Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How long do you keep thread?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries

How long do you keep thread?

I started to ask this in a reply to another post but didn't want to hi-jack their post. How long do you keep thread. I have a couple bags of thread I got at an estate sale last year. I use some for small piecing like yo yos and hexies. One bag is nothing but polyester the other is a mix. Many on wooden spools. I've done a strength test on some and just not really sure how old the thread is. Most of it is Coats & Clark. Some of the spools still have cellophane around them apparently not used.

I use it tell it's gone or it starts to shred and brake.

Forever. If it's old, I just pull on it. If it breaks, I thow it out.
    Penny

Blog Entries
    Until its gone. Thread can be good for many years- and new thread can be garbage.
    As long as it holds up to the tug- test I use it. When it is too weak for a tug it can still be used for hand basting hexies or other uses
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I have some pretty old and I'm still using it. If it would break easy or shred, I'd chunk it. I think in most cases, it's been stored indoors, and is good for a very long time. My neighbor retired years ago from a suit factory, and she has containers full of paper bobbins loaded with gray, brown, beige thread, and she gave me a bunch of it, I use it for hand sewing hexies, it's thin, but very strong, can't break it.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I have been the fortunately recipient of quite a bit of donated thread. I'm using it all....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
    Forever. If it's old, I just pull on it. If it breaks, I throw it out.
    I'm with you, but I don't throw it out... i put it in a pretty glass bowl to decorate my sewing room
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    Like the others have said - if it breaks easily - I don't use it.
    If it is still strong, I will use it.

There are still some antique quilts holding together - so that thread seems to still be "good"

Although there are some that will discard or pass on some brands after they start using another brand - even though the thread is still usable.

Until the spool is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
    Until the spool is empty.
    I was thinking the same thing
    Nancy

Exactly as all the others have said...till it doesn't work anymore! Then either toss or use for decoration (I like that idea, btw).

If I have some doubt I will use it to baste - applique, hexies etc.....

For as long as I can pull on it and it doesn't break. I still use off spools I've had for 20-30,years.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    I'm with you, but I don't throw it out... i put it in a pretty glass bowl to decorate my sewing room
    Me too I agree

If there are colors you know you won't use, be sure to just throw away the thread - and keep the wooden spool. They are so cool and can be used to decorate your sewing room.
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

Blog Entries
    As others have said when it becomes a pain by constantly breaking or shredding. The only thread I know with a short life is invisible thread which I was told lasts about 2 years . If the invisible thread snaps easily when you pull it with your hands the throw away.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I agree. I have some of my Grandmother's wooden spools (I'm 63) and won't throwaway those pretty wooden spools. I occasionally use it for hand basting.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    Wish there was a like button. Great suggestion.

Tug-test! Anything that passes the tug test is probably suitable for machine sewing. Anything that fails is still good for non-critical hand-sewing; like basting or putting together mockups or adding decorative whip-stitching.

If the thread is terribly faded or really falling apart and on a wooden spool I'll strip off the thread and keep the spool. I find uses for them here and there. When I put cabinets into my sewing room I rustled up 10 small wooden spools about the same size, wound a layer of turquoise or orange thread onto each of them (my accent colors for the room), and used them as knobs for my cabinet doors! I love them!

Blog Entries
    Until spool is used or fails the tug test. Thread is expensive.

I have some spools that are at lest 50 years old and pass the tug test. I will use it until it is used up! froggyintexas

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I do have some thread that belonged to my grandmother (forgot I had it). I thank you all for the replies because I counted 50+ spools, some not used. Would hate to replace all of it.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I pull on it and if it doesn't break I use it. I just finished up using a spool of thread that I used to make a bridesmaid dress in the early 70's and it was just fine. I remember the spool because of the unusual color which is also why it probably took so long to use up.
    I try not to waste thread. As a spool gets a little on it I use it for hand basting. I use the leftover thread on my bobbins for hand sewing or use the bobbin on the thread spindle on my machine and use it up that way.

If it still works, use it. I have saved and used some that is weaker for basting as it isn't permanent

Yep! Use the thread until it is gone. I have quilts that are nearly 100 years and they are still holding together nicely, so I use old thread that I have (after testing it).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast