Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW DO YOU USE YOUR QUILTS?

When I make a quilt it is always for use as a bed spread and I never use it as a blanket. However, most of the time when I make a quilt for one of my daughters or grandchildren they use them a blankets.

Just wondering how everyone else feels about this.

Blog Entries
    I make them to be well used and loved :D:D:D

Depends. If I made a bed quilt (I've got two in progress but neither is finished yet) I expect it will be used as a bed quilt until it is too worn, and then to be used as a "blanket" (carried on picnics, taken camping, on fishing trips, etc). If I make a throw size or baby quilt, I expect they'll be carried around and used however the owner needs to use them, whether it's on the couch or on a picnic.

Really, I don't do hand quilting, and all my quilts tend towards the "utility" end of the quilt continuum. I try to make them washable and durable, and I very rarely do complicated patterns or hand applique. I use a lot of scraps, and reuse clothing. I might feel differently about a hand-appliqued, hand-quilted baltimore album made entirely from quilt shop fabric that cost $10 a yard.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardelle Coult
    When I make a quilt it is always for use as a bed spread and I never use it as a blanket. However, most of the time when I make a quilt for one of my daughters or grandchildren they use them a blankets.

Personally I don't care how the recipient uses what I make for them. I make mine to be attractive as well as utilitarian. A neighbor made me one I use as a couch throw so everyone who comes in my house sees it. I don't hand sew or quilt anything because I want it to be able to be washed and "loved". That way I know they are appreciated.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I use mine the Linus way - as a comfy blanket. Everyone else varies.

I use them as blankets. Honestly, I am too lazy to have a bedspread that I have to remove and fold neatly every night just to put it back on in the morning. No one but family sees my bedroom and I make the bed every morning. If I am feeling fancy, I put an extra set of pillows with matching shams on the bed. I can just toss those in the corner at night! lol

I think either way is right. We all love things differently. My grandmother used bed spreads and they looked very nice. So maybe it is part generational?

We just bought new livingroom furniture for the first time in 30 years. I have quilts covering the seating areas because we have 3 chihuahuas and my husband feeds them on the furniture. All my quilts are made with easy patterns and meant to be used and washed alot. My kids use the quilts I send them too.

I use them for bedspreads, blankets.. one I only use, that my mil made, when I am sick.. I also have one that my huby's great aunt made and it is on the wall. She made it around 1930. Others always adorn beds, bench seats, hope chest etc. I love to see them and use them, to be able to touch them.. bring to minds eyes who made them with loving hands whether I knew them or not.

As long as they are not folded on on a shelf , it doesn't really matter . I do not keep any of my quilts.

I absolutely use mine. On the bed, on the sofa, on the floor when my grandson and I have a "picnic", one daughter uses hers on the bed the other one won't use hers because she afraid of ruining it, I keep telling her she can't hurt it, I made it to be used. Now that she is learning to quilt herself, she'll begin to use it.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Mine are made to be used and abused. I want to see them being loved to the point of falling apart that way I have an excuse to make more.

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I make them to be well used and loved :D:D:D
    same here

Blog Entries
    In the winter as a blanket.

Now there no way I could sleep with a quilt. It is just simply too darn hot without air conditioning. I used to use the swamp cooler, but the outside faucet that it is hooked to leaks under the kitchen sink. I can't afford to fix it so I am hot hot hot. When oh when will it be Fall.

I can hear the thunder and smell smoke right now, so I know there is a fire close. I just wish it would rain and rain and rain or even snow.

I hope to get a quilt ladder so that I can hang a couple of quilts my mom made. I won't let anyone use these because they are just too special to me and I miss her so much.

I make mine to be used!

Power Poster
    I make mine to be used and to be given away.

Blog Entries
    I always make quilts with the intent that they will be used and loved. If I ever made one that was for looks only, I'd make it as a wall quilt. Everyone (even the grown ups) needs a "blankie" at some point in their lives. I would be honored if mine was the one someone chose to comfort them. :) And if someone's wears out, I will make a better one.

Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    I always make quilts with the intent that they will be used and loved. If I ever made one that was for looks only, I'd make it as a wall quilt. Everyone (even the grown ups) needs a "blankie" at some point in their lives. I would be honored if mine was the one someone chose to comfort them. :) And if someone's wears out, I will make a better one.
    Here, Here Katier825 I agree with you, if one wears out I'll make them a better one

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I have never had a quilt in my life, but if I did I love, and snuggle in it forever! :mrgreen:

I have a quilted table runner on the dining room table, and quilts on the back of the sofa, the back of my favorite chair, draped over the rocking chair, and on every bed.

In the winter we have 2 or 3 quilts on every bed. We use the nicest one (sometimes that is the newest) on top, but we use them. They aren't removed when we go to sleep.

I change them depending on my mood and the season. I consider the quilts to be art. I like having a change of scenery so I rotate different paintings on the wall and I enjoy different quilts on the beds for the same reason.

I'm in the process of making my first bed-sized quilt now (twin XL) and am also in the process of convincing the recipient to please use it! If you don't put it on your bed, keep it handy to wrap up in during the cold Ithaca winters! Haha, as long as it's being used in some way, I am happy :)

I use all of my quilts, on the beds as blankets and bedspreads. I use them as lap quilts , wall hangings, I think they make a house a home. When I make quilts for people I make sure they are in the colors they like, because I find they will use them.

Blog Entries

To be honest how I feel about it is this: you say you make these gifts 'for use as a bedspread' but the only way to control what happens your quilts is to keep them under lock and key. From your post I am hearing some anger toward those you gifted quilts to. I think this is very sad. Did they say they wanted a bedspread? (Do your grandchildren even know what a bedspread is?) I would be really annoyed if my mother made me something and then found fault with how I chose to use it (within reason, obviously) I think you should be pleased they like your gifts enough to use them, and to use them so intimately. I guess they must love you dearly to want to have your work near them like that. Pretty nice feeling, no?

Probably a lot "generational" since I am soooo many generations!! lol

Angry? Not a chance. I love that my offspring love my quilts. I was just wondering how all of you used the quilts you made. I have nine grandchildren and they are all on their third quilts, so you know that they have been used and loved.

I make mine to be used. My DH and I sleep under a king sized one I made every night. I use it as a bedspread but I don't take it off at night. I don't like scratchy blankets and don't even own one.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast