Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How large of a  QUILT you would Machine QUILT on regular machine? >

How large of a QUILT you would Machine QUILT on regular machine?

How large of a QUILT you would Machine QUILT on regular machine?

Old 09-24-2011, 04:36 PM

I have quilted many king quilts on my regular sewing machine I have a designer 1 and a new home embroidery machine and never had any problems quilting I start in the middle & work out I do find it easier to turn the quilt with the less next to the machine.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-261795.jpe  
Old 09-24-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn
Originally Posted by PatchGirl
I have made a small baby quilt in the past that I only machine quilted by doing the stitch in the ditch with clear thread so all mistakes would not be pronounced, and it was difficult at best, trying to roll it up and maneuver it etc. I was wondering what the largest size quilt any of you have done on your machine? THere are probably tips and tricks I haven't learned yet that would make it easier or not? Or do you just opt to hand quilt or have it LA quilted etc?
I prefer to send the 'big ones' to the LA. I usually do full and smaller on my machine.

As one of the gals already posted, don't roll. I tried it ONCE and that was ONCE to many, I was fighting the roll the whole way. Scrunching the fabric is much easier.

My tips ~
Machingers gloves - help a whole lot, whether FMQ or simple grid work

Machine - surface is flat, either a acrylic table or the machine is in a cabinet.

Space - can also play a part, behind the machine AND on the side.

Quilt weight - keep as much of the quilt on your table surface. Set your ironing board to the left, for the bigger ones.

PRACTICE - FMQ does take (LOTS of) practice! But so does simple grid work and SID!

BREATH - lots of us when we start 'quilting' forget ;)

Quilting our tops is like making our quilt tops! We didn't start out on the complicated patterns. Baby steps before we run!
Well said! I made a queen size on my standard machine (6" throat) and it was a real struggle (lots of frustration and ripping out) to do the center. It got easier as I got to the outer edges. At the time, I swore never again but now that it's on my bed, it doesn't look TOO bad. Also I got lots of wonderful encouragement from the the quilters on this board. I soon quit trying to roll the quilt, used gloves and most importantly, breath and blink now and then. :lol: It can be done (I think)! Good luck.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Suzi
Have done a queen and it was difficult (to say the least) but got it done!
I have too, but the batting was very thin. Made rolling it easier. It was difficult, and I too did the SITD.It really came out nice and the crooked lines, etc. don't show once it's all said and done. I suggest using those little "clamps" that look like bracelets to hold the roll together. Works well.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:40 PM

Love this quilt - so homey looking!!
Old 09-24-2011, 04:53 PM

Largest so far has been a full size - next up is a Queen, and I'm debating on quilting sections then putting together.... any tips?
Old 09-24-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by PatchGirl
I have made a small baby quilt in the past that I only machine quilted by doing the stitch in the ditch with clear thread so all mistakes would not be pronounced, and it was difficult at best, trying to roll it up and maneuver it etc. I was wondering what the largest size quilt any of you have done on your machine? THere are probably tips and tricks I haven't learned yet that would make it easier or not? Or do you just opt to hand quilt or have it LA quilted etc?
Queen sized. Since I sew in a space no bigger (and probably smaller) than 3 x 5, I had to put a tv tray on one side and put a bunch in my lap but it worked well.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by dilyn
I just did 2 queens and am now planning a king...wish me luck!
good luck you can do it !!
Old 09-24-2011, 05:28 PM

A ffriend of mine quilts all her quiltsup to queen size on her Hus. Viking Designrer 1. She said not to roll it because it makes it to stiff like a log. She says she just pushes it and lets it bunch up. It definatley takes prastice. I don't know if these links will work. Go to youtube and search Leah Day - Quilting Big quilts on a small machine. She is good instructor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdBpL...eature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc2Y1...eature=related
Old 09-24-2011, 05:42 PM

I just finished a 110" x 110" king sized one on my Bernina. After reading thru the other posts, it seems that most 'bunch and pool' rather than roll. I have found 'bunch and pool' to much easier too. I always put my ironing board in front of my machine table to catch the bulk of the quilt from pulling and have tables on my left to support the weight. Some type of gloves help with the movement. I have machingers or I use surgical gloves - they really let you feel your quilt. I spray baste, but also use safety pins, since I am doing so much bunching. I've stippled, SID, quilted each block, cross hatched, borders... my life doesn't allow long periods at a sewing machine, but then if I can get an hour in here and there, then the breaks(work, meals, sleep, etc) are forced, and eventually it gets done! I have always been pleased with the results, and that is good, because I don't have room in my house for a long arm!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:12 PM

I did a queen and would never do it again.