Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Collecting Thimbles?

To Display my thimbles I found an old printers drawer at a flea market. It is divided into small sections. They used to sort their type into this. I just hung it on the wall and filled it up. I got to look for another one, mine is full.

new user
    I have a sister who collects thimbles. Old, new doesn't matter. Her son is in the army and has tried to get one from all over the world. They are wonderful to look at. She finally got a display case for them. There are alot she has gotten from estate sales yard sales ect. too.

He does use a metal detector. He's pretty good at it - you can google him (Robert Bohrn) and you'll get some information on one of his more interesting finds! :)

Debbie from Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    Kydeb, tahts an intresting hobby. Bet he finds some neat stuff! Does he use a metal detector?

I have a real nice thimble collection. Many have been gifts as I have collected them for many years. Have several sm childrens thimbles from the Victorian times.

Super Member HummerGardenCrafts's Avatar
    I have a lot of thimbles. And always looking for new ones. Some are old, some plastic, but a lot from friends have sent them to me. And then I've done several swaps with friends.

Blog Entries
    I have a lot of thimbles. It started out when my daughter played club volleyball & we traveled a lot. I wanted to get something from every place we went but something small so what better than thimbles since I quilt. I need to get another display rack for them though since a lot are in the china cabinet. Have to get hubby to get back in the workshop.

Blog Entries
    Sorry double post.

i collect some of the old ones but i have a friend who just loves thimbles and has so many. some i have given to her but recently we went antiquing and she got most of the president thimbles for like 50 cents each. they were beautiful and several months ago we went antiquing and she had gotten a whole lot of them then and got a wooden thing to display them on. so she has nearly the whole set now for just a little money in it. jaciqltznok-that must be wonderful to have one in ivory. that would be neat.

Debbie, I will google him! Ive always thought that would be so fun!

Blog Entries
    I have a bunch but have them in a box not displayed.

I started to collect about 30 years ago. Have 2 or 3 that
    are advertising. Only 6 0r 8 thimbles total. Haven't added
    to it in years.

Was recently in a Habitat for Humanity Resale Store and they had a nice sewing section. Lots of thimbles, hoops, thread in bulk, filled bobbins, etc. Just a thought for collectors....

Thanks, not sure if we have a store like that here. Will check it out!

I have a collection that my GD gave to me for Birthday one year: Also, have lots from my Mother.

I collect thimbles,tape measures and buttons

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    I know we have lots of button collectors here. Anyone totallylove old thimbles? I even collect just the palin old metal and plastic ones, just think they are so cool!
    I collect porceline or metal thimbles. I started with two my darling mother gave me many years ago. Now I have many from all over the world, , no extra weight.collected by myself friends and family. Love them and they are so easy to pack when you are travelling

I have a big collection of white glass ones with flowers. birds and etc on then. They are for sale as I can't take every thing to assisted living with me. They are in shelves that look like a house.

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid
    Wow! Sandyms, I'd love to see that crocheted thimble--I DO NOT have one of those in my collection. However, I have the keepers-crocheted. Three use a "pulley bone" from a chicken or turkey for the base to hang the holder from. The other (small ivory color-uses a wire.) I love the uniqueness of them.
    Mermaid, I LOVE the thimble keepers!! Did you crochet them yourself? Here are 2 pics of my crocheted thimble. Don't know where my mother found the pattern or if she made it up herself. As you can see, one bead is a different color than the others.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I did not--all the keepers came from antique or junk stores. Your crocheted one is precious! I know you treasure it highly since your mom made it for you. Thanks for showing the pix.

I like the crocheted ones that also hold needles for you. The sombrero and blue hat. My thimbles are all over my house and this is why. Over 750 thimbles, but my favorites are my 2 sterling "A STITCH IN TIME" by Simons Bros. One my DH found in Nebraska and slipped under my pillow when he arrived home at 3 in the morning. Imagine my surprise when I woke in the morning with a strange bump under my pillow.

needles/thimble minder
    Name:  Attachment-278324.jpe
Views: 32
Size:  29.9 KB

hi-heel shoe w/pincushion holds thimble
    Name:  Attachment-278325.jpe
Views: 33
Size:  25.8 KB

pincushion/thimble minder
    Name:  Attachment-278326.jpe
Views: 36
Size:  27.7 KB

Mermaid, I told my husband how many thimbles you had - now he doesn't think my collection of around 275 is a lot :)

I have about 50 and display them in an old printer's drawer on my wall.

I have two show cases of them. Pick them up on vacation and my children would bring them home when they were on vacation.. I have my GM's,Mothers and Mother inlaws.. My son just brought me home 2 from spain...

I've collected them for years, have about 150 of them. I even have the one I used in Home Ec in the late 50's. My mom saved it for me !

Blog Entries
    I love the pincushion/thimble minder! Hmmmmmm, wonder how I can make one. I have never come across any of these...even in a picture.
    HisPatchwork

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast