Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store your patterns >

How do you store your patterns

How do you store your patterns

Old 12-05-2011, 03:24 AM

I have several file cabinets. One drawer for patterns, instruction manuals, paper craft items. Most patterns in plastic, original or zip lock. Fabric stored in other drawers, folded over hanging folders, arranged by color. Some drawers labeled projects, for WIP's. Works well and keeps everything, well almost everything, put away and keeps work area relatively clutter free.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:28 AM

I also use notebooks to divide the patterns by type and then put the patterns in page protectors. Works great for me and
then you can sit and flip thru them while watching TV . . . . . picking your next project! Hee! Hee!
Old 12-05-2011, 03:48 AM

The plan is to put them in plastic sleeves in folders and have them neatly categorised. The reality is some very nice folders (that have not been opened in yonks) and huge pile of printed patterns. I'm too scared to start sorting them because it will chew up my precious quilting time. I find myself making new pattterns and keeping the older ones for one day.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:24 AM

Since I am a new Quilter I only have a dozen or so store bought patterns and a stack of internet patterns. My thought was to take an old Shutter and hang it on the wall, then store my patterns in the shutter by attaching them with antique cloths pins.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:08 AM

I store mine in envelopes or zip lock bags in a box with file folders for separation.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:21 AM

I have chest of drawers that I store some of my patterns in (the clothing patterns) and the rest are in a cabinet, with plastic bins to sort of sort them...such as Christmas patterns, fall patterns, florals, miscellaneous, and then there are the oversize patterns that just sit on a shelf. I have WAY too many patterns.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:46 AM

The patterns I have which I have printed off the internet or have copies of I place them in plastic sleeves in binders. I love the plastic sleeves as I can place pieces of fabric inside as well to remind me later of I can take to a store and its all right there. The smaller patterns I buy at stores which are already in platic bags fit perfectly in a shoebox I have covered in fabric on the top of my computer desk. Again I like the plastic bags and can put bits of fabric in I have in mind to use. Books I keep on shelves either in my sewing room or my quilting room depending in the contents. Magazines I keep in the magazine holders by title and keep them by years together.

I also am in the process of making a spreadsheet in my computer of each pattern I have in all books, magazines, patterns, etc with the name, designer, brief descrpition, total yardage needed to make, along with where its stored. This way if I need to find something real quick or want to look at all patterns with a particular theme or 5 yards of fabric I know where to go and don't have to spend all that time trying to find it when I could be sewing it!! This may seem like a huge task for one who has been collecting for years but when I was sick I would just grab a few at a time and write them down or if you have a labtop plug them in right away and before you know it, you are done.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:13 AM

I have pattern boxes from JoAnns that I use for many of my patterns; the box is labeled according to type of pattern, with holiday patterns separate from the others. Those patterns on 8 1/2 x 11 paper (say from magazines or printed from free pattern sources online) I store in binders (inside top-load sheet protectors).
Old 12-05-2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
store mine in binders with plastic sleeves
I have all mine stored in 4 binders w/plastic sleeves also. Just label the outside and they are easy to find anytime you want.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:36 PM

I use the plastic sleeve protector's and put them in a binder I then put dividers in and mark whether it's placemats, tote bags, quilts (children's, unisex, themed), misc, I even cut out fabric's that I see in the magazines that I would like to find/use. The binder sits on top of my sewing table.