Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many are basically lone quilters or have close friends they quilt with? >

How many are basically lone quilters or have close friends they quilt with?

How many are basically lone quilters or have close friends they quilt with?

Old 06-13-2009, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
I'm not really sure. I know several of the members of the guild personally, attend church with them, as well as involved with them in historic preservations groups here. But I didn't really want to make any waves by asking about it. I'd love to attend their meetings, they have show and tell, speakers, etc., but would hate if it caused any kind of issue with any of them there, which it might could since there are so many involved. Maybe someday it will change.
We have men attend our meetings. There arn't very many but we enjoy having them! Our guild has over 300 members, though we have never had everyone there at one time, we wouldn't fit!!!
Old 06-13-2009, 08:14 PM

Lone quilter too. Just moved and am hoping to join a guild. There is a local quilt shop that has some classes, maybe I will meet some local quilting friends!
Old 06-16-2009, 05:36 AM

I am very lucky. I belong to a quilt guild that is 250 members strong with monthly meetings with speakers. Then there are New Bee member meeting the first of the month and mystery bee the second of the month and then there are smaller groups like the Quilt Chicks that meet in each others houses.

:( Sorry for those who are alone. The others do inspire me to keep trying. But so do you folks! Di
Old 06-16-2009, 05:58 AM

I am also a lone quilter. My sister quilts sometimes, but lives in Pittsburgh. We chat onthe phone occassionally about quilting, but it'd be fun to have a group of friends come quilting. Like grown up play dates! :lol:
Old 06-16-2009, 06:05 AM

I'm a lone quilter on a floor frame. Haven't tried machine quilting yet - but hope to soon. There is a quilt guild about 20 miles from me and a new one starting about 15 miles away. I'm about 45 minutes away from Ninnie.

Hey Ninnie ~ did you know there is a new guild starting in Norwood?
Old 06-16-2009, 06:12 AM

I am also a lone quilter. I'm pretty much a home-body and stay to myself a lot, so quilting has become a good friend to me. Though, I have to admit, belonging to a guild sounds kind of fun.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:44 AM

My sister and I used to get together to quilt, but we have both had major health issues lately and so have not gotten together at all for a few months now. She had breast cancer, a mastectomy and breast reconstruction. I have lupus, fibromyalgia, and residual pain from severe auto accident injuries. When we do get together, it is so much fun! We have made many wedding and baby quilts together for our children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews and their children too. We also work on our own projects when we don't have a project like a wedding or baby quilt. One time, my sister picked out a pattern and fabric and we made twin quilts for our sewing rooms. She also has quilting friends and when she is feeling well enough, they all get together on Thursdays and sometimes on Saturdays to quilt. It is a wonderful "women's" time together. I feel very blessed to be included in this quilt group when I am able to go.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
I have a busy, noisy job. I am a school lunch manager and feed 2400 kids a day. That sewing room is my oasis. I love the hum of the machine and no chatter. So I am a lone quilter.
Wow. I used to be a teacher, and I always seemed to get stuck with Lunch Duty (as the band director, they seemed to think I had nothing else to do). I hated it.

I really admire you for doing your job. I know yours is pretty much a thankless job, and it is hard to do those.

I no longer teach, but run a music store. It is always loud in here, music is playing, or the repair technicians are banging away at a tuba bell, or a teacher is giving a lesson, or the kids are trying out instruments, or someone is asking me one of a bazillion questions.

I just love my quiet quilting time that starts around 8 pm, or all day on my days off. I stay up too late doing it, I know, and I probably don't get enough sleep.

But I just won't give it up!
Old 06-17-2009, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
Being a man, I'm pretty much a lone quilter as a result. I checked into our local quilt guild which has a pretty large following. They meet monthly and their website newsletter indicates that they have about 70 members attend each meeting. But I was looking at the bylaws on their website and it says that the guild is open to women only and that men are prohibited from attending any functions. That's the reason my initial post here on this forum was to ask if men are allowed, I didn't want to step on any toes in case they weren't. Happily, we are! :)
Eddie, I just read this post, and I think this is so hilarious and stupid of a policy. You know, women were excluded from "men's clubs" for years (the local Sheriff's Posse horse-riding club still excludes women) and now the women are doing the same thing to you. Such a shame.

Some of my best friends have been men. As a matter of fact, one of my very best friends is a guy.

They are shooting themselves in the foot if they would restrict you from being a member. Your quilting skills are wonderful, if they only knew what they were missing, they would regret this policy. I'm sure some of the members would have a lot to learn from you.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by NiceNCLady
I would enjoy that too. There is a quilt guild in Raleigh which is not far but I would like to find a small group, sort of a quilting bee kind of setting. I believe it would inspire me because I'm really in a dry spell right now. I've almost forgotten what my sewing machine looks like lol
Joan,
I'm in Raleigh and I'd love to get together with other quilters. You'd like the guild meetings, there's a bunch of people and lots going on. If you want to come, let me know and I"ll show you around. Our next meeting is tomorrow (June 18th) and I'll be there. I've only been a member since November, and don't know many people, but I look forward to going each month.