Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How does Connecting Thread sell so inexpensively?

Quote Originally Posted by clsurz View Post
    I haven't bought their fabric yet but do their threads as most of us do in this area and it is a great quality thread. It doesn't break or cause messes with your machines unlike others brands out there.

Since I've never seen their fabric can't really say much about that however many others buy the fabric and love it and IMHO it has to be better than what JoAnn's, Hancocks, Walmart offers at a better price than they do.

I was in JoAnn's yesterday and was shocked to see the quality of the fabric at 9 a yard and looks very much like what Walmart offers at almost 7 dollars a yard. I can go to my LQS in a neighboring town and get alot better fabric than what these two places offer for about $5.95 a yard and if you watch the sale table get it at $3.98 a yard.
    I was in JoAnns about 10 days ago & couldn't believe the poor poor poor quality of fabric at $9.99yd. I could see my hand thru the fabric. The whole store looked dull because of the fabric thinness. I have found better fabric at Wallmart for less. If I want good fabric I go to my LQS who sells most at $9.60-10.60 yd with no shipping charges.

Blog Entries
    I definitely agree. I have placed many orders with them and loved all.

Personally, I want to keep the LQS's in business. On the other hand, a lot of my quilts are donations and gifts, so the more I save on fabric and notions, the more I can donate. What to do? I order a lot of fabrics on line at super sales when available, getting a lot of really beautiful fabrics at $4 or $5 a yard. These are usually in the stash. When I design and select fabrics for a quilt, I try to select a few very special fabrics for pizzazz, most of which come from my LQS, then I use my stash to augment and fill in where needed. I always enjoy going into the LQS and seeing and touching the fabrics. I like giving them my business and chatting with the staff who are mostly always helpful and fun. When I need something special to add to a quilt, I visit the shop with my stash elements and work to jazz it up with shop selections. I also shop their clearance aisle and buy for my stash there. The LQS would always be my first choice, but for stash building, you cannot beat some of the online sales. I just make sure it's a really great price; if it's only a small savings, I go to the LQS first.

In Phx. AZ there is a quilt shop that sells fabrics at reasonable prices. It is called Mulqueens on 59 ave and Northern.
    Last time I checked thier fabrics were around $6.98 a yard. The fabric is good quality also. They sell sewing machines and furniture to.
    So its not just online stores that sell cheaper.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
    Couple of things to keep in mind. They do have their fabric line and threads manufactured for them, to they do not have to go through a warehouse/distributor to order those - one less markup. They probably also buy their books directly from the publisher - one less mark up. Quilt Shops are ordering Fabrics/Books/Notions, etc. from a Distributor therefore they are paying an additional markup that in itself is a HUGE difference.

An internet only shop does not have to pay for: Rent, utilities, liability insurance, employees, etc.
    While you may (or may not) get a better price on items from internet only shops - you also do not get any of their expertise: Help with a pattern/fabric choices, nor can you go in an look around when you just need to get out of the house or have some adult company who understands your hobbies and can put you in a much better mood
    CT is a HUGE operation with several warehouses and MANY, MANY employees, they also have a B&M shop. TONS of overhead! Just because someone sells online people think they have NO overhead. I sold online for 10 years and let me tell you, I might have been a small, one woman operation, but I had lots of overhead. Just shipping materials alone can add a fortune to the cost of items! Then comes the insurance riders, utilities, the vehicle, the shipping, the CPA, and the list goes on! Trust me ALL businesses have overhead!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice3 View Post
    Love CT. Wish they could stick to made in America.
    would be nice, but the US no longer has any textile mills!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clsurz View Post
    Buying in bulk and also having the whole world online to sell to unlike just locally with a few hundred or thousand potential customers. Online you literally have millions of potential customers.
    sadly CT does NOT have the "whole" world as customers. Only the US and Canada!

Their buyer is also probably very good at negotiating prices. Sales reps want to make sales and will make some really good deals if you know how to get them. My DH was a master at getting good deals when we had our business.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    CT has moved production of fabric out of the US, so that has kept costs down. I'm not particularly thrilled with the quality of fabric or thread, but you get what you pay for in that sense. Any business that doesn't have store fronts will be able to have lower costs than a brick and mortar establishment.
    I have lots of thread from CT and haven't had any problems. I think the fabric is not the highest quality and one time I sent an email to customer service to tell them I wasn't happy about some fabric I bought from them and received a condesending reply but most of the time I am aware that fabric is not top of the line but depends on what I am going to do with it. Right now I am making a table runner for my mom that was a kit so it isn't something I plan on having around "forever".
    quilting with my dogs

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
    This is just my personal opinion, but selling online is SO much cheaper than selling in a storefront. My guess it is a good marketing strategy to sell low and sell quantity. The online shops that try to sell at LQS prices undoubtedly sell much less unless it it free shipping. When you add shipping to the product you often pay more than at a local shop.

