Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many people have taught kids to quilt? >

How many people have taught kids to quilt?

How many people have taught kids to quilt?

Old 03-27-2010, 09:51 AM

I babysit a friends 7 year old daughter and she can't wait to come here so she can sew and work on the quilt she has started. She sews on one of my featherweights.
Judy in Ohio
Old 03-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Banned

I am just learning to quilt my self. but I do have a three year old granddaughter I hope to teach some day. Penny
Old 03-29-2010, 10:44 AM

I've taught my DGD to quilt. She has autism and lives with me. Quilting has been a Godsend for her, and so many of her austic traits have been an asset to her learning and actual construction. We began with hand piecing when she was 10. The first time she sat down to the machine to sew two pieces of a quilt, she was hooked!!!!!!!! She is 16 now and "designs" her own blocks. I am anxious for summer so we can work on PP and more complicated designs. The quilting has also helped with her math skills (which are very very difficult for her).
This is AWESOME ... such a blessing ... I wish I had some of you all living near me ... I am going to have to find folks who like to quilt.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:25 PM

I can't wait to teach my GD. She is only 3 1/2.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:46 PM

I have done lots of quilting with first graders. I start with tying a quilt. They each choose two 12.5" squares. Using a cardboard template they mark 5 places to tie. I teach them to tie a square knot by making a 4 and a p and then pulling it tight. Over the course of 9 months I get them to make seasonal squares, eventually sewing with yarn and finally using needles and thread. At the same time, we tied and sewed/quilted lap size quilts for the elderly people the children knew. The Navajo kids were very skilled and enjoyed the measuring, cutting and sewing more than any other children I ever worked with. The elders at the Chapter House loved the quilts and showed them off as often as possible.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:24 AM

What a wonderful experience for the children and you. Isn't it great to see how different cultures have different interest?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:02 AM

I started with my girl scout troop (Cadettes and Seniors.) We hand stitched a double quilt for an Iraqi War widow and I did a smaller one on the machine for his son. The girls really got into the project because of the personal aspect of it and the quilt was beautiful! My daughter has continued to quilt and has made several on her own.

I think maybe making a project for something special will really hold their attention and they will learn the quilting along the way. Ideas - baby quilts for local hospitals, lap quilts for local nursing homes, "ugly" quilts for shelters, etc... or maybe a Mother's Day gift or special birthday? Good luck! If you show her the creativity and love that goes into a quilt, I am sure she will someday carry on the tradition.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:29 PM

MANY years ago I was a Girl Scout leader. My co-leader and I applied to Headquarters for a Special Quilting Badge, and I taught the girls how to piece and quilt. They each made a pillow for Mother's Day. Some of them loved it; some didn't. But they ALL earned the badge. I had forgotten about it until you asked the question. That was about 1977! I wonder if the lessons 'took'? My daughter can sew, but she doesn't quilt.

One of my GSers has worked for ESPN since she graduated from college. Her Mom is active in a CT Q guild, but I don't think she has the time. She was the one I always made sit at my feet - I caught her trying to crawl out the window once during a meeting! Had to like that girl! She would make a GREAT quilter - no respect for rules!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:26 AM

I have also taught as young as 5, but prefer them to be 6-8 their attention span is a little longer. I have 4 granddaughters and I have taught 3 of them to quilt (little one is 5) granddaughter #3 is 10 and making her second quilt.