Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How many Accu go cutter dies needed

I buy them as I need them; the Accuquilt really got me to making more quilts than I normally would have. It's great.

Buying an Accu Go is like buying a Harley...I know, I own both. It is just the beginning....if you love your accu go you will become a collector of dies...I am surprised they don't just give the accu go away because buying dies becomes an obsession! Same with the Harley....the accessorizing is more expensive than the bike itself. My advice is to try to buy what you are going to use presently...and check out Ebay, there are some good buys on Ebay....don't ever pay full price...trust me, I have made that mistake. Have fun with it, it is a blast! Michelle

Very interesting thread indeed as I'm dreaming of getting an Accu go someday too. My question is: the large one vs the baby -- does anyone that bought the "baby" wish now they'd have bought the large one instead?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by doricu2
    how do you design custom dies
    As far as I know, the custom die service is available only for the Studio. I've had dozens of custom dies made.
    Accucut recently put up a new website for custom dies:
    http://www.customshapepros.com/

I have had my go-cutter for a while and find that I need extra cutting mats more than extra dies. It helps me a lot with cutting even though some cutting can be done with the rotary cutter almost as easily. Enjoy it.

I have the Go cutter. My friends buy dies when they have a project to do and I loan them the cutter. Great way to share and build inventory. At a retreat this winter, one of the gals is getting the Rose of Sharon and we are all going to create individual projects. Can't wait!

When I purchases my Accuquilt "GO" I got the Mix & Match 12 " starter set and I felt it had most of the shapes I needed. Since then, I have purchases the 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 strip cutter which I use almost every time I make something. I also, liked the feather and have used it to make several things. I haven't got any of the flowers and probably won't unless I am going to make a large quilt. I think a person has to decide what they want to make and purchases the dies then. Recently, I saw were JoAnn's had 25% off on the dies. Also, I always check at Amazon.com as I have found some good prices there. I don't feel it's a good buy if you only plan on making a table runner to purchases a set of dies.

Blog Entries
    not sure if you have the room or the extra cash...after buying the Go...I then bought the Studio...love it...why...10 inch blocks (two at a time) 12 inch blocks, Tumbers, strip cutters...and soooo many appliques. They are really made well and the studio is hand crank which I love...will last forever. It cost more..but will last and I only use my rotory to cut off the ends of my strips. This has been sooo awesome and worth every penny. I wish I had a few friends close by to borrow dies but that is ok...I would have given up on quilting with out this toy!

Blog Entries
    Oh and for dies...the tumbers, 6 1/2 inch sq die and strip cutters for the GO...those are the ones I use most....and the circle die and flowers

Blog Entries
    I use the 6 1//2 square for charity quilts and 2 1/2 strip for bindings a lot.

If you like to do rag quilts, the rag dies are really nice because it cuts the raggy part so no more having to take snips to make it raggy looking. But I've heard it really chews up the cutting mats so buy extra mats.

I think it may be better to buy the odd shaped dies, pieces that are a little harder to cut by hand.

Straight squares are easy enough to do by hand and most of us do strip piecing then cut strips into the size we want.

I do like the 6 1/2" square for my scraps.

The triangle die has the corners already trimmed off which is very nice.

Happy Birthday to you. I use my strip dies the most. I recommend those and buy the extra mats for them. Then buy more when they go on sale.

Blog Entries
    I am using our guilds Accuquilt to make a jeans rag quilt. Soooo much easier than hand cutting the fringes.

Blog Entries
    I couldn't live without my 2 1/2 inch strip die and the 1 1/2 inch die a friend gifted to me.

Oh my! I didn't know they had the blazing star and wedding ring ones! I got mine last Christmas and have not used it yet!

Blog Entries
    My favs are the HSTs, because you can cut them RST and imediately sew them with no further handling. I love the accuracy! Now I look for patterns with HSTs instead of avoiding them!

Buy dies as you need them, and don't pay full price! jhittlesewing.com is always cheaper than Accuquilt, and Amazon and ebay always have dies. You just have to be patient and alert!

Blog Entries
    When I cut jeans I only use one layer.
    Quote Originally Posted by gigi4419
    One question. Is it a good idea to cut denim with cutter or is the material too thick? Thank you!

The strip cutter dies are the ones I definitely use the most. I use them for strips, sashings, borders, and bindings. You can also use them to make squares, and different degree diamonds. Very versatile!
    I also love the appliqué ones. I have never liked appliqué because it seemed that no matter what technique I used, I never liked the results. Now, however, with the appliqué dies and the machine embroidery designs that you can get with them, I appliqué a lot and love the final look.

Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    When I get one, my first purchase is the 2 1/2 inch strip. Jelly rolls and bindings!!

Blog Entries
    I have the blazing star but I have not unwrapped it. Maybe in a few years LOL...before you buy the larger ones like bear claw make sure you do not already have those shapes.

I have a lot to learn! Thank you for all the information! I will be watching for UPS all week!

You can get really good prices on dies from e-bay and from here. http://www.ritzcamera.com/accuquilt-...nd-accessories

I have found that on the strip cutters, cutting two layers is best. It tends to go crooked when using more. However on the smaller dies 4 to 6 layers go through easily. I use the 2 1/2" square, 2 1/2" HS triangle, 4" square and 4 1/2 HS triangle and 1 1/2" HS triangle more than anything. I like sewing smaller pieces. I just recently went through my scraps and cut with the Accuquilt. I just did my batiks. Took me over a week. It was a job but well worth it. And if you cut and place it right on the dies, there's very little waste.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magpiefeather
    LOL...you will want them all once you get it...and remember you can always design custom dies! Have fun, you'll LOVE it! (I have the Studio)
    I have read so many agree/disagree comments about the AcuGo. One in particular is the waste. Please comment on that. Love this forum!!!!!

I love my Go too cause my fingers give me greaf good ole arther-itist lol. i have the 2 1/2 strips one , the tumbler block one, SBS and Sam, the 5x5 charm size, the fall set , holiady set tree holly,the triangle 55002, half square 3 inch finished 55019, will be getting the dog and cat later for baby stuff, and the other stripes ones . fast and easy i only get what i need to make what ever , hugs *((((()))))* weze

ON THE WASTE if you down load there pdf files on howto cut your fabric to save as i did a long time ago and the othere file you will save on fabric there is a lot of youtube lessons on use. and at there site. i do save what fabrics i can to use with my other dies like small sections for SBS and sam and the other ones like the holiday and fall dies . i just put them in zip lock bags with my supplies for my go . no waste here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast