Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many machines? >

How many machines?

How many machines?

Old 06-19-2011, 12:40 PM

Three right now - looking for a long arm quilting machine, it's one of those things I may be "Looking" for the rest of my life, the price is a bit over the top right now.... :cry:
Old 06-19-2011, 12:52 PM

As of today.....I have 360 sewing machines. My wife and I have 37 machines in our personal collection (33 in our home, the other 4 at our shop), 12 more in our shop, and 311 other machines in storage for parts or to fix up.

Yes, I’m probably not being fair to the other posters in this thread. We have a fabric center, and I fiddle with vintage sewing machines on the side, so I see a lot of sewing machines. My wife has always said that I can’t get into a project without getting into it full-bore. I guess she’s right. For the past 5 years, I’ve latched onto every vintage sewing machine that I could. I love yardsales, estate sales, and auctions!

Yesterday, I acquired my 460th sewing machine (I give them all an ID number so that I can keep records of them in a database). This one is a copy of the first sewing machine that my wife ever had. She bought a Montgomery Ward Model 266 zigzag machine out of the Wards Catalog in 1975 with some of our wedding gift money (probably most of it), used it until we could afford a new one in the early 90s (JC Penney Model 7057), and we sold it in a yardsale shortly after getting the new one. It’s the only one of her machines that we ever let get away from us. I’ve been on a search, and I finally found a copy of it for our “herd”, now that we’re collecting machines. Golly, she did a lot of sewing with that old “Monkey Ward” machine! And it was a 3/4-size machine to boot!

When our son delivered it to me from Denton Texas for Father’s Day, and my wife said “that’s it, “that’s the one!”. I think it brought back some fond memories for her. We’re both looking forward to getting it serviced up and into operation.

Edit: BTW - It weighs a whopping 26 pounds!

CD in Oklahoma

Montgomery Ward Model UHT J266B
[ATTACH=CONFIG]213956[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-213950.jpe  
Old 06-19-2011, 02:10 PM

Wow that is a lot of machines! Enjoy all of them.

The heaviest machine I have my nephew brought it too me. I helped hubby put it on top of a cabinet machine. It says Brother Zig Zag on it. Why do they have zig zag on it as part of the name. Is anyone familiar with a machine like this. IT is so so heavy. It would be one you would have to leave in place somewhere.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:16 PM

I have 5, 2 new Bernina Embroidery machines, 1 new Baby Lock Sashiko, and 2 Featherweights. I use them all on a regular basis, it is so nice to be retired with nothing to do but sew!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:19 AM

I have 3 right NOW ... a Janome, a Viking and a Pfaff. Use 2 a lot and 1 occasionally ... and I'm still looking for that elusive FW :)
Old 06-20-2011, 10:47 AM

I now have 5 machines, but do not use all of them.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:12 AM

I just finished reading all the posts for this subject. Sooooo many machines!!!

I have 3; a Viking serger, a little travel Kenmore, and my main machine is a 1965 Kenmore in a cabinet that my Mother-in-Law gave me for a wedding gift in 1965. I love that machine. I can clean and repair it myself. I just recently started doing my FM quilting with it. Would love a new Janome, but quite expensive.

My DH walked by my sewing room one day and asked why I needed 3 machines, as I could only use one at a time...............Well, I asked him to follow me and I opened the garage door and asked why he needed a truck, a car and sandbuggy...........he could only drive one at a time! He keeps his eyes averted now when he walks by and not a word when I said I was looking at an embroidery machine. MEN!!!

Fun post!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by BATIKQLTR
I just finished reading all the posts for this subject. Sooooo many machines!!!

I have 3; a Viking serger, a little travel Kenmore, and my main machine is a 1965 Kenmore in a cabinet that my Mother-in-Law gave me for a wedding gift in 1965. I love that machine. I can clean and repair it myself. I just recently started doing my FM quilting with it. Would love a new Janome, but quite expensive.

My DH walked by my sewing room one day and asked why I needed 3 machines, as I could only use one at a time...............Well, I asked him to follow me and I opened the garage door and asked why he needed a truck, a car and sandbuggy...........he could only drive one at a time! He keeps his eyes averted now when he walks by and not a word when I said I was looking at an embroidery machine. MEN!!!

Fun post!
I love it! Men need to have things put into terms they can understand!!! My DH asked me why I didn't trade in my Pfaff 7550 when I bought my Pfaff 2144. I told him it was "high miles" and the dealer wouldn't give me anything for it. You know, I use both machines!!!
Old 06-20-2011, 08:55 PM

For those of you with vintaqe machines (mostly metal parts) have you seen this thread?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-1.htm

:-D
Old 06-21-2011, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
For those of you with vintaqe machines (mostly metal parts) have you seen this thread?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-1.htm

:-D
Just Remember - this is designed to be a PHOTOS ONLY database page. Please leave your comments and questions on the Vintage Sewing Machine Shoppe. Thanks