Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Many Do You Keep? >

How Many Do You Keep?

How Many Do You Keep?

Old 02-25-2018, 04:18 AM

I keep most , But if family comes over and they would like one or two I do give them to them ...

But I hate to see them go...
Old 02-25-2018, 05:09 AM

Me too, kittiebug! I have been quilting for probably 30 some years. Made probably 300 - 400 quilts. Gave almost all of them away. Also do Quilts Of Valor. Right now, if you include the wall quilts I probably have about 60 quilts literally hanging around here and stashed in the closest. Can't seem to part with some of my babies! All of them are special in some way. They are hard to see go. But there is always some one needing a new snuggling buddy. How can I say no? So, out with the old, and I just make some more!!!!! Road trip to the fabric store. YIPEEEEE.....Keeps me sane, young, and (off the streets)!
Old 02-25-2018, 07:55 AM

There was a time when I seemed to be in a race to see how many quilts I could make. I have given many of those away. The quilts that I make now have a lot more thought behind them and they are not completed quickly. I am keeping them or giving them only to my closest family members. I have more than a hundred quilts that I try to switch out seasonally. I still make or give quilts to charities every year.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:05 AM

I kept the first one I made (lap size sampler) and a tummy time quilt for babies who visit. The rest have been, or will be, given away.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:36 PM

I've only recently started keeping some. We have 3 quilts that I made for us, plus a lot of smaller items like table runners, placemats, sewing machine covers, a quilted window cover in the laundry room and probably others I can't think of at the moment. We have 3 adult children and a couple of grands, and I've given them quilts, as well as given some to other relatives and friends for weddings, new babies, illness or whatever. I used to make or help make quite a few charity quilts when I belonged to a guild before our move, and still occasionally donate something to Project Linus.

For me the hobby is more about the doing than the having, and I get a kick out of seeing one of my quilts in use in someone's home. I've also started to keep lap-size quilts on hand for just-in-case situations that come up more often as we age. The first one like that was a simple jelly roll race quilt in blues and browns, and I happened to finish it shortly before one of my brothers was suddenly hospitalized with a serious illness. I grabbed that as I was rushing out the door to see him, and I was glad I did because that rather elongated shape happens to be a perfect size for a hospital bed and he seemed so delighted with it. Also, you wouldn't want to give a very special quilt to someone in a hospital or care facility, but if a jrr quilt was stolen, I would figure someone needed it more than we did, and I could make him a better one for home.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:59 PM

I only keep the ones that fit my bed and the guest bed. At this time I have 6 and a twin size I just finished that doesn't have a home yet. My sister in law works at the homeless shelter and when a family that comes in needs quilts I have sent some with her.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:33 PM

I have kept four - my very first quilt; first quilt done on the HQ sweet 16 (my learning curve!); final quilt for my City and Guilds Course but the one most precious to me is the quilt I made with shirts and clothing from my dearly missed late husband and some other friends who have now passed.

HettyB
Old 02-25-2018, 02:39 PM

Many of you make a lot more quilts than I do. So far other than wedding gifts for immediate family, the bed quilts and throws I have made are for personal use. I use the quilts I make on our beds because I like the warmth and feel of quilts. So far, I have hand quilted my quilts. That limits how many I can finish. It will be a while before I have enough excess quilts to gift. It is nice that so many of you are able to gift a lot of quilts.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:04 PM
DJ

Without counting, I'd guess that I make about 50% of my quilt projects (bed quilts, throw quilts, wall hangings, table toppers ... ) for myself and gift the others (if/when they get finished).
Old 02-25-2018, 06:58 PM

I have made hundreds. I make them for the Veterans at hospice program.Ronald McDonald House.Rainbows childrens hospitals and of course loads of friends. I own 2 LOL!!Each of my sons have 1, DIL 1, and both grandkids also have I love quilting but just how many do I need , So the best thing is enjoy the craft and sharing them