Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you store your patterns

I am acquiring a bunch of patterns and have not come up with the best way to store them so that I can find them etc. Any ideas and how do you all store your patterns?

Thanks

I store most of my patterns in either a manilla envelope with the contents on the outside or the plastic sleeves.

I store mine on a section of peg board....sorted by type :)

new user
    I store mine in plastic sleeves in notebooks and label the notebooks with the type of pattern ie wallhangings, quilts, purses, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by judykrdolls18
    I store mine in plastic sleeves in notebooks and label the notebooks with the type of pattern ie wallhangings, quilts, purses, etc.
    I also do this....works very well for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arkansasquilter123
    I also do this....works very well for me.
    That's what I do too. I use large 3 ring binders. Label the outside.

Blog Entries
    i use magazine storage boxes for the patterns that are 'loose'

Blog Entries
    store mine in binders with plastic sleeves

Blog Entries
    ditto

Blog Entries
    I have been trying to get all of my patterns organized for awhile and then found a solution that works well for me since I have so many.

I bought a bunch of wire magazine holders from Ikea to store them on my book shelf. They are like narrow boxes with a diagonal cut out top. I sorted my patterns according to type/technique and reserved one holder for the patterns that I want to do in the immediate future. I can store quite a few in each holder and the patterns can be different sizes of packages. All of the patterns that are in the magazine holders are in the plastic bag that they were in when purchased.

The patterns that do not have plastic bags because they are are from magazines or are printed from the internet are kept in plastic sleeves in 3 ring binders.

For the actual full magazines that I save, I got plastic magazine holders that are used for storage in 3 ring binders. You insert one side of the plastic holder between the pages of the magazine and the other side of the plastic holder has 3 holes pre-punched so it can be easily stored in a binder.

Blog Entries
    I store my quilt patterns that come from magazines in plastic sleeves in notebooks by category. For patterns I have bought, I make a copy of the front cover and file that in the notebooks too, then I store the patterns in a box. I still have trouble with books. I can't seem to remember which one has the pattern I am looking for.

I store all of mine in plastic sleeves in binders (3 so far) sorted by catagory, holiday or kind. Christmas, Halloween, Table Runners, Banners, Kids...etc....so far it works great

I have been cutting my patterns out of magazines ....as my membory has gotten so bad with time, and I hate wasting my precious time .....

just a thought... I took a realistic look at the magazines, books, and patterns that I had. There are several beautiful quilts that I will never make. Right now, I don't LAQ, I don't like to use flannel, I have no intention of doing a ton of applique, especially tiny applique and I much prefer hand applique. I only make quilts, and generally don't sew bags or anything three dimensional. I donated the patterns that I knew I would never use. I cut a few out of magazines that I liked and planned to make.

By the way, I LOVE the look of alot of things, but either don't have the talent or the interest in doing certain types of quilting/sewing. (usually lack the talent)

This made my pattern area much neater. Now, I have one large binder with page protectors and about 15 books.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish
    ditto
    Ditto also

Blog Entries
    I store them in numerical order after making a spread sheet with all the pertinent data.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    I store them in numerical order after making a spread sheet with all the pertinent data.
    Wow, that's very organized - are you an accountant? :lol:

Blog Entries
    Magazines in binders, photo copies in binders. Ones in pls r mounted on corkboard on wall

Blog Entries
    Works great for me also!

I have my patterns storted in plastic boxes designed for photo's. They are a good size for all the single patterns I buy at the fabric store or quilt shops. If it is a pattern I got out of a magazine I store in a plasic sleeve in a binder. I haven't figured out a good system for finding what I want once I've put it a way but I eventually find the one I want in my stuff.

I store a lot of patterns in an underthebed box under our bed. (Shhhh! Don't tell my husband.)

Great ideas...thanks everyone!

I store them in alpha order and use Microsoft Excel for my spreadsheet. I have a field for technique -- paper-pieced, applique, etc. Also designer. I can sort on those fields. I use a file drawer so that they are easy to just browse.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish
    Wow, that's very organized - are you an accountant? :lol:
    No. Just love knowing where things are and being able to do it so easily with a computer.
    Beats the old card catalog system.

I use manila folders and a cardboard file box. After years of looking for patterns, this has worked great. I have no problem finding any of them. I do have 2 miscellaneous folders, just write on the the front of the folder. I did have a 3 ring binder, but I have too many patterns. I even put them back in the folder when I'm done.......lol Donna

Blog Entries
    Except for the computer spreadsheet idea, I've used all of the above ideas over th past 28 yrs.
    That makes me about 90% efficient. The other 10% I allow myself for the fun of surprise discoveries! :thumbup:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast