Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you use a template with a rotary cutter? >

How do you use a template with a rotary cutter?

How do you use a template with a rotary cutter?

Old 12-24-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau View Post
Don't try to cut around paper templates or thin templates with a rotary cutter. If you don't lose a finger, you will shear the edges off your templates so that they are not accurate any more. Best thing to do is to place a rotary cutting rule over the top of your template, along the edge and cut accordingly if you haven't got an acrylic template to cut around. All the best with your projects.
When I'm cutting a polyhedron or rhombus, I want my edges straight - thus my desire to use my rotary cutter. What I've been doing is cutting the shape on the sewing line, and hanging the edge of my ruler over the template by 1/4 inch for seam allowance. Repositioning my ruler causes the template to shift, though. Making tape anchors under it seems to be helping. I use paper if there are few shapes the same so I can save my template material for larger projects.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:53 PM

Does anybody draw around templates and cut out shapes with scissors anymore?<does anybody="" draw="" around="" templates="" and="" cut="" out="" shapes="" with="" scissors="" anymore?="">
If I can use a rotary cutter I do. I only cut out shapes for applique.

My tip for keeping your ruler on your template while you cut is to use a piece of vinyl. It tends to stick enough to the paper to prevent movement. If you don't want to buy any, just use that vinyl that they are placing over screens for electronics. I just took some off my new clock. Free. It does have markings, but not a big concern since you are only using the edge over your template.</does>
Old 12-25-2011, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by b.zang View Post
When I'm cutting a polyhedron or rhombus, I want my edges straight - thus my desire to use my rotary cutter. What I've been doing is cutting the shape on the sewing line, and hanging the edge of my ruler over the template by 1/4 inch for seam allowance. Repositioning my ruler causes the template to shift, though. Making tape anchors under it seems to be helping. I use paper if there are few shapes the same so I can save my template material for larger projects.
I'm clear now that you are being safe and have a suggestion to put a product called 'clear grip' on the bottom of your rules. I use it with success. It looks a bit like the film you put over the back of camera screens to protect them from scratching and comes in a metre roll. My method of cutting is to cut strips the width of my template and then place the template over the strips. This generally means only two cuts are needed for each shape and I vary the size of the rotary cutter depending on the size of the shape. Please show us what you come up with on a future post.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:43 PM

If I am using a template with a hard surface such as having a friend cut out for me from plexiglass I spray the back of the template with spray adhesive and let it dry I do the same with me rulers. It works great and they don't move.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:10 PM

sandpaper dots
Old 12-26-2011, 09:33 AM

My lovely husband bought me a rotary cutting board for Christmas, this is great for cutting out difficult shapes, I'm not so agile as I was and my large table is not so easy to walk around. Happy New year to all, xx
Old 12-26-2011, 09:36 AM

What a great idea!!! I was using a glue stick on the outside of the lines but I think this idea is wonderful!
Originally Posted by Arleners View Post
I put just a spritz of basting spray on the template. It sticks to the fabric and pulls away easily. I must admit, I don't let the project sit, I only do it if I can cut and peel right away. I don't know if time would make the paper stick too well to be peeled back.

The other thing is use freezer paper with the shiny side down and press it onto the fabric. You can buy freezer paper cut into 8 1/2 x 11 pieces so they feed through the printer.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:25 AM

Your first problem is using a paper pattern. If you nick it, it's reduced in size. I use template plastic and old scissors to cut. You can add seam allowances or not, depending on whether you are hand or rotary cutting. If hand, trace around the templates with a mechanical pencil with a #.05 lead. leave ½-inch between the pencil lines when cutting out. The pencil lines are your cutting lines. For rotary, include the seam allowances in the template. The easiest way to cut is to cut strips of fabric. For instance, if your template is 2½-inches square cut a strip 2½-inches and use the template to cut individual pieces, actually with this scenario, all you would have to do is cut each template using a ruler. However, hope you get the idea. Don't lay your fabric on a slippery table/counter as this will contribute to the fabric shifting.
SandyQuilter
Old 12-27-2011, 09:26 AM

Opps, made a mistake when typing. The pencil lines are the sewing lines when making templates for hand piecing.
Sorry.

SandyQuilter