Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many hours a week do you sew? >

How many hours a week do you sew?

How many hours a week do you sew?

Old 03-21-2010, 07:11 PM

I sew just about every day after work for at least an hour, sometimes as much as 4 hours depending on what I'm working on. On the weekends I sew anywhere from none to all day Saturday and Sunday.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
Originally Posted by retired teacher
I am retired and have a wonderful sewing room where I can leave projects out. Some days I sew all day and some days don't go into the room at all. TRICK: get everything cut out. Then if you have 10 minutes sew for 10 minutes - if you have 4 hours sew for 4 hours.
Amen! When the kids moved out I got my own sewing room. The key is getting the fabric cut!! :thumbup: Then once I'm in there doing what I really love, making things with my sewing machine, I lose all sense of time. I have a kitchen timer set to let me know when to start dinner. The washer and dryer are right outside the "SEWING STUDIO", so I can wash, dry, fold, or hang up between sewing. I work, so Saturday and Sunday are the days that I vanish to the sewing machine. The Olympics are slowing me down.
I think you are right...get the fabric cut. Once I get everything cut then I get to do the fun part which for me is the piecing. It goes quickly and it's fun to see the project coming together :-D
Old 03-22-2010, 06:54 AM

I ususally sew 3 or 4 hours aday. Somemore than others. If not on machine then by hand applique. I always have several projects going.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:30 AM

I plan on sewing everyday, but it doesn't happen. I mostly get to on the weekends. I seem to always be busy with something and don't get enough sewing time in. Yesterday after church I had planned on sewing, but after all that when on this weekend I was so tired I fell asleep. I did get to sew some so that made me happy, just not as much as I wanted to.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:43 AM

It depends on how I feel and if I have a project I want to finish!!I'll usually sew for two or three days in a row and then spend a day doing the necessary drudge work...washing, cleaning, etc. Once the weather warms up I will be spending more time outside. Once it gets really hot, it's back to sewing!!

Ditter
Old 03-22-2010, 09:20 AM

I usually spend around 2 hours on Wednesday evening and then a another couple of hours on the weekends if I can manage to squeeze in the time. It is rought working full time and taking care of a home and family, quilting is just an extra perk I get to do when I have the down time.

If I could I would sew at least an hour every night, maybe I should pull my sewing machine into the living room and sew while my husband is studying for class.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:47 AM

Being leagally disabled because of a rare autoimmune disease I have had to really slow down. I am also a Domestic Goddess with only a husband at home. If I add up all the time I spend in a week on sewing or quilting it averages out to maybe 2.5 hours a day seven days a week. That includes days when I sew or quilt for 5 or 6 hours and those when I spend ten minutes. Being able to leave my sewing room set up intact enables me to steal 10, 20, or 30 minutes here and there between other things. It also gives me an excuse to sit down and still be productive when my health problems are slowing me down. I get a lot of handwork done at night watching TV. For example I started quilting a 36" x 36" wallquilt for my guilds Bingo this past sunday. I am at least a third of the way finished the handquilting. I expect to have it finished by the end of this week. I need to turn it in to the Bingo committee wednesday a week.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:14 PM

I try to sew everyday, even if it's just for a few min.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:28 PM

I'm recently retired so if my husband is out of town, I can sew almost the whole day long. Then I take a half day off from sewing to clean up around the house so that when he comes home, it looks like I was a busy little housewife.

And when I cook, it is ALWAYS something that covers dinner for 2 nights at least!
Old 03-27-2010, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kkbrand
I usually spend around 2 hours on Wednesday evening and then a another couple of hours on the weekends if I can manage to squeeze in the time. It is rought working full time and taking care of a home and family, quilting is just an extra perk I get to do when I have the down time.

If I could I would sew at least an hour every night, maybe I should pull my sewing machine into the living room and sew while my husband is studying for class.
We are empty nesters and about 7 months ago I moved my sewing machine into the living room, and then left table and used it for Christmas tree, then out came the machine again. I love having it in there, and since hubby wants the company, he doesn't say a word.
Plus, he is much more interested in my quilting, now that he sees the work involved. You should try it.
I did it as an experiment and going to keep it that way.:thumbup: