Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Collecting Thimbles?

OHHHHHHHHHH, thanks for the picture! You have such pretty ones!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Oh I love thimbles. I display them in an old print drawer. We are getting ready to move so right now they are all packed, but I really like to use them to decorate my sewing room. Its funny that I hate to actually use one.

Quote Originally Posted by greensleeves
    I collect all types, try to get one from places I travel and always on the lookout in antique/junk stores.
    Same for me, I love them, have 3 thimble racks on the wall of my sewing room.
    Maire

I've showed a pix before--here are some more of mine. They are scattered all over and I don't have pix of all my collection..but I have some coin silver dating back to the Civil War times.

s.s. thimble holder in center left
    Name:  Attachment-277738.jpe
Views: 25
Size:  40.8 KB

silver strawberry upper R.. for thimble
    Name:  Attachment-277739.jpe
Views: 24
Size:  43.4 KB

advertisers
    Name:  Attachment-277740.jpe
Views: 21
Size:  35.7 KB

"sewing kits", all complete w/thimbles
    Name:  Attachment-277741.jpe
Views: 27
Size:  35.6 KB

violin is tape measure-most of these are.
    Name:  Attachment-277742.jpe
Views: 28
Size:  32.4 KB

most of these from a friend who travels
    Name:  Attachment-277744.jpe
Views: 21
Size:  34.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

I collect thimbles from different states... still have more to get! Love looking at them in the display case on the wall

Wow, Mermaid, what a great collection!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the pictures!

Blog Entries
    I also collect thimbles, every time we traveled I would look for them.

I received an antique thimble from one of my sons for Christmas last year and put it in one of those cages with a necklace to wear. Love it.
    I have a small collection compared to what I see on this thread and I china paint them too. I took a couple dozen with me when I went to Paducah and gave them away to ladies I knew were not from the USA and anyone who spoke to me, got many smiles and hugs. Talking to a lady from Scotland, I gave her one and she gave me a pin from her quilting guild,wow. I cherish that.
    I have one from a sister in law that was used to advertise chicken laying mash, on it is written, "Lay or
    Die" Ouch. That one makes me laugh. Some plastic ones my DD gave me she got from the father in law, he used them as gifts when he sold vacuum cleaners door to door. Each one has a story.

Carol J.

I would love to have one from each state.
    I love thimbles.

I should have a pix of the thimble whistle--it is quite collectible I've heard. Found it in a flea market booth that was specializing in tobacco related items. Guess they thought it was a cigar holder!

Quote Originally Posted by Mgrubbs
    Tuesy, Do you have any of your pin cushion patterns you could share? My guild is swaping pin cushions at Christmas this year. I have a couple of patterns but still looking for just the right one.
    Go to TipNuts.com... I love this sight......lots of patterns

Morag, Thanks for thesite. I will check it out, love pin cushions too!

I have over 100 thimbles and a nice rack in which to display them.

I've been collecting thimbles for nearly thirty years. I display them in an old printer's drawer hung on the wall. Love 'em!

I have some old ones that I have collected, but I have about 50 or more decorator thimbles from different places I have been and my favorites are my Swarski Crystal Raggedy Ann and a Raggedy Andy.

Blog Entries
    I DO! I DO! just don't have nearly enough to call it a collection!

I started when my mother died.I have hers, which I use almost daily,my grandmothers, my mother-in-laws, a cousin of my dh's
    a few people have given to me, including some that are souviners{sp.}One of which my dgd thoughtfully bought me at the beach. One that came from Spain, an exchange student brought to me. Yes I think they are very unique little collectables.
    Penny

I collect thimbles. Mostly of places I or my friends have visited. I have a few that were gifts just because they looked pretty and a friend thought I'd like to have them - so sweet. It all started when my mother gave me Great-Grandma's thimble/needle case, with her thimble and needle.

If you have more than 3 it's a collection. I have 58. Is that an obsession?

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    i've got a couple, but no real place to display them. i don't use them.
    I have quite a collection of thimbles...old usable ones and those that are souvenir types-like the spoons that some collect. I display them in several of those old typesetter drawers that can be found in antique store......all those little cubbyholes are perfect for thimbles!!!!!!! and they look cool on the wall....

Many years ago I was "forced" (ha..ha) to start a collection of old thimbles... although I must admit she really didn't have to twist my arm.

I've been collecting thimbles for 30 years. I have a seal skin thimble, an antique gold childs thimble, a commemorative Safeways thimble, Disney thimbles, a ceramic thimble I made myself, all my great grandmothers thimbles that she used in her day (and some are quite worn down), and several of the old Manopoly game piece thimbles just to name a few.

i love thimbles, and my "prizes" are some from the UK that were found in medieval and roman sites. there is one that is so tiny that it had to have been a child's. they are made of bronze, and are bent, dented, worn, and patina covered--and i love them. i can feel the history in them when i hold them.

i have my grandmother's old sterling thimble, too--it is plain, but elegant, with a little engraving around the edge. she was an elegant, yet understated victorian lady.

they are lovely reminders of the heritage we have. someday, we may be lucky enough to be remembered by someone who finds one of ours!

Wow!! Mermaid, you have quite the collection going! Looking at your pics I see I have some that you have, like the Coca Cola needle case. One thimble I bet none of you have is a crocheted one my mom made for me years ago :) It has little yellow beads crocheted into it.

Wow! Sandyms, I'd love to see that crocheted thimble--I DO NOT have one of those in my collection. However, I have the keepers-crocheted. Three use a "pulley bone" from a chicken or turkey for the base to hang the holder from. The other (small ivory color-uses a wire.) I love the uniqueness of them.

3 of these use bones
    Name:  Attachment-277870.jpe
Views: 26
Size:  25.9 KB

tatted one uses wire
    Name:  Attachment-277871.jpe
Views: 27
Size:  25.9 KB

I believe the ladies might have attached ribbons and hung their thimbles around their necks.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast