Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Collecting Thimbles?

I have my DM's old thimbles displayed with two spools of thread and other things I found in her quilting tray. The thimbles have holes worn in them!

I have quite a few - silver ones with the pretty designs, jade, glass, ceramic, plastic advertising ones, Shirley Temple and MArilyn Monroe ones, Elvis, wood, my mom's, special ones given to me by friends that were used by them, ..... Some I collected while we were traveling. Some were gifts. I have a couple little shelving things that hang on the wall for lots of them and a few of the thimbles just sit here and there. I stick a little note inside of the ones that were gifts so I'll remember who gave it to me.

I decided last year that I needed 2 thimbles and headed as always late at night to ebay. I found many listed in groups of 5-6 in England and even with postage to Australia I only paid about $16 for the group. I figured I would give the extras away to my quilt group raffle; but when my daughter saw them she insisted we keep all 6 in our display cabinet -- so now I have a small collection that I never intended to start. They are very nice -- all naval themes like the Victory, battle of Trafalgar, and my father was in the Royal Navy, so I don't mind keeping them all -- but I still need 2 thimbles to use!

I have collected for yrs, but they're hard to find anymore. I mean the sterling & gold ones, altho I have all kinds, advertising, glass, brass, ivory, jeweled, etc. to paper mache. In a 3-drawer thread cabinet, on the wall in 'trays'--over 750 so far. I'm especially proud to own 2 of Simons' Bros. "A STITCH IN TIME" s.s. thimbles...and also an adv. 'thimble whistle. How about the little thimble holders, also called thimble keepers or minders? They are adorable! I have several of those. One thing for certain, a thimble collection doesn't take much room in the house!

I've had a thimble collection for years. I love the ones that are part of a little kit. One of them is metal and the other is celluloid. Of course, my mother's have become part of my collection.

collections are nice if you have room for them

I collect all kinds, have mostly decorative ones and from travels, some old some plastic. have around 300 in cases and shelves.One good thing they don't take up a lot of room.Family and friends bring them to me all the time.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I inherited a silver thimble from my husband's grandmother's collection of sewing articles. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Also have one as a fan pull in my sewing room.

Blog Entries
    Tuesy, Do you have any of your pin cushion patterns you could share? My guild is swaping pin cushions at Christmas this year. I have a couple of patterns but still looking for just the right one.

Yes, I collect thimbles. I have some old ones and I have a couple of wooden ones that have been painted to look like Santa and a Rabbit

I've been collecting thimbles for a while. When my kids travel they always bring me home a thimble. I've got very unusual thimbles from Spain, France, Italy, as well as ones from this country. My daughter's friend went to Israel last year and brought one for me from there. Said she remembered I collected them and thought I'd like it. Now I just need to get my son to make a case for them.

I collect hussifs and etuis, depending on which language you are using.

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    I have collected a few.. the ceremic ones.. also, have my grandmother's.. Nice posts. Thanks !

PS the new jelly ones are amazing to me.. ha ha.. yep.. gone to "the other side" on that one. ;0)

Blog Entries
    i have 3 that are "precious moments" thimbles. they are porcelain with a different month on them. plus a few others, not a big collection, maybe 8.

Jelly ones? I havent seen those yet, will have to do a search, lol! Actually, they MIGHT be comfy, I have a hard time finding one that really fits good!

My husband is a relic hunter - he has found a site that had some sewers. So far, he has found 5 or 6 thimbles. Some crushed, others look perfect. One is tiny. They are all beautiful!!

I used to collect vintage sewing machines, but when hubby said we were running out of room for any more (he had a good point) I started to collect vintage thimbles (which is what I use for my handquilting, too!). They are a bit smaller than the machines, and the same 'historical feeling' as my old treadles. LOVE them!

I used to collect them. I have them all displayed in a showcase on the wall. I need to get back into it again if money permit for it.

Blog Entries
    I like to collect them...all types...but I don't usually use a thimble...even when hand quilting.

Kydeb, tahts an intresting hobby. Bet he finds some neat stuff! Does he use a metal detector?

I used to collect thimbles, but the display case was full and then I was setting them on top of the case. That told me I had enough. (LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
    I like to collect them...all types...but I don't usually use a thimble...even when hand quilting.
    I only use them for the piecing part. :mrgreen:

I have a large collection of thombles, many from my travels and many more as I tried to get the right "fit and feel" for hand quilting.
    My most treasured are a sterling silver thimble and an antique victorian ivory thimble given to me by a friend from England. It belonged to his grandmother.

For oodles of pincushion patterns go to TipNut.com
    Lots of other great ideas and info too. Enjoy :)

My collection includes places I've been, states I've lived in, Disney (cause I live in Mickey's back yard), giraffes and very special ones handed down or given to me from special people. I particularly treasure my Nana's old sterling one and a cut glass thimble an aunt sent to me from Ireland. Brad gave me the glass front case several years ago. Across the top are Avon fashion ladies thimbles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast