Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long does it usually take you to make a bed-sized quilt? >

How long does it usually take you to make a bed-sized quilt?

Old 12-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

I don't do really intricate piecing or paper piecing, so a quilt usually takes me less than a week. Some have taken only 3-4 days. The most difficult piecing I've done was a Union Jack quilt for my daughter and I worked on those blocks for several weeks, off and on.

I made 10 bed size quilts this year (that I can recall!) and about 10 childs' sized I Spy quilts for donation. I also made several tops for customers, maybe 7 or 8?

I used to be an avid knitter and crocheter, and I still do those things, but quilting really seems to suck me into "the black hole"....
Old 12-30-2013, 12:07 PM

I'm in the "It's not a race." camp. I do it because I enjoy it it doesn't matter how long it takes. It would be different if I was being paid. I'm still working on my first one as I get the opportunity. It'll be done when it's done. I did just sign on for the Quilts for Quilters exchange and that one does have a deadline but it's not until the beginning of August so that won't be any sort of rush either.
Rodney
Old 12-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Depends on how much I work on it....
Old 12-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

I've never really kept track, however, I finished a king size log cabin quilt in about a month, then sent it to my niece to quilt, as it was for our family reunion and I was facing surgery on my torn rotator cuff. I also finished the top for a twin/full quilt for our DGD, which had lots of pieced and appliqued blocks, before my surgery, and finished it in Dec. on Christmas Eve, just in time to give it to her for Christmas. She loved it.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:50 PM

Sometimes I whip them out in 2 or 3 days. And then there are those not finished I've had for 2 or 3 years
Old 12-30-2013, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by mary123 View Post
Know that varies greatly with the pattern, but I am just curious what your
average time would be.
How many quilts did you make in 2013?
Wishing all of you sister quilters a wonderful New Year!!!!
*edited to add - wishing all of the brother quilters a wonderful new year also!!!! (Lol!)
Old 12-30-2013, 06:13 PM

average time would be.
To answer your question..... many variables can determine the time to complete.
4 years to complete the queen size Cathedral Window for my younger daughter and 3 years to complete a queen sized Log Cabin that was hand quilted for my older daughter.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:27 PM

It depends. Sometimes it seems like a quilt will take forever and at other times I can knock out a few in a short time. If it's one for someone else it takes precedence but if it's not for anyone in particular I might put it on the back burner and start others and have several going at the same time. During the holiday season I made quilted purses, neck rolls, pillowcases, 2 quilts and crocheted about 15 scarves and several hats & a headband. I loved every minute of it but now I'm slowly crocheting edgings on towels until I figure out how I want to finish the quilt for our guild's auction and then I'll dive into it and knock it out. It's on again off again depending on how much of a toll my job takes on me, so we'll see how it goes. Wow, after re-reading this I'm feeling pretty productive. Yay
Old 12-30-2013, 11:56 PM

average time would be.
The top: from 8-20 hours for the average one. A "nonaverage" one, maybe up to 60 hours.

Sandwiching average quilt: 1/2 hour-1 hour. I use spray baste and safety pins. I use my dining room table, which is almost 3 yards long and 40" wide. Poly batting.

Quilting: FMQ on my Janome Horizon 7700: between 2-3 hours (simple. smaller) up to 4x that for straight line quilting or large quilt. I haven't gotten into complicated FMQ yet. Time could 4x-10x that if someone is doing dense quilting.

I generally make twin size or larger--sometimes bunk bed sized (not as wide as a regular twin).

I FINISHED 104 quilts this year.

Over half of those tops were already made in previous years,
* about 15 of the 104 were donated tops that I just finished, and
* maybe 20-40 from "start to finish"completed in 2013.

It is so hard to know when I start something because sometimes (for example) I put together 9 patches and then put them away til a later time, or sew fabric on adding machine tape to be used in a scrappy quilt, etc.

Last edited by justflyingin; 12-31-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

I don't consider creating quilts a 'race' to see how many I can get done - but I do tend to manage a lot of quilts in a year. it does depend on lots of things- the quilt, the pattern, the fabrics, the person/organization it is being made for- lots of variables involved. I have quilts that I consider - fun- love the pattern, love the fabrics, happily sewing- everything going well I can spend a weekend in my sewing room & get it done. I also have quilts that I have been working on for over a year (and still working on) I work on many projects at a time so always have them in various stages of completion- and everyone & then I will have 4 or 5 suddenly come together it seems like all at once. that's kind of an exciting day (often Saturday) when I can come out of the sewing room & show hubby 5 finished tops at once . sometimes I do have deadlines or requests for a 'hurry up' job- but I generally just work along at my own pace. when I start a new 'big project' that I know will take months/years like one with a lot of hand work, detail I also work on ones that can go together faster- for some reason it helps keep me going on the big one to show i'm accomplishing something with the easier ones. as for 'numbers' I make anywhere between 40 & 100 quilts a year- depends on the year- I've had a few 'slow' years (worked a lot- didn't have time to sew a lot) where I only made 25-30...then I've had years where I managed my time better- or had a job/projects I could work on during breaks/down time at work - and I've made many more. I don't worry about the numbers I only worry about my next project when I finish one.