Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Many Machines Do You Have/Use? >

How Many Machines Do You Have/Use?

How Many Machines Do You Have/Use?

Old 07-04-2014, 10:58 AM

Default How many sewing machine do you have?

Originally Posted by Skylark53 View Post
I found a really old thread on this from 2011 so I thought it was time for an update! Family members, in particular my father, are having trouble believing that many people that aren't professional quilters have more than 1 or 2 machines. I insist (while on the verge of buying my third antique machine) that plenty of quilters/sewers have numerous machines! I understand that those that collect antique machines are likely to have more so I want to hear from those with more recent/new machines as well! Of the ones you have, how many do you use?

I have 2 right now (listed in signature). The FW I use a lot, the Kenmore more for finishing larger projects. But as I take on more things, I'll probably be bouncing between them more evenly because I'll have them calibrated for specific tasks.

For me, I'm finding that collecting machines is becoming a hobby within a hobby.
I have 19 and I have one or two at a yard sale and find this area does not know what to do with them. I have a redeye, numerous kenmores (158), featherweight, 401A, 501A, white, morse, and others. I would like to sell to buy a Tiara quilting machine.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:04 AM

I have 6. A 1948 Featherweight that I don't really use much except when I take it across country to visit my kids and grandkids, a Bernina Artista 180 that I use a lot (I'm trying to learn how to embroider with it right now; I usually use it for piecing and quilting.) I also have a wonderful Brother PQ 1500 that is a real workhorse. I use it for piecing and quilting with the walking foot. I recently bought a Baby Lock Tiara sit-down quilting machine that I'm learning to use and love. I have an old Singer treadle that I never use, I just like it. And a worthless Singer 160 Anniversary edition that I wish I hadn't wasted the money on. I would love to have one of the repainted Featherweights and a fancy new embroidery machine, but neither one is on the horizon at this point.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:04 AM

Viking Designer Ruby.- bought new 18 months ago
Viking Rose- had belonged to my late mother-in-law
Viking Lily- purchased used about 15 years ago
Serger- Christmas present from DH last year
Embellishing machine- still in box ( have had it for at least 6 years)
Antique Singer Treadle -was my grandmother's machine (at least 100 years old)
Old 07-04-2014, 02:32 PM

Whoops I'm up there lol let's see- berninas 630 (my most awesome!), 215, 1008; bernette 46 (little black one - got that free spent too much money lol!); Janome 12000, 4120 (gifted to my niece doc 3050- loved that machine but she really is amazing in the craft at 14!, sold 6600 (got a straight stitch), Viking mega quilter (straight stitch awesome), pfaff ambition 1.5
The 630 & 12000 also do embroidery. Gifted my kenmore ergos3 to my sister (truly gifted and her machine died)
Sergers- Janome 1100dx and babylock evolution
Coverhem- elna 444
Yup I don't think I left one out (hope not!)
Old 07-04-2014, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

I have six and use the same two all the time.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:57 PM

I have a Janome Quilter's Edition that I piece on, a Bernina Artista that I use to embroider labels and my Innova longarm that I quilt on. I don't have any room or need for any more - they all perform their tasks perfectly!!! Well, actually I would like a treadle and a hand crank...that's all!
Old 07-04-2014, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

I have 3 electric ( janome, Bernina virtuoso 154, featherweight) , 2 manual ( crank and treadle) and a Tiara that I need to learn to use proficiently. Eventually I hope to buy an embrodiery machine.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:22 PM

I have 4. Necchi that i bought in 1999, janome that i use every day, a 1953 featherweight that i just got recently, and a 1922 singer treadle that i use occasionally. They all work, and use all of them.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:05 PM

Funny this subject came up today, yesterday my dream machine was delivered a Janome 6600, started playing with it right away, also have a Janome Jem Silver Anniversary Edition, my Singer I bought 25yrs ago, Kenmore-S-3000, my Mothers Kenmore she taught me to sew on 32 years ago and one of the early Tin Lizzie 18's that I haven't set up yet. All are in working condition but will be set aside for a bit while I play with the new Janome 6600!
Old 07-04-2014, 05:19 PM

I have 6 right now. One is my first Brother that was the cheapest machine I could get at Wal-Mart when I first started quilting 4 years ago. It stays locked in a cabinet at work to use during our weekly after-work quilting group. It's a workhorse!! I have a Singer Sphinx treadle reproduction that I've only played with. I have a clone 15 that stays at my ex's house for me to use there when I stay over for holidays with my kids and grandkids. A Bernette 20 (a lemon from day one!) who's new home is now my shed. My most used ones are my FW 221 that I use for piecing, and my new Brother SC 9500 that I use for fancier stitching and for the quilting process. I hope to have a good vintage Singer in a cabinet and a hand crank someday!

Donna