PM

3 ring binder with plastic sleeves, the oldest in the back and the newest on top. Just startin a second book as the first is FULL!:)
Old 12-28-2010, 01:15 PM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

I have many of the binders with the plastic sleeves. I sort them by style in the binders. Applique, focus fabric, kitchen ideas, baby, tabletops, you get the idea. I started out with an index in the front, but now have so many binders, that each binder has its own category.
Ditto here! Those plastic sleeves are wonderful, as you can write on them, or mark note and not ruin the original pattern.

Now as to if I ever make all these.......

:lol:
Old 12-28-2010, 03:46 PM

I use a 2 drawer file cabinet with pendaflex files and they are titled by the type of patterns they are, ie: Applique, BOM, Pieced patterns, etc. It seems to work for me. It is also where I can store the manuals for my machines, helpful hints, etc.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:02 PM

I keep mine in 2 lever arch files. one for quilts and one for small projects. I am also really strict about putting the patterns back when I am finished. Shame I am not so strict about the rest of my sewing stuff!