Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Many Do You Keep? >

How Many Do You Keep?

How Many Do You Keep?

Old 02-23-2018, 07:01 PM

I have kept about half of the ones I've made. I have a huge family, but few who care at all about my quilts. I recently made a queen sized quilt for each of my long divorces parents. Neither seemed to care much for them. That is fine with me, they simply won't get anymore. I will happily make quilts for anyone who asks, and helps me pick fabric, or at least colors. My sons best friend has received more quilts than anyone else, because he likes them more than anyone else. He is also the only one who will go fabric shopping with me. My sister wants a king sized, but not until her husband passes, she doesn't want his cats to destroy it. So I have everything waiting for her when the time comes.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:13 PM

not sure of numbers--both my kids and their family's all have cuddle quilts and bed quilts and some wallhangings and table toppers. plus i keep lap quilts on the easy chair and sofa in the living room. guess though I've given many to family (all extended family has received a quilt or table topper or Christmas tree skirt, etc)I've kept about 1/2 of what I make. I keep a quilt journal and part of each quilt entered is which child will inherit.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:50 PM

I've only been making quilts for the past two years - mostly lap size, two baby quilts and one bed quilt. A total of 21 quilts along with a number of runners, table toppers and a set of place mats. Of those, I've given away five quilts and a few of the runners.

for some reason, I have trouble parting with them......
Old 02-23-2018, 11:11 PM

Right now I really do need to finish some quilts for beds in my own house. I also really need a few decent tote bags for day to day. I give some things away as gifts and have done some charity work, but am not really sure of how much.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:11 AM

I consider quilts that I have given to family members as "kept". I have made quilts for family members for various occasions.
But, I give lots of them away through my guild or directly to charities that give to others. I just like to sew and quilt.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:23 AM

How many quilts does one person really need? So far I have only kept one quilt and that is the first one I ever made. I do have one that needs binding that I will keep. All the rest I give away. Right now I have 6 Quilts of Valor ready to gift to 6 veterans. 2 of them still need binding, so as soon as I get that done away they will go. I love giving and seeing the looks on faces. I feel blessed that I can do this.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:27 AM

I have one, that I finished about 4 years ago, even though I had had the blocks done since 2007. I do have 2 tops done(for at least 4 years), with the intention of them being for me, but as yet they're still tops. LOL
Old 02-24-2018, 05:28 AM

I have about 50 in my closets waiting for gifting to the right person. Last year I made 52 quilts in 51 weeks. Every year I give a dozen quilts to the Cancer Center at my local hospital, they raffle them off monthly to a chemo patient. I like having a stash of quilts, gave 3 to little girls who lost their home from a fire. I have given so many away to people who need a hug that I couldn't even count them. I have about a half dozen that are my favorites that I save for MY bed. I change them out every few weeks.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:41 AM

I have given away at least 17 and kept 4 or 5 and one in the making. That was a quick count, I may have missed a few.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:16 AM

We have 2 twin bed quilts in the guest room, one Christmas quilt in the linen closet, a large baby quilt for visiting grandchildren/guests, one wall hanging in the bathroom, a memory quilt of our AU/NZ vacation, and a veterans quilt I made my DH which also honors 3 generations of soldiers. The remaining quilts (twin to lap) were gifted to our mom's and were returned to us either upon their death or a move into a nursing home. All the rest have been gifted or donated to charity. I have one quilt I have been trying to finish for our living room wall that is half quilted and is next on the quilting schedule LOL I just cleaned and reorganized my sewing room and I have almost 70 projects in the waiting cue, so many more to be given away, but like others, like to keep busy and love to quilt.