Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW DO YOU USE YOUR QUILTS?

Quote Originally Posted by Ardelle Coult
    When I make a quilt it is always for use as a bed spread and I never use it as a blanket. However, most of the time when I make a quilt for one of my daughters or grandchildren they use them a blankets.

Just wondering how everyone else feels about this.
    My Mom gave me a BEAUTIFUL quilt, a double wedding ring. This quilt is so special to me. I haven't put it on my bed yet because I am afriad it will get ruined. I have had it for seven months. Clearly, Mom is upset that I haven't used it yet. I wouldn't dream of using it as a blanket. If I made it for someone I wouldn't want them to ever use it as a blanket.

Blog Entries
    I make them to be used also, it doesn't always happen. I made a baby quilt for a great niece. They won't use it, but they did put it on the wall which I guess in a way they use it. I made quilts for two more great nieces and these have to stay on the bed. So, I solved this by making each of the nieces a quilted fleece blankie and my sister delivered them. She told the kids in front of the parents that their Auntie said they could use them whenever and wherever they wanted. What could the parents say and the girls just love them. Now I need to get one finished for one of their brothers because he was very jealous of the girls. I didn't think he would appreciate the pink that girls received, so I have a blue with cars I will make for him.

The reason I don't use a couple of my Mom's quilts is that I have 4 quilts she made and I am alone now and only have one hospital type bed. My Mom has been gone for about 6 years and I really want to display these two quilts. I would like to be able to hand them down to Mom's greatgrandchildren when the time comes because they will be very special to the girls in remembrance of her. My Mom was very close to her first grandson because we all helped take care of him when he was little, and I want these quilts for his daughters. I quilted a stack and whack top that mom Mom had made and gave it to him and his wife for their wedding. It was a beautiful quilt and is very special to him.

Mine are used as wall hangings, on back of furniture. Bed quilts are used however the recipient chooses. I remember making my middle DS a quilt that he slept under every night. When he was going through the pimply teenage years he got some acne cream on it that resulted in bleach type marks on the dark blue border. I was cross when I saw it then quickly realised that it will always be a reminder of a special time in his life. I still smile and have lovely memories every time I look at that quilt. He is now 30 this month.
    Colleen

Blog Entries
    the big dragonfly quilt i made my daughter for her wedding gift i put a hanging sleeve on, when it is not needed on the bed she hangs it over her sliding glass door in her room, so she can just enjoy it...

she does not take down her insulated drapes so it is not being damaged by the sun and helps keep the room cool.

I make mine to be used. I tell people to use them and love them and I am always glad to make a new one.

I want mine used for whatever the person I make it for wants to use it... I have my first quilt that I use all the time. It is folded at the end of my bed year round - even though we live in FL. I took it with me to my hospital stay last October, it will go with us to IN next month -and it always goes camping with us... Same as my boys and my daughter's quilts - well used, well loved.

I also make my quilts to be used, abused and loved!! I made my very first lap quilt for my mother so she could have her own quilt to bundle up with. But she said it is too nice to use instead she has it folded over a quilt stand! :-( I on the other hand have several quilts she and my grandmother made for me and I always bundle up on the couch and even take on trips with me. I usually rotate them because I want to make sure that I use them all...lol!!

It really depends on what I am making. Some are specifically for spreads and some are for blankets. Whatever I make them for, I make them to be used mot just displayed. I would much rather see one of my quilts loved to pieces than just sitting there to be admired.

I made a baby quilt for a friend and gave it to her at a shower. When she opened the gift, she said she'd put it away and take good care of it. I had written on the card a message to the baby about using the quilt however she wanted to and to tell mommy and daddy when it needed to be washed because it had been dragged through mud. I said they'd wash it for her. It's been the quilt they put on the floor when she was first put down to explore her world. I'm so glad they're using it.

Everyone in my family has a quilt on their bed; whether it's one I made or one I bought from a store. They are usually wrapping themselves in it at night and in the morning make their bed with it. My granddaughters have dragged them here and there but since they are bigger than a toddler bed size dragging that size around is just plain messy and dangerous. After taking it with them to the store they want to sleep with it. Sorry, but I gotta wash that first before putting it back on the bed.

I make them to be used, anything thats still here, used for anything. :)

I make quilts to be used, any way the recipient pleases, even if it's for the dog.At least it's in use. My eldest DD asked for one I was making, and it's spent 2 years folded on a cupboard shelf. My DGD drags hers everywhere, followed by about 3 or 4 doll quilts. DGD's best friend cuddles hers every night. Guess which ones are more appreciated. Sitting on a shelf hidden in a cupboard, IMHO isn't what any quilt is made for. And it was patched and quilted in about 5 hours,so it's not an heirloom.

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Mine are made to be used and abused. I want to see them being loved to the point of falling apart that way I have an excuse to make more.
    Absolutely. There is nothing any more beautiful than a very loved quilt. Especially if the person doing the loving is a child.

Blog Entries
    [quote=cjomomma]Mine are made to be used and abused.
    Ditto!! :thumbup:

I use mine as bedspread, plus as blankets. Gift quilts I put a care label on and then hope for the best. Once they leave my care, I treat them like my kids, they are on their own. grin Hopefully the recipients will appreciate the work and take care of the quilts. I do expect them to use them.

I make mine to love and use My grandmother told me her hand quilted quilts were never to be stored in a plastic bag on a shelf she made them to be used and loved and I still feel her love when I cover up with one of her quilts or see my great grandbaby taking a nap on one in the floor , I just hope someday one of my quilts will be as cherished as hers are

I make mine to love and use My grandmother told me her hand quilted quilts were never to be stored in a plastic bag on a shelf she made them to be used and loved and I still feel her love when I cover up with one of her quilts or see my great grandbaby taking a nap on one in the floor , I just hope someday one of my quilts will be as cherished as hers are

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Mine are made to be used and abused. I want to see them being loved to the point of falling apart that way I have an excuse to make more.
    I agree! Any excuse to make more! :thumbup:

I use them and my kids and grandkids always use them til they are worn-thats why I make them to use,unless it is a wallhanging

Blog Entries
    [quote=fryguymoore

FryGuyMoore,
    Please post a very large picture of the avatar paper pieced block you are showing!
    I love this and would like to see it better.
    It is very striking.

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    Growing up a quilt was always a part of our bedding, like a blanket. Only a few of our quilts are "fancy" enough to be spreads. My children, however, use them as a comfort thing when you don't feel good as well as using them for covers. All of our quilts are made to be used.

I love to make quilts of all kinds... so the ones that I keep are usually from swaps which I use or really pretty applique that I hang on my quilt ladder. I use a lot of them for decoration in my home, but if some one wants to grap one and use it it is okay with me... thats why I make them to use them....

I make mine to be used. I consider anything I've sewn together as patchwork as quilts. I'm making just a coaster size for the girls at my doctors office to put their coffee cups on. I make wall hangings, to be hung on the wall. I make lap size to snuggle with, and bed size as the top quilt, and I don't fold it up, it's used. Gifts I hope are used. Why make something just to keep it folded up in the closet. I was affraid to use them when I first started hand quilting in the 80's, but mine have held up very well.

My quilts are meant to be used, if it wears out I'll make another one.
    Sharon

I am just starting out and I will make several small ones before I try a bed-sized one. I have an idea to make "seasonal" ones to change out and hang them as a wall hanging in the hall going to our kitchen. That way I can make lots of them and I don't have to make them too big. :D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast