Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store your stash? >

How do you store your stash?

How do you store your stash?

Old 07-21-2010, 05:45 AM

for years I have been storing my fabric in 16 qt plastic boxes, sorted by color...Well with the redo of my sewing room, I had boxes up to the ceiling. I installed 3 sheving units above my counter top and am now folding my fabric on foam board (5"x14")and storing on the shelves. So far it seems to be working better. I put all of my chirstmas fabric in one area. I just have to stop buying fabric....I am begging to think I have become a fabric hoarder! ugh
Old 07-21-2010, 06:12 AM

Joanie2,
I am so jealous of your closet! It looks wonderful. I have a spare bedroom that has been made into my sewing retreat. Everyone in my family knows that that room if off limits. Now, however, it looks like a storm has gone through it and I lost! I will have to spend at least one day to straighten it up. Yours is so organized, would you like to come to KY and help me? LOL.
Love reading everyones comments on storage, it really helps me with ideas.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:32 AM

I love the use of clear bins for scraps and smaller pieces and hanging 'to be finished' quilt tops. I am int he process of creating a craft area in our finished basement. right now I just ahve a folding table with boxes/bins below it with misc craft stuff and DVD racks on top of the table (against the wall) on which I have my fabric stash, neatly wrapped around corrugated plastic boards. Shoe boxes currently hold my scraps.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
I just finished folding and wrapping all of my fabric and fat quarters on coroplast boards (see tutorial by Alaskasunshine -- she's my hero). Then I stacked them on the bed in the guest bedroom. I can't figure out what to do with them now. So, I'm in the same situation as half the quilters on this board!
Depending on the size of your coroplast boards, dvd/vhs racks work great. I cut mine to 9" high and they fit perfect. I fold my fabric in half and then in thirds and it fits nicely on the boards.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:10 AM

To JOANIE2 - (1) can I borrow your son to re-do my big closet; (2) I think I've just finished the same quilt you have hanging on the right-hand side of your picture. Looks nice hanging up.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:25 AM

Clear plastic boxes and stored color coded, than theme, flannel vs cottons, etc. I'm not saying they stay like that all the time but for the most part that is how they are sorted. I have anything over 2 yards flat folded on a shelve.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:29 AM

Looks like a commercial operation !!
Old 07-21-2010, 10:42 AM

Shelves, plastic totes, dresser drawers, under the bed.....way too much stash!!
Old 07-21-2010, 02:58 PM

I store mine in my closet, a standard smallish bedroom closet built in the mid 70's, on a white metal shelving unit w/5 shelves. Smaller cuts, like FQ and jelly rolls, etc. are in clear shoe box size plastic bins. I store backing fabs on the built in shelf above the shelving unit.

The fabric is kept out of the light, is easy to see when I open the closet door and it can breathe easily.

Larger items, like fleeces, home dec, and other things less often used are out in my "annex", the attached garage in larger clear plastic bins. Ditto with my batting.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:48 PM

That happens to me almost every week.... cause I'm always starting another project... mind you I do get projects done. I multi task them...LOL answer to ~~~ I orgainize and then start looking cause I'm starting another project... and it all blows up....~~~~~~ as tadpol 62 says And I have a room full of stash with my sewing table and cutting area included... and lots and lots of totes and some shelves but I'm short and the shelves are high.. LOL have had the avalanch happen to me.. Boy did I sit and laugh...