Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Collecting Thimbles?

I know we have lots of button collectors here. Anyone totallylove old thimbles? I even collect just the palin old metal and plastic ones, just think they are so cool!

I have several that were my grt aunt's and grt and grandmothers, as well as my mother's. Afew of them date back to Germany

Blog Entries
    I collect thimbles even though I haven't found any cool ones lately. My GF started me on it when she brought me back a thimble from her travels. Mine are not the old ones - but I like them for the looks.

I collect all types, try to get one from places I travel and always on the lookout in antique/junk stores.

I just started and most of my thimbles are from friends and family that have traveled and brought them back to me. They are so beautiful.

Blog Entries
    i've got a couple, but no real place to display them. i don't use them.

I have a few cool ones from my grandmother. I think I'd enjoy collecting them, but the useable kind, not purely decorative.

I have a small collection, added to last year from my Secret Santa, thank you!

I want to display them in an old printers letter tray hanging on the wall. Need to rehang the tray.

I really don't collect thimbles, but I have a few from button tins I've purchased. Just found an advertising thimble from S.S. Kresge. :thumbup:

I have my mother-in-law's thimble. I have bought some to add to hers. I have may be six.
    I also have some of my mothers wood spools of thread. I have about seven. They are the small spools.

Blog Entries
    Most of my thimble collection are from places I've been on vacation, but my Grandma gave me two thimbles that will always be special to me. One from her Monopoly game, and another that is Aluminum.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I do not collect the ones that are useless..BUT I have acquired many of the REAL ones from sewing boxes at estate sales! I even have an Ivory one!

Senior Member cedarvalleyquilts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have my grandmother's quilting thimble, but my husband is the thimble collector in our house. He has his grandmother's plus several that he has collected from estate sales, antique shops, etc. At least these are easier to find room for....he also collects treadle and hand crank sewing machines :)

Christine

No thimbles here unless they're leather ones. I collect pin cushions..

I have my Dh's mother's and his Gr Mother's. i have one that is an angel and it came from my DIL.

Blog Entries
    My children bring me decorative thimbles from where they travel. I didn't start the collection, they did, but I enjoy getting them.

Tuesy, I love pin cushions too!

I love old advertising thimbles - player pianos, food, buggy whips, politics, coal stoves - all sorts of things you don't usually think of as sewing related. I also love the old silver ones with intricate designs.

I found the type boxes to be a scootch to shallow for mine, and ended up putting "bumpers" on the bottom of the case (on the backside) so they would not fall off so easily.

Blog Entries
    LOVE the old thimbles!! :) I have a few, maybe 7 or 8, but I love the darned things! I'm not crazy about the ceramic or porcelain thimbles as they're not really "usable", altho I have a couple of those as well.

I just love the old stuff, no matter what it is...I like to imagine the ladies before me that used the items, and what their lives were like.

Moonpi, I will have to do a search of advertising ones, never knew they had any, would love to see them!
    LOL, Charlee, me too!!!!!!!!!! I get excited about anything "vintage" I think!

Blog Entries
    I have a lot, different places I've been and lots of just plain ones, new ones, plastic ones, leather ones, wooden ones. ones with advertising etc...just saying..I have a bunch...If its for sewing, quilting, crocheting, cross-stitch or embroidering, and its old I collect it...love the vintage stuff..

I have a few...one of my favorites is a sheep thimble a friend gave me for my birthday last year....I collect sheep...she found it on e-bay. Guess you can find just about anything there.

i have collected the usable kind of thimbles for years I have my husband's grandmother's and it has .10 stamped on the side.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    i've got a couple, but no real place to display them. i don't use them.
    I don't use them either, but they look nice on the window sill. I got some from a neighbor and one of them is gold. Each one has a name engraved on it, Mary, Lizzie, Sarah Anne and one has flowers all around the edge. They are quite small, so I am imagining they were for children. The gold one looks like it has a buckle around the bottom part. They are just a little eye candy in my sewing nook!!!!! Edie

Blog Entries
    i collect thimbles but they are decorative. so far i have about 80 and most of them are from our travels or family members travels.i have them displayed in a printers type drawer and as much as i love to look at them they are a pia to dust.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast