Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How large of a  QUILT you would Machine QUILT on regular machine? >

How large of a QUILT you would Machine QUILT on regular machine?

How large of a QUILT you would Machine QUILT on regular machine?

Old 09-24-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
So if I've read the responses correctly, some of you quilt in sections by making each section an individual quilt and then stitching them together when complete.

Others of you machine quilt in sections, but the whole quilt is one large piece. I'm very interested in how this is done. Do you pin or spray baste it, then work in one spot at a time? Do you work from the center of the section out or from what is the center of the quilt out? How do you bunch, either scrunch or roll, the sections of the quilt you are not working on? I think I'm going to have to invest in one of those table add on things that make extend off the bed of the machine creating a little table that's at the same level of the machine.

I've machine quilted one queen size. I only did a cross hatch, but then did a coil border on it. Worst quilting ever. I was really unhappy with it. Bunched up. Had to rip half the stitching out and redo it as there were puckers and wrinkles that were then quilted on. Big pain in the rear.

I'm not very computer savvy. Are there specific things to try and search for like words or phrases to find a tute either on this board or somewhere else? I'm going to have another queen size that will need to be machine quilted in about a year. I'm wanting to do some research on the best way to quilt it. Any resources that you guys would suggest?

Thanks...

Melissa
the only way i know how to quilt a loarge quilt on my regular machine is this ..it is not simple but it works for me. after finishing my top i lay the backing on the floor(or large table if i can use one at the civic center) face up and tape it down to the floor tight and straight, then i lay my batting (warm and natural) on top of that all straight then ilay my top on top of that all straight when it looks like i have everything straight i look at it and decide how big of section i want to quilt at a time i usually do it in 3 rds, two sides and the middle, i pull the top back on its self and find the middle section , i then CAREFULLY cut the batting only into 3 sections left side middle and right side and at one end of the batting (the excess) along the bottom i write left, midddle right , i cut the sections of the BATTING ONLY) becareful not to cut the backing also! then i take the left side off and the right side off and spray baste the middle section where it belongs to the backing , spray again the top of the batting (the part that will lye against the top and pull the top over the middle section i sprayed and pat it down to make sure it is set correct let it sit for about 10 minutes to adhere then take the other sections i cut out set them aside for later , roll up the sides that have no batting and quilt that section with batting , dont go all the way to the batting end side in quilting because you have to set the next row of batting next to it you can then go back and quilt that section when put together after the middle is done lay quilt out again and spray baste the next marked section of batting make sure to butt the edges up to the side you already didspray it in place , quilt the same way and do the other side putting the batting in place and quilting it , then the whole quilt is done and the pushing and pulling thru the sewing macine is not as difficult because you dont have the bulk the batting makes, i also thinkit is very useful and a must is to have a large table that sits to the left of you for the quilt to lay on as you are quilting also a fair amount of spce ahead of you as the quilt comes out of the machine if you can have you sewing machine facing a wall with a space big enough for your quilt to lay on after coming out of the machine it is easier, the wall will prevent it from going back on the floor and not gettin drag as the table to the left of you will also keep it up so as not to get drag , also dont forget to use your sewing gloves i hope this helps it is the only way i can quilt my large quilts till i can get me a larger sewing machine
Old 09-24-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
Probably the largest I've done so far is 60x80 or so. I am going to try quilting in sections on the next quilt.

I find it easier to handle if I don't roll the quilt...I just fan fold or scrunch it up.
Me too...about 60 x 80. It gets easier with practice, especially if you're doing something other than free motion (I'm still learning that skill). Scrunching works for me too...or what someone calls the "smoosh, smoosh, flatten" method.

I'm starting to experiment with quilting in sections and have a large scrappy underway that I plan to do that on. And you can always add borders after quilting the center section of the top. I have Marti Michell's book, Machine Quilting in Sections, and it has several methods.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:32 AM

OMG tooo funny :) love it
Originally Posted by sewwhat85
maybe 16 inches by 16 inches LOL
Old 09-24-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by penski
So if I've read the responses correctly, some of you quilt in sections by making each section an individual quilt and then stitching them together when complete.

Others of you machine quilt in sections, but the whole quilt is one large piece. I'm very interested in how this is done. Do you pin or spray baste it, then work in one spot at a time? Do you work from the center of the section out or from what is the center of the quilt out? How do you bunch, either scrunch or roll, the sections of the quilt you are not working on? I think I'm going to have to invest in one of those table add on things that make extend off the bed of the machine creating a little table that's at the same level of the machine.

