Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to make time aka DD coming home from college >

How to make time aka DD coming home from college

How to make time aka DD coming home from college

Old 05-13-2010, 05:28 AM

They are big enought to care for themselves and could work??
In any case, set aside time for yourself - have fun
Old 05-13-2010, 09:15 AM

I am agreeing with everyone, do your thing and remind her she can take care of herself and even help out around the house too. Also, since she is home from college, she will probably want to hang out with her friends so you probably will have more time then you think!!!! Good luck!!!

~Sylvia~
Old 05-13-2010, 11:47 AM

I ditto what everyone is saying. They tend to change while away at college, and it probably wont be like you imagine at all. Have fun this summer with her and with your quilting.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:48 PM

I can relate...I have 2 DDs home from college! Both will be working this summer and I will be home (I teach school.) I do find that my sewing room becomes a storage space for their 'overflow' and I really do not sew as much as I would like. I would say, just set a routine...if you want to sew alone from 7-8, or 9, every evening....just do it. Your DD can find something else to entertain herself....suggest she go for a walk, go play tennis, read a book, whatever she likes to do. I intend to sew in the afternoons while it is hot and nobody is home. Then in the evenings, I will be free to do things with my girls, if they want. Enjoy!
Old 05-13-2010, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Remember that she's used to her independence too and she considers herself an adult now, not a child to be taken care of. If she's not working while she home then perhaps she should take over some of the household chores giving you MORE time to sew. Sharing the chores will give both of you more time to enjoy each other and individual interests. If she gets a job then sew while she's working. If she insists on being an appendage then buy her a machine. Set boundaries right off the bat and tell her that you're taking a few hours a day to sew---ALONE.
Excellent advice.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:31 PM

Smiling, It seems that your daughters coming home is a wonderful time for you as well. The time you have spent sewing/quilting, should be able to continue as well. You will have dinner together and if you sew for just an hour, there is time after as well. She may find she might enjoy that time to read or watch a program herself. I would not fret over the hour you take to yourself as your life has been filled with a new avenue. Enjoy her and your alone time too.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:15 PM

Oh my gosh, don't worry about quilting at all. Enjoy that daughter while you can, they grow and leave home so fast. I would love to have my daughter here for the summer, even if I didn't get to sew a stitch! I still get teary eyed when I hear that Suzy Boggus record called "Letting Go". My daughter is 40 and lives in a different state and I miss her terribly.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Banned

I would quilt when you want, you raised your daughter, so you don't have to entertain her, she is an adult. so keep quilting and enjoy those visits as well. God bless. Penny
Old 05-14-2010, 07:56 PM

maybe she's wondering how to do her own thing without hurting your feelings.
she's not used to answering to anyone anymore and has that 'other' life that doesn't include moms. she's a grown woman now, after all.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Just out of curiosity, I see she has been home for a couple of days now, how's it going so far? Got any quilting done?