I don't know about their manufacturing their own, I think they just have their name put on the fabrics...perhaps they do some design work. It is like buying a generic brand at the grocery store...they don't make their own ketchup, some other company - often a name brand Co. will make it and label it for them.
    I agree about doing business on line is so much cheaper........sadly, it is putting the smaller local quilt shops out of business and it is a loss to everyone. My favorite yarn shop in Atlanta has closed its physical doors.....no more sitting around the table knitting, talking, sharing, no more all night knitting fests, etc; they will sell yarn and other supplies but you just can't go in there, and I miss them terribly. Sometimes it isn't always about making the 120 mile round trip to buy something, but it is about the experience of looking, touching, sharing that is just as important as leaving with a bag !

I too believe in supporting local business BUT for those of us who do not a huge resource of stores to buy from, the internet is the answer. I live in a city of only 45,000 & have only 1 local shop & it is small. Lovely lady & goes out of her way to help. Has classes, alterations etc. but a small selection of fabric (but quality fabric), a small selection of accessories also, but those of us with a quilting addiction support her as much as we can. I have just ordered an embroidery only machine from her & can't wait for it to come in. I wish I could buy everything from her but until she gets bigger, she just does not have the stock that we have access to, on line.
    Dance like no one is watching

My closed LQS is 35 miles away and JoAnn's is Over 100 miles away. With gas prices going up all of the time. We might have to shop online.

Blog Entries
    An internet only shop does not have to pay for: Rent, utilities, liability insurance, employees, etc.
    Well, they actually do have a building/warehouse and employees, but their main savings is in having their fabrics manufactured for them exclusively, and not buying fabric from other manufacturers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cannyquilter View Post
    Just to day would love to give CT a try but they do not shop international other than Canada.
    There is a way to get around that by having someone in US buy for you and then send it to you. I did that for a member of the QB who is in Switzerland. It was fun!!

Connecting threads also makes (or has them made) their own threads and fabrics in the USA...no huge shipping fees.
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot automated quilter
    http://www.Lmcampbel.com

They told me when I ask; their fabric and thread and books are made here in the U.S.A. with U.S.A. products. They do their best to keep all low but not go out of business. This was a few years back.

If buying in bulk keeps the cost down then Fat Quarter Shop must make a killer profit. I love their site, the variety of fabrics the ease of finding what you want but have to be 'can't live without' if I am going to buy, especially a given series. I don't think Connecting Threads quality of fabric is any less than FQS. CT's is my very favorite for affordable series and ease of ordering. Have access to lots of local quilt stores but usually only buy markdowns.

A fellow quilt guild member told me she was rather disappointed in CT's fabric quality but she was pleased with the prices of their threads.

One day at a time I find acceptance is the key!

If you go to their website and read...this is not true. Their fabric is not made in the USA anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by margecam52 View Post
    Connecting threads also makes (or has them made) their own threads and fabrics in the USA...no huge shipping fees.

I think there's enough wonderful opportunities around for us all to enjoy and spread the so-called "wealth". CT is wonderful, as is 1,000 bolts and many other online shops. That being said, there's still nothing like a local QS to see the fabric quality and color as well as feel the fabric, especially when you are looking for something special. Their guidance and helpfulness is worth its weight in gold. A large chain store such as Joann's is wonderful for books, batting and notions, especially with 40% off. We are blessed to have so many choices to fulfill our creativity and still keep our credit cards from melting. Safe to say most of us are feeling the financial pinch and it's important to stretch that hard earned dollar as far as we can.

I guess I won't be buying from CT anymore if they have moved their production out of the good ole USA.

DD and I was at Joanns last Sat. and I saw several fabrics Wal Mart use to sell. Same quality, they did have some very thin fabrics. Higher prices too.
    I have bought fabrics from connecting threads that is very thick and heavy compared to LQS, Wal Mart, Joanns and Hobby Lobby. I would buy from any time. I don't care where the fabrics are made, nor where they sell them from. We also went to LQS close to us and the prices are outrageous. We had a 20% off coupon on total sale and I had gift cards for Joanns. We only bought fabrics on sale and on clearance at LQS. I see no sense in throwing money away to keep a high priced place in business. I have three times more fabrics then I will ever be able to sew up, no more buying for me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I am shocked at the absence of quilt shops in the area. I live minutes from Mobile, AL. The only quilt shop that I am aware of in the area is 1 hour to the east in Pensacola. So shopping online is much smarter for me because of gasoline prices, but I soooo miss going to a quilt shop to see, feel, experience the fabric, tools, patterns & notions.

An internet only shop does not have to pay for: Rent, utilities, liability insurance, employees, etc. While you may (or may not) get a better price on items from internet only shops - you also do not get any of their expertise: Help with a pattern/fabric choices, nor can you go in an look around when you just need to get out of the house or have some adult company who understands your hobbies and can put you in a much better mood
    All things new quilters need in abundance!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast