Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many people have taught kids to quilt? >

How many people have taught kids to quilt?

How many people have taught kids to quilt?

Old 03-25-2010, 01:03 PM

My DGD is only 9 months old so I have to wait a while to teach her. I have taught children to sew. They have to be tall enough for their feet to reach the floor, or rest on a small stool. I think my youngest was 8.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:33 PM

I have taught children in 4H, and girl scouts, and in a homeschool program. It has always been a blast!
The homeschool experience was part of a pioneer unit, and the children had to learn hand sewing, rather than machine. They loved making something they could take home and hang on their walls. Anyway, I lost count of the number of children.
It has included my girls, so maybe someday I will get to teach their children, too. (If the girls don't beat me to it! :lol: )
Old 03-25-2010, 02:46 PM

my oldest dd had no interest in anything to do with sewing in any form, but my youngest dd 16 1/2 has been sewing for a few years with me, and my ddil is quilting with me too...

it really is a good time when we are all in the studio together...
Old 03-25-2010, 03:01 PM

First I taught 3 10yr old grands. Two girls, one boy. Then a 7yr old grandson with a full cast on his right arm. From there to his second grade class to make a Linus Project quilt. Now teaching needle turn applique' to a 25 yr old granddaughter. Started them all with 4 patches. Luv it !
Old 03-25-2010, 03:49 PM

I was able to home school my youngest son, he is now 24 but he tried to start a kids quilt block exchange when he was about 8 but we could not get anyone to really do this. He did make about 12 blocks that he sent to kids that were suppose to sent blocks back to him but they never did so he lost interest.

Good news is, he can sew.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:52 PM

i sure try to teach my boys i have tree i am just learning to so its a fun way to spend time with them in my avatar is my 14yr old he loves to sew makes lots of pillows....but i was told i could not put this pic on facebook so i used it here so he don't see lol
Old 03-25-2010, 05:12 PM

Does my 34 yr.old count since she is my kid? No other kids around here to teach. We are out in the country and the kids are too busy with sports and such anyway.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Zoe

Originally Posted by JanetM
Originally Posted by cjc
We don't have any children of our own, so we are doubly blessed that we have those in our lives.
Years ago we had elderly (HA, they were in their 50's LOL)neighbors. They were both career people, no children. I was 11 at the time and I dearly loved this couple as if they were my grandparents. Anyway, I would go visit them every evening when they got home from work (they assured me I wasn't a pest) to talk with them. They liked having a martini before dinner, so in quick order I learned how to make the perfect martini :!: When they were ready to make dinner I would go home just to come back when it was time to do dishes. I helped them every night, and yet my mother could never get me to help at home. It just seemed like more fun at their house.
Anyway, I guess I was their "adopted daughter".

I think teaching your neighbor how to sew is a much more practical idea :-D :-D :-D
Janet, Your message really resonates with me too. We were babysitting this young lad who was five years old while his grandmother took some courses. His bus dropped him off at our house that he recognized because we have a full-size teepee in the front. We always told the neighborhood children that we were a "safe house" and that we were the retired old folks living there. One day this young fellow asked me if I would sew his jacket that his mother (who was stationed in Korea) had sent him. He also told me that his grandmother did not sew, and that he always saw me quilting. I checked with his grandmother (I didn't want to step on her toes) who was delighted that I would do this.

He brought over his jacket and I mended it for him after which he asked what was I planning to cook that night. You get so much from these youngsters who are so bright and notice everything. When his grandmother asked him about us, his reply was priceless! He said that we were okay but that we didn't have any games on our computer!

:lol: You can be sure we did not, because that five-year-old knew how to double-click the mouse and get into our business applications.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Google Goddess

I am planning on teaching my 9 year old niece. We don't have any children. I think she would enjoy it.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:13 AM

I've taught my DGD to quilt. She has autism and lives with me. Quilting has been a Godsend for her, and so many of her austic traits have been an asset to her learning and actual construction. We began with hand piecing when she was 10. The first time she sat down to the machine to sew two pieces of a quilt, she was hooked!!!!!!!! She is 16 now and "designs" her own blocks. I am anxious for summer so we can work on PP and more complicated designs. The quilting has also helped with her math skills (which are very very difficult for her).