Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How large of a  QUILT you would Machine QUILT on regular machine? >

How large of a QUILT you would Machine QUILT on regular machine?

How large of a QUILT you would Machine QUILT on regular machine?

Old 09-24-2011, 08:20 AM

Baby quilts and lap quilts but it is hard on my bad shoulder so I have to do it in several sessions.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Regular size is my largest.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:22 AM

Don't roll it up, just scrunch it - or it will not lay flat on the area you are quilting
Old 09-24-2011, 08:27 AM

I did the last one, I think was around 5'x4', with minimal quilting. I just sewed around the designs. I used warm and natural that can be spaced 10" apart.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:43 AM

i have done a king size , but i divide my quilt up in sections and only put the batting in the section i am working on it is easier to FMQ that way when you only need to roll up the top and bottom fabric
Old 09-24-2011, 09:14 AM

So if I've read the responses correctly, some of you quilt in sections by making each section an individual quilt and then stitching them together when complete.

Others of you machine quilt in sections, but the whole quilt is one large piece. I'm very interested in how this is done. Do you pin or spray baste it, then work in one spot at a time? Do you work from the center of the section out or from what is the center of the quilt out? How do you bunch, either scrunch or roll, the sections of the quilt you are not working on? I think I'm going to have to invest in one of those table add on things that make extend off the bed of the machine creating a little table that's at the same level of the machine.

I've machine quilted one queen size. I only did a cross hatch, but then did a coil border on it. Worst quilting ever. I was really unhappy with it. Bunched up. Had to rip half the stitching out and redo it as there were puckers and wrinkles that were then quilted on. Big pain in the rear.

I'm not very computer savvy. Are there specific things to try and search for like words or phrases to find a tute either on this board or somewhere else? I'm going to have another queen size that will need to be machine quilted in about a year. I'm wanting to do some research on the best way to quilt it. Any resources that you guys would suggest?

Thanks...

Melissa
Old 09-24-2011, 09:17 AM

For those of you who quilt your quilts in sections, then stitch the separate pieces together -- Just how is this accomplished? I can feature sewing the top layers together for each section, then hand stitching the backs of the quilt together, but what about the batting? Do you do an additional step of hand stitching the two pieces of batting together by butting the two ends and doing a sort of \/\/\/ stitch across the two pieces? Is there any extra quilting involved after you get the quilted pieces all together.

Sorry for all the questions, but this sounds like a wonderful idea for quilting larger quilts.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:29 AM
mac

The largest quilt that I have done is a king-sized bedspread (larger than the regular quilt size). My brother wanted the quilt to go to the floor on all sides of the bed.

I toiled on this in December in my garage because that was the only space that was big enough to have two tables on the left side of my sewing machine and one behind my sewing machine.

It was quite heavy and would sometimes have to have my DH hold up the weight of the quilt so I could actually move it around. I did stipple quilting on the quilt. It was quite a chore. Even though I live in California, it was still quite cold in the garage and my fingers would turn blue sometimes.

I finished the quilt at 4am Christmas morning. My brother's remark to me was, "why do cut apart fabric only to sew it back together again?" With my lack of sleep, the comment wasn't taken well. But, over the years he has taken good care of it - I think it is finally thread-bare, but that was 32 years ago.

Would I ever do a king-sized quilt again in a home sewing machine? Probably not. I would most likely do a quilt-as-you-go for a king-size quilt.

The nice thing though, was I got a lot of shoulder massages from DH.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by PatchGirl
I have made a small baby quilt in the past that I only machine quilted by doing the stitch in the ditch with clear thread so all mistakes would not be pronounced, and it was difficult at best, trying to roll it up and maneuver it etc. I was wondering what the largest size quilt any of you have done on your machine? THere are probably tips and tricks I haven't learned yet that would make it easier or not? Or do you just opt to hand quilt or have it LA quilted etc?
The first quilt I ever made (didn't say I was sane) was a king size bed quilt. The pattern lent itself to doing 1/3 sections, so I did that, quilted each, then joined the sections together before binding. Worked out fine. I only have an old Pfaff to work with.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by PatchGirl
I have made a small baby quilt in the past that I only machine quilted by doing the stitch in the ditch with clear thread so all mistakes would not be pronounced, and it was difficult at best, trying to roll it up and maneuver it etc. I was wondering what the largest size quilt any of you have done on your machine? THere are probably tips and tricks I haven't learned yet that would make it easier or not? Or do you just opt to hand quilt or have it LA quilted etc?
The first quilt I ever made (didn't say I was sane) was a king size bed quilt. The pattern lent itself to doing 1/3 sections, so I did that, quilted each, then joined the sections together before binding. Worked out fine. I only have an old Pfaff to work with.

Sorry about the double reply...