I've machine quilted one queen size. I only did a cross hatch, but then did a coil border on it. Worst quilting ever. I was really unhappy with it. Bunched up. Had to rip half the stitching out and redo it as there were puckers and wrinkles that were then quilted on. Big pain in the rear.

I'm not very computer savvy. Are there specific things to try and search for like words or phrases to find a tute either on this board or somewhere else? I'm going to have another queen size that will need to be machine quilted in about a year. I'm wanting to do some research on the best way to quilt it. Any resources that you guys would suggest?

Thanks...

Melissa
the only way i know how to quilt a loarge quilt on my regular machine is this ..it is not simple but it works for me. after finishing my top i lay the backing on the floor(or large table if i can use one at the civic center) face up and tape it down to the floor tight and straight, then i lay my batting (warm and natural) on top of that all straight then ilay my top on top of that all straight when it looks like i have everything straight i look at it and decide how big of section i want to quilt at a time i usually do it in 3 rds, two sides and the middle, i pull the top back on its self and find the middle section , i then CAREFULLY cut the batting only into 3 sections left side middle and right side and at one end of the batting (the excess) along the bottom i write left, midddle right , i cut the sections of the BATTING ONLY) becareful not to cut the backing also! then i take the left side off and the right side off and spray baste the middle section where it belongs to the backing , spray again the top of the batting (the part that will lye against the top and pull the top over the middle section i sprayed and pat it down to make sure it is set correct let it sit for about 10 minutes to adhere then take the other sections i cut out set them aside for later , roll up the sides that have no batting and quilt that section with batting , dont go all the way to the batting end side in quilting because you have to set the next row of batting next to it you can then go back and quilt that section when put together after the middle is done lay quilt out again and spray baste the next marked section of batting make sure to butt the edges up to the side you already didspray it in place , quilt the same way and do the other side putting the batting in place and quilting it , then the whole quilt is done and the pushing and pulling thru the sewing macine is not as difficult because you dont have the bulk the batting makes, i also thinkit is very useful and a must is to have a large table that sits to the left of you for the quilt to lay on as you are quilting also a fair amount of spce ahead of you as the quilt comes out of the machine if you can have you sewing machine facing a wall with a space big enough for your quilt to lay on after coming out of the machine it is easier, the wall will prevent it from going back on the floor and not gettin drag as the table to the left of you will also keep it up so as not to get drag , also dont forget to use your sewing gloves i hope this helps it is the only way i can quilt my large quilts till i can get me a larger sewing machine
i forgot to tell you i only use 505 basting spray
Old 09-24-2011, 11:52 AM

i did a king size quilt for my dad....it was a bit trying at times, but i did get it done!!!! hopefully now the queen sizes will seem easier!!
Old 09-24-2011, 12:05 PM

Wow, that is a much better explanation. That certainly makes sense to me. I also swear by the 505, but I don't quite trust my spraying experience yet, so when I use the 505 I don't stop using the pins too, I just use less.

I've saved your response for later use.

Thanks again!

Not completing the quilt top, cutting up the batting and then the backing as well, then going back and stitching it all together and seaming the back by hand seemed like a WHOLE LOTTA work.

I need to get some of those quilting gloves. Next 40% off coupon day!
Old 09-24-2011, 12:12 PM

I just did 2 queens and am now planning a king...wish me luck!
Old 09-24-2011, 12:18 PM

Wow, that is a much better explanation. That certainly makes sense to me. I also swear by the 505, but I don't quite trust my spraying experience yet, so when I use the 505 I don't stop using the pins too, I just use less.

I've saved your response for later use.

Thanks again!

Not completing the quilt top, cutting up the batting and then the backing as well, then going back and stitching it all together and seaming the back by hand seemed like a WHOLE LOTTA work.

I need to get some of those quilting gloves. Next 40% off coupon day!
i dont use pins and if you let the quilt sit and if you spray the quilt good enough i have moved my quilt all around with no problem !! just check it every once in awhile to make sure there are no puckers on the back because after spraying it you can go back and re adjust it if not straight, good luck and let me know if it works for you
Old 09-24-2011, 12:22 PM

There's a book "Machine Quilting in Sections" by Marti Michell that gives many of the techniques that everyone is talking about here.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:48 PM

I just finished what I refer to as a large queen t-shirt & delivered it back in June. I have two more queens to do, one of them another large queen. A pinwheel which I doing straight stitch on in the ditch & out. Doing FMQ on the other one. I prefer FMQ for it is easier to do the quilting when you can scrunch it up or nest it as I have heard it called.