Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to  handle a quilt shop moment >

how to handle a quilt shop moment

how to handle a quilt shop moment

Old 10-04-2010, 10:03 AM

The stores that I know that had a BOM only stipulated that you come in to pick up between ___ and ___. Whether you stayed for the demo or not, IMHO, is irrelevant. I would definitely take the clerk aside and say, ''I don't meant to embarass you, BUT....''
Old 10-04-2010, 10:38 AM

your only mistake was patronizing that shop. They are supposed to be a business - you are the customer and deserve better. If it's the only shop in you area, shop on line. Businesses need to learn better ways of treating people if they plan to make a go of it.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I reread your post and you say that you really liked the woman that did this. Chances are that she really likes you to and felt at ease yelling across the parking lot to you. She probably didn't mean to cause you any distress. Speak to her about it. Be nice. Just tell her that you didn't realize that you had to pay if you didn't stay but that you wished she'd waited until the next time you came in and said something then because it really embarrassed you the way it was handled. But be nice, be understanding. She may have been having a really bad day.

Please don't drop out. Make a joke of it at the next meeting. Just laugh about there really being quilt police and that they'll chase you down for a couple of bucks.
Other people can only make you feel bad if you allow them too. By not dealing with it you'll only end up full of resentment. Just take a deep breath, hitch up your big girl britches and get it over with so that you can move on.
wonderful advice!!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 12:30 PM

What happened to confidentiality? They could just catch up with you the next time!!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

wow! yelling across a parking lot and "guilting" you publicly and accepting money in front of others after doing that...I can see why you felt like a shoplifter!!!
She may have promised herself after others leaving that she would confront the next person...but that is the wrong strategy.
Talk about bad ideas and poor people skills...
and she may usually be a nice person! geesh!
Something like this would cause me to never darken their door again and I am not telling you to do that. It's just hard to get over.
Try to talk to somebody there if you can, bc no grown person should be treated like a common thief. or child...unless they have something red hot in their hands!!! :?
Old 10-04-2010, 02:30 PM

again thanks for all the motivation to go next month!! I am going to try those "big girl" britches and a big smile but I tell you it will be hard. But I am a tough lady so I want to be the better person. Is that what our mother's taught us when we growing up. Again thanks for all the caring for a new person!! You are all great!! Now to finish my homework!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by niftynickel
Thanks because I have felt like crying all day!!!
It could be that Iam trying to finish a graduate course in record time too. I didn't say a word to this lady, and she is the one I really like in this shop. The owner is generally touchy so talking with her is definitely out. She scares me. I may just drop out of this monthly group and not join another at this shop.
If you get on well with the others in the group and you have enjoyed going I would keep going, but just let the lady know that she had embarassed you. If you have got on well with her in the past it could be that she was having a bad day.
Good luck with the grad. course.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:00 PM

All real quilt people have people skills...(I've learned that from many others and, of course,this board warms my heart....was this a part-time sales lady with no knowledge of common decencty and respect...shame on her...private talk with the owner/manager will set her straight...Of course, you didn't mean to offend...Don't feel badly...let your heart be your guide. Sally
Old 10-04-2010, 03:08 PM

Sorry to here about your experience.
Check out the area here called Block of the week/month there is one on there that is free and you even can get the templates mailed to you. If you do this one you are not required to go to the meeting, and there are a lot of blocks on this one. I think there are 3 blocks for each month.

Hopefully the sales clerk is reading these posts and gets the lesson on how to treat people with respect.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
Join our group we won't yell or make you feel bad!!!! Welcome to our group you have found a new home!!!
Same here if you ever want to migrate to AUSTRALIA :-D