Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: How to hide a name written on a quilt in pen *sigh*

Blog Entries
    It seems to me you have more than one block to X the names out of-the blocks seem like they are written to both of the married persons-you might want to keep the whole quilt in case they change their minds and get back together again-sorry-it's a beautiful quilt, and the time and sediment making it should not go in vain.

Leave it...whether she remains friends with them or not..she probably still wishes the best for them..and who knows they might get back together..then what...
    Kitty

Ditto! froggyintexas
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    It's a snapshot of a place and time. Removing the name would alter that and really do a disservice to the whole quilt and reason the quilt is being made.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I would leave it as it is. The sentiment was from both of them and just because they have separated, doesn't mean the couple doesn't still feel the same way about the couple that is marrying.
    I agree. If both signed the message, it was from both of them. Leave it as is.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    You could ask the man if he would like his "ex" name to remain on the block, and if not, ask him to rewrite his block. It isn't that difficult to pick those stitches out & inset a new block.
    That's what I would do. Your options are to have him do a new block OR applique something over the ex-wife's name that goes with the concept of the quilt without looking like an afterthought. But I would leave the decision to the newly divorced participant.

I would leave it as it is...they were together at this event. It is historical.
    If the bride inisists you could always applique over it.

Blog Entries
    I would not remove the name. They did exist together and still do only apart. A break up doesn't and shouldn't make a person disappear. Would you remove a name if someone had died? You can't erase the past. You can embrace it and do better in the future.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    You could add some darker fabric over the name as if it were pieced. then to another block, do the same by adding a square of different fabric. just make it look like pieced blocks and no one will know.
    I agree. That would solve the problem.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

I would leave it alone, finish it and give it with all the signatures as they are.

I agree with so many others, simply leave it the way it is. It's so much less trouble for you!
    ~Sheriann~💖 BabyLock Ellisimo 💖 Husqvarna Viking Designet 1ESS 💖 BabyLock Imagine 💖 Janome Jem Platinum 760 ♥ Beloved Gram's 1924 Singer Treadle 💖 1937 & 1953 Singer Featherweights #IAMSEWBLESSED ♥

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    I agree whole-heartedly with this
    Same here!!

Was she at the wedding? If so, leave it. The quilt is reflecting their wedding guests. If you had the blocks signed before the wedding, and they split before that day, then maybe cover it with a square of the fabric which is in the block to the right. Try to make it look like another pieced block?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3