Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to hide a name written on a quilt in pen *sigh*

What happens if you remove it then they get back together?! I'd leave it be.

I would leave it on there. It was meant to be regardless of there problems. It is not your responsibility to remove it. Hope it works out.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Quote Originally Posted by lakekids View Post
    I am not sure that I would cover the name at all. The message was heartfelt and reflected the wishes for the NEW couple (not the state of the signing couple).
    I agree with this.
    Peace

Blog Entries
    I would offer to cover the name with a needle turn applique and use one of the leaves from the other fabric I see if that's what the recipients request
    If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours!

Blog Entries
    Leave it................................................ ..........
    Just passing through!

I would leave it - they were together at the time of the wedding. It's history - you can't change history ;-)
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

I guess this problem illustrates the risks of having autograph quilts. You certainly expect to have some names autographed that you don't really want later, but the problem sure came up quickly on yours -- before the quilt was even finished! I agree to leave it unless the couple requests a change.
    Dayle

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't take her name out. The wishes were heartfelt and who knows, they may work things out and she might be back. Stranger things have happened.
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

Unless the circumstance is such that it would be hurtful to someone, I would leave it as it is. If you absolutely feel you have to remove it, maybe you could carefully cut the square out, pen a nice message on a new square, and hand stitch it over the empty space.

I would leave it.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    why remove it..they were friends before the divorce

Banned
    Blog Entries
    sorry, but I would leave it...what if they get back together? let the new bride decide what to do with it AFTER it is finished!

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    It's a snapshot of a place and time. Removing the name would alter that and really do a disservice to the whole quilt and reason the quilt is being made.
    I agree with Candace. When I got married 100 years ago, my brother insisted his girlfriend be in our family portrait. I never saw her again after the wedding. When I look at my wedding photos, there she is--I don't even remember her name. But those signature squares symbolize the hopes and dreams for the new couple at that time. I'm sure they won't be the only couple who breakup while the quilt is being treasured.

Make another square or rectangle to cover just the area that has the problem name and write a small quote of your own, like.
    Make the very best of what you have,
    Life is always changing!

I agree with Candace. Our history is a part of us and when the newlyweds see the seperated couples names, they will remember events that occured with them in the past and be greatful for their wishes. I look at pictures of some of my friends now and remember and smile. And most of them are walking down different roads now.

I made a memory quilt for a beloved relative who was getting married. The marriage ended very badly because of domestic violence and there was only one picture of the offending party on the quilt right smack dab in the center. Now it is relegated to a storage compartment somewhere probably never to be seen again as a result of the very bad ending. I know it is about that moment in time, now that only carries very poor memories. Makes me sad. The rest of the quilt is beautiful and they loved it at the time. Might talk to the people and see what they recommend. Maybe they would be okay with leaving it or maybe another creative solution.

Look at the saying on the bottom of your blog area......................nothing is a mistake.............you learn from some...........I think it should remain there on the quilt...................it wasn't a mistake. It was a learning experience and the new couple may learn something very positive from it! It's a beautiful quilt made from the hearts of many people.

That's what I was thinking, whatever you do to cover the name, you will need to do to a couple more of the blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    You could add some darker fabric over the name as if it were pieced. then to another block, do the same by adding a square of different fabric. just make it look like pieced blocks and no one will know.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Please leave it the way it is. Never know they might get back together.

Leave it. I hope "permanent" ink is permanent as we have read so many missing quilts. This would be another "bad use" of a good intention. (Sad to have to even think of those that are devious)
    Carol

Wait until after the wedding ,then if the couple wants the name removed you can cover it.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

you could always applique a heart or something over it.
    Debbie in Tn

My opinion is to leave it there. It was their sentiment 'at the time of signing the blocks'. If a person had to make changes to a quilt every time there was a change in life's scene, it would be dramatic. And if it's your gift, it doesn't need the recipients approval. Am sure they aren't going to 'throw it out' or 'not use it' just because that block is in there. If they do, they weren't worthy of the gift in the first place. That's blunt, but IMHO.

At the time they signed it, they were still married. That what memories are made of....life experiences good and bad. I would leave it. You didn't do anything bad. Life goes on. We don't live in a perfect world and how boring it would be if we did! Great idea for a quilt. I'm sure they will love it.
    Marilyn

Quote Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky View Post
    I'm doing a wedding quilt for some friends. I had their family and friends sign a 10.5" square (took 6 months to get all the squares back! ). The quilt top is all together, just waiting on a border. Well, since then, one of the marriages broke up and I have a lovely square, in the middle of the quilt, with both of their names on it. I used the Pigma permanent ink pens and have already iron set the ink. Any ideas how I can cover her name?

I included a picture of the quilt so you can get an idea of what it looks like. It's pretty basic in design so I feel like doing some raw edge applique would look very out of place.

I'd leave the names alone, unless one of the parties requests that you remove the name.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast