Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How good are you at THROWING AWAY???? >

How good are you at THROWING AWAY????

How good are you at THROWING AWAY????

Old 08-17-2011, 05:43 PM

NOT.....
I don't even know where to find the garbage can when it comes to fabric.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Beachbound
Seriously, how good are you about throwing away those strips, orphan blocks, scraps, crumbs, etc? I usually carefully put everything in bins and about once a year decide to try to use some of it up. Right now I am making those mug rugs and I can't tell if my stash is getting smaller. About now I feel like the guy who tries to finish the internet...it just isn't going to happen! :lol: So...do you throw this stuff away, do you keep it until you use, do you close the door & don't worry about using it?
I think I might be a "scrap hoarder" however being new to quilting and finding the Glory of Cotton I am pitching everything that is not 100% cotton. I couldn't be happier.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:17 AM

Getting better! I also cut 2x2 and then toss the rest......
Originally Posted by fudge and furs
Seriously, how good are you about throwing away those strips, orphan blocks, scraps, crumbs, etc? I usually carefully put everything in bins and about once a year decide to try to use some of it up. Right now I am making those mug rugs and I can't tell if my stash is getting smaller. About now I feel like the guy who tries to finish the internet...it just isn't going to happen! :lol: So...do you throw this stuff away, do you keep it until you use, do you close the door & don't worry about using it?
I think I might be a "scrap hoarder" however being new to quilting and finding the Glory of Cotton I am pitching everything that is not 100% cotton. I couldn't be happier.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:08 AM

I take all my extras to my local quilt guild, the are always looking for fabric to make quilts for the veterans

Linda
Old 09-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

I'm a mixture. I throw some small things away and then periodically I go through my stash and give it to big brother big sister.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:07 AM

I hate throwing my stuff away. I have a large collapsal clothes hamper by my sewing machine that I put large scraps in and plastic bags I keep smaller ones in. I even go through the scrap box as my LQS and fill quart size baggies for $5.00. There was a suggestion on this board that we exchange strips for nickle quilts and I think thats a great idea. It would be fun to see how many different ones we would get.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:09 AM

Send me a a PM and we can excange addresses and I will pass some on.
Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
You could always send them to me!!!!! I love scrappy quilts.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I use them all, cut them to the shape I need and pass on the ones i wont use..

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: if anyone wants to get rid of anything less than a fq but bigger than 1x1 i would gladly put them to good use.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-19-2011, 05:09 AM

I'm not a classic hoard, but I am having to FORCE myself to cut down. My parents kept everything.. so.. need I say more - they taught me well. They say if you haven't touched something in 2 years you should get rid of it (like clothing, and garage stuff). I have wardrobes in THREE different sizes.. need I say more?...lol

I have two average sized boxes of scraps so.. not too bad IMO.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:11 AM

hisssssss, that's a dirty word to me ROFLMBO. I'm absolutely terrible at throwing things away. When I finally do work up to it, it never fails, several months go by and then I truly do need something I've tossed and end up buying it again.

Susan
Old 09-19-2011, 05:12 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I got really brave this year and got rid of lots of stuff. That's not like me at all but I just couldn't stand the disaster in my sewing room.
I kept only what I love and I'm a lot happier. I don't miss one thing I gave away!
I am in the process of doing the same thing right now. I just have way way too much......so am going thru my stash and giving to goodwill what I know i will no longer use. But I have to say it is HARD.....wish me luck :-)