Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Pincushions does it take...

I have 2. One by the machine.

Oh my,... I use one my mother had from the early 70's some one must've made it at school, or she bought it at a charity thing... I don't know, but it's made using 2 canning jar lids and purple cordaroy, stuffed with saw dust ( I think), taped together with masking tape that's covered with ribbon.... It works great, holds alot of pins

I don't use any at all, don't even have one in the house! I not only have three kids that would have hayday with a pin cushion but I also have two cats that would just love to get their mouths around a pin I am sure, exp. if I stuck one in there with thread in it! So I keep my pins in the container that they came in that I can put the lid back on. Its little and portable so I grab and go anywhere in the house I need to be!

Super Member Pineapple Princess's Avatar
    I only have on pincushion,but I normally have pins stuck around everywhere! The hem of my shirt, the ironing board, the chair cushion...

Blog Entries
    I have a small cookies tin kinda thing for the safety pins, and an oval candy tin kinda thing for the straight ones...both sitting beside the machine; I also have a travel size ironing board (you know, those little ones) beside the machine, as I am a "press as you go" kind of sewer.

Blog Entries
    I have 3 for pins, and 3--and I need more--tomato pin cushions that I use the sections for machine needles. I label each section for the size & type of needle.

Stitchy Woman 5 sounds about right to me. That's what I have in pretty much the same places. Except one is for machine needles.

I have three magnetic, also a wooden one that is a sissors, thread and pin cushion I use for hand work, one that hangs over an arm chair style in my embroidery basket that also hold sissors and thimble ect., a old ball with japanese dolls all around in the sewing desk that holds my sewing barely used needles and tons that are collectables sitting around my sewing room I don't use. Don't ask about thimbles... LOL!

I just use the box the pins came in. Can't get into the pin cushion "thing". My mom used one, but I've never gotten the hand of it.

Blog Entries
    I have one by each machine that I use often...so 5 there...one on the ironing board...one by my chair...and one in my handwork bag that I take with me....

Then there's my small collection of them...I love pincushions and thimbles!! :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    Just one!!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that just has "1" pincushion...LOL I think that's what I need to go buy this weekend is a lot of pincushions so I can have them everywhere and not feel left out.....LMBO

I have them at all the usual places and also have one by my computer, along with scissors because sometimes I hand piece while watching quilting videos.

tmg
    I don't use many pins but I have 2 pin cushions. I have to look for one when i need one.

my pins are kept in little tins and I usually have two in use all the time.....

Hahaa... since I sew in a dinky area - more like a rat maze... one of these days I will get brave enough to show it off... once I really get to cleaning it that is!

I think I only use one... sometimes two. I only use magnetic ones also since they are so handy - especially when you drop a pin - not that that ever happens to me lol

I have 3 in the lounge room for hand piecing, 2 in the dining area, 2 in the sewing room, 1 or 2 in my bag and 1 at my son's house. That makes it about 9? Oh, forgot about the containers, for just in case I can't find a pincushion. :oops:

I have just counted 23 pincushions and am sure there are a few more. I do collect them. Oh, I just noticed 2 more. I do use alot of them. I sew in various rooms of the house and take along sewing bags where ever I go.

I know I am not the only one here to go out to the store etc and to notice later you have pins, needles and threads stuck to your clothing. I have gone out with my thimble on my finger and not even realizing I have it on.

You're not the only one, that for sure, drove home once with a needle stuck in my stomach, only realized when I pulled the thread.

I taped a rectangular manicure sponge to my machine. I saw a very nice pattern for a pincushion on a Martha Stewart site. This was a quick copy. It is very useful. Now I need to put a magnet on a long stick for the pins that still hit the floor!

i only have one and a jar full of safety pins and a tin full of pins.
    i hear tell the little strawberry thing hanging from the tomato looking pin cushion has stuff in it to resharpen needles and pins.
    does anyone know if that's true. and how do you keep you pins and needles sharp?

One by my chair in the living room, one on the ironing board, one on the cutting table, one with thread bag attached by each of my three machines, and one with thread bag attached in my "travel bag" for classes and sew ins.

Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    I taped a rectangular manicure sponge to my machine. I saw a very nice pattern for a pincushion on a Martha Stewart site. This was a quick copy. It is very useful. Now I need to put a magnet on a long stick for the pins that still hit the floor!
    What is a manicure sponge? I haven't had many and dont remember them. Is it good for your pins? Does it sharpen them?

I have 7 pinchusions and should have at least 2 more. I have three different types of pins. I like to keep two pinchusions for each type of pin so one can be near my machine and one at my cutting-ironing area. The odd ball is in my sew kit I take everywhere. 2 of the pincushions I made are made from wool-felt. It keeps the pins sharp.

Yes the little strawberry has emery in it and it does sharpen your pins and needles. I had a couple of tomato pincushions that were worn out and I cut of the strawberry and discared the rest. I keep them in my sewing bags when I find my needles need to be sharped or just sometimes cleaned up a bit.

Blog Entries
    About 30. I like collecting them {just to look at}too. Most have pins in them, I like to collect different pins also. When I find the cable to download pictures from the camera I will post them. There are two that get used most.

I have at least two - one at my machine and one next to my chair

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast