Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Many Do You Keep? >

How Many Do You Keep?

How Many Do You Keep?

Old 02-23-2018, 08:54 AM

I have given away a few baby quilts and one full size quilt. I keep everything else. Granted, my family is young and I make quilts now with the idea that they will belong to the children as they grow up; one baby quilt each for each, one kid friendly quilt for when they are young, a twin size for when they think they are adults but aren't, (lol!) and one queen size for once they leave home. Then the cycle will begin again!

I have never donated any quilts, and even the one I gave away I had a hard time doing it. It was all hand embroidered and very dear to me but my DH and I thought it was a very fitting 25th anniversary gift for his parents. I still see it when we visit, so that makes me happy.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:45 AM
bj

I have one that was a gift to my husband and two that were gifts to my grandson (he stays with us a lot, so I keep them here for him). All the rest have been gifted or donated.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:50 AM

I have 2 for each bed, the rest are gone, gifted or donated.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:06 AM

I have kept 3 quilts that were made from my boys' jeans. I have 2 for on the couches.. that is all that I have kept. I am planning on making one for my bed this year - - if I really get to it

I do have one that I made for my mother - when she passed away I got it back. I have it on a rack in my dining room
Old 02-23-2018, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by CathieD View Post
I've been making quilts for almost 20 years and I am just now making one for myself. I've put all requests on hold until I've rectified the fact that if a stranger walked into my house they wouldn't know that I make quilts. Sad.
sad? i humbly disagree. i have only kept two small wall hangings, well, one is more of a miniature. both experiments, but i like them and they turned out quite nicely. but all of my quilts have been made and given away. and, yes, i have had a friend who's husband had visited and told her about my quilting. she burst thru the front door (quite litterally!) exclaiming "..your quilts! i want to see your quilts!" she stood in the entryway, walked into living/dining room area where i sew & looked around. looked at me ..and again asked me where my quilts were. i said ...gone. either made for others or given upon request to those who saw & admired. i have, after over 30 yrs of quilting ..no quilts i've kept for us.
...and now she will have one too, as soon as i finish current quilt i'm making for she & her husband.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
sort of the opposite for me, I've kept most of my quilts until very recently except for all the baby quilts I made for friends many years ago. I don't pump out quilts though, they are all intricate with lots of little pieces and I use two for every quilt so they take a long time to do. In the last two years I've given away about 10 quilts, all masterpieces in my own mind. what becomes of them after I gift them matters not to me.

After her death I brought home the double sided quilt I made for my little sister, and I've been cutting it into pieces when burying a beloved pet, another one this morning, I can't really say why other than it brings her closer somehow and since we don't have children we value our pets very highly
i love your quilts because of their complexity. your colors are wonderful. i too only make complex designs w many many small to tiny pieces which my quilting acquaintences both "ooh" & tease me about. i think of something said by sally collins in an article i read several years ago ..i think she has it on her web page too ..something like "it's not the quantity, but the quality". my motto ..i don't count, i just enjoy, nay ..love, creating the most attractive and complex quilts i can for recipients that always love & treasure my creations.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:24 AM

roguequilter, that's the way it is at my house .... at the moment My hubby has laid claim to a quilt that is now in my floor frame. This will be the first quilt to stay and not given away.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:01 AM

So far about half
Old 02-23-2018, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sync View Post
roguequilter, that's the way it is at my house .... at the moment My hubby has laid claim to a quilt that is now in my floor frame. This will be the first quilt to stay and not given away.
hilarious! my guy said if our friend doesn't like the quilt i'm making for them he's going to bring it back home! i told him i would use the same assortment of scraps to make us a wallhanging. he seemed appeased by that idea
Old 02-23-2018, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

60 = 1/3rd? WOW! That's a lot of quilts.

I have kept 4 and one of them only because the fabric wouldn't start bleeding. It is now the "picnic quilt"