Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many hours to quilt a queen on a longarm frame? >

How many hours to quilt a queen on a longarm frame?

How many hours to quilt a queen on a longarm frame?

Old 04-09-2023, 08:13 PM

Default How many hours to quilt a queen on a longarm frame?

Those using longarm on a frame: How many hours does it take you to stitch-out a typical queen size quilt?

I'm looking at getting a used 10' frame for my Q20 and, since I'll also need to buy the Q20 Frame Conversion Kit, even a lowest-cost setup would be well over $2K. Now I'm thinking maybe a local studio that rents longarm time at $25-35/hr might be a more prudent option... but I don't know how long it takes to mount and stitch-out a queen size quilt.

Thanks for any input
Bob
Old 04-10-2023, 02:21 AM

There are so many variables ! If I am just meandering I can get a queen quilt done in a few hours, it takes me about 30-45 minutes to load my quilt backing (I pin) batting and baste down the top. Then from there meandering is quick. Using the robotics is another story, it depends on the design. I just finished a lap quilt 60 x 80 that had 6 rows and each row took about 25 minutes to stitch out, yes I makes notes of how long it takes a row to stitch out so I can time doing other things in between. Find a place that rents longarm time and go check it out, you will usually have to pay to take the class to learn the basics before they allow you to use it.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:58 AM

Depends on what you want to quilt it with. I do not have robotics. I do have stitch regulation; I do have a 26 inch neck and a 12 foot frame. I usually do a queen in 3-4 days with about 3-4 hours per day. I usually do what I call a meander plus. So, yep the basic is an all over meander but I throw in things like bubbles, leaves, ect. Ruler work will add time, custom with feathers and such will add a time. The amount of time it takes, should decrease as your skill level grows. There is a well known longarmer in my area who will quilt for well known designers and others and does absolutely beautiful work. She will have a show quilt on her machine for a week quilting it several hours a day. I simply don't have that type of skill. I am perfectly fine with the type of meander I do to hold my utility quilts together. You could go ahead and take the quilting class so you can use the shops machines. That will give you a chance to learn the basics and give you an idea if you really want to invest in the frame and the learning curve.
Old 04-10-2023, 09:30 AM

Depends. Maybe I’ll get phone calls or a shiny object might appear.

Queen size rarely if ever made it to my LA. If I recall correctly, took an hour to load, with help from hubby. Sometimes that doesn’t save time. Choosing panto design…. Picking thread. Oh yeah, assumption, back is all ready. Now my back wants a break. And hubby needs something.

couple hours later, I’m back. Stitch, advance quilt, oops, ran out of bobbin. Ok, ready again. 3 passes and body screams for break. Not as young as some of you. Tomorrow, I’m busy. Back at it 3 days later.

What was the question?

Robotics isn’t/never was in my budget. LA is no longer available, had to sell when we moved. As long as it was available, great. Would not buy another. I need to sit down.

More questions than cost to consider.
Old 04-10-2023, 11:47 AM

Tallchick, sewingpup, petthefabric - thank you for your thoughtful replies - and for the hilarious accounting of all those distractions! This meshes well with my expectations. It also leaves me with a good understanding of owning vs renting: my work time would more likely be one straight shot at a rented studio, and at my preferred pace that's gonna be a really exhausting (and expensive) day and a half.
With a 20-top backlog and at least 20 more in the pipeline, buying looks a bit more "cost-effective" than renting. With 10-30 hours saved per quilt over my table quilting time should "pay back" a thousand hours too, not to mention the smoother curves I've gotten from the little on-frame tryouts I've done.

Last edited by bobdavisnpf; 04-10-2023 at 11:52 AM. Reason: add detail
Old 04-10-2023, 02:31 PM

I think you will be happy with your investment, it really is fun and the ability to do it at your own pace is also a huge plus. I started off with just the basics and then decided to get the robotics after a few years. If you do the math on QBC vs doing your own, it obviously makes more sense for you to do your own with that many. Have fun!
Old 04-10-2023, 02:46 PM

When I was on the fence, the best thing I did was take a class. It was WAY more informative and helpful than the test drives at the shows.
The class was offered by my local Innova dealer. It was 5 hours long. There were 5 of us in the class and we did EVERYTHING. We learned how to thread and operate the bobbin winder. How to load backing, batting, and top on the frame using just about every technique out there, from pinning to zipping to red snappers to magnets. We learned how to operate the head, and the various options/models they had (robotics vs stitch-regulated vs non-regulated). We learned how to adjust tension, both thread and quilt. We learned how to troubleshoot all kinds of issues. How to change feet. How to change needles. Then we practiced, practiced, practiced. Our instructor gave us a lot of samples to see, and try our hand at replicating. She was very helpful! We got to try using various different rulers. We got to swap machines and see what it was like, moving an 18" head vs a 26" head.

The class was aimed at those who wanted to rent time on a longarm, but I took it because I wanted to play with the head more than the 10 minutes or so you get at a show. It was 100% worth the time and money - after I took the class, I felt very comfortable with my decision to buy.
Old 04-10-2023, 03:44 PM

If you do end up buying a machine of your own, I highly recommend keeping a little book/log as you work - what thread, if you adjusted tension, oiled, what worked, what didn't, what pattern you used (your own, a panto, or robotics, whatever). It can be helpful to look back if you have tension problems for example, and see what you did to solve it... I also joined a facebook group for my machine and whenever someone posted some information that I thought I might need some day, I printed it out and put it in a binder. After a bit I had so many pages I had to organize by topic. Both books have come in handy many times...
Old 04-10-2023, 05:58 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
When I was on the fence, the best thing I did was take a class. It was WAY more informative and helpful than the test drives at the shows.
The class was offered by my local Innova dealer. It was 5 hours long. There were 5 of us in the class and we did EVERYTHING. We learned how to thread and operate the bobbin winder. How to load backing, batting, and top on the frame using just about every technique out there, from pinning to zipping to red snappers to magnets. We learned how to operate the head, and the various options/models they had (robotics vs stitch-regulated vs non-regulated). We learned how to adjust tension, both thread and quilt. We learned how to troubleshoot all kinds of issues. How to change feet. How to change needles. Then we practiced, practiced, practiced. Our instructor gave us a lot of samples to see, and try our hand at replicating. She was very helpful! We got to try using various different rulers. We got to swap machines and see what it was like, moving an 18" head vs a 26" head.

The class was aimed at those who wanted to rent time on a longarm, but I took it because I wanted to play with the head more than the 10 minutes or so you get at a show. It was 100% worth the time and money - after I took the class, I felt very comfortable with my decision to buy.
Wow - I've done a intro class for a different brand, and almost none of that was covered. We learned to operate the longarm, but not how to adjust or test things, change feet, etc. It was just as long, but much of the time was the students quilting Project Linus quilts with no guidance from the instructor, followed by a sales pitch.

I do now have a longarm, and a different brand than above, and my dealer taught me all those things, but it is clear that not all intro/certification classes are equal.
Old 04-11-2023, 06:43 AM

The shop closest to me that rents machines usually does a lot of the adjustments to the machine themselves. So they will actually help you adjust the tension if needed. Actually, they usually include the thread in the rental time price so the tensions are pretty much adjusted from the get-go. You can take a class with whatever it is you want to work on. Like feathers, ruler work, customized. You do have to take a basic class to rent the machines. I really don't know what all it includes. When I got my machine, I got a class. It was done in two days as the instructor wanted to break it down. I learned how to load the quilt, how to adjust tension, the basics of stitch regulation vs manual mode and set up of pantograms (No robotics) Oh, and also basics of maintaining the machine like cleaning, changing needles, lubricating it.
The instructor came to my home so we could use my machine.