Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Pincushions does it take...

Blog Entries
    I have 35 different pin cushions. The one that I have at my sewing machine is on a glass peticle and woven with wool in four differnet colours. The wool part is a circle. It is very old and came from my husbands family who came to Canada in 1841.

I have about 7 but my favorite is a magnetic bowl or tray that I bought at an auto parts store. It is about 7 inches in diameter and magnetic. Mechanincs use it to hold nuts and bolts when they are working on cars. I love it!! Only about $6.00. This one sits on my cutting table. The rest are scattered all over the room, some bought, some made, some magnetic, some soft. They are everywhere here.

Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    I taped a rectangular manicure sponge to my machine. I saw a very nice pattern for a pincushion on a Martha Stewart site. This was a quick copy. It is very useful. Now I need to put a magnet on a long stick for the pins that still hit the floor!
    This works great, the magnet on a long stick. Go to an auto parts store, they have magnet sticks for picking up screws/bolts that fall in hard to reach places. Hubby got me one and it works great, I keep it in the sewing basket.

Pincushions, I keep one in the living room by my chair, there is one just for the sewing machine needles for the different size needles and 3 other pincushions. there are also 3 tins of pins and one of the tins is for blocking crochet snowflakes I make.

Blog Entries
    I have lots of pin cushion, I also make them to sell. I put sheeps wool in mine to keep your pins sharp.

Cookie

If any of u ladies use a computer "sewing maching" leave the magnet pin cusions alone, they can damage ur memory of the machine.........So i was told by a dealer, i have one such machine which sits on a shelf in prefrences I use my old stand by Janome....( no electronics) This weekend started with me taking it apart to do some hunting. Yep i found what I was looking for, then more....straight pin managled in the bobbin- one of my nice silk pins 2 .
    I use one and move it from place to place. Silk pins on one side. the others on the other sides. I do use a mangetic one for saftey pins works great no need to hunt for them anymore.

i have big ones, little ones, magnetic ones, wrist ones, and a cupboard of old ones. I can still never find a pin fast when i want one

Power Poster
    Four, Two magnetic just in case. Don't want anyone stepping on a lose pin on the floor. :-P

I collect pin cushions. There are 30 of them on my windowsill. I use about 7 with one for needles only, 2 by my sewing machine, 1 by the iron, 1 by the cutting mat, 1 with very thin flexible pins for hand basting, 1 with regular sewing pins for pinning patterns onto fabric. I like my pins and needles seperated so I don't poke my finger when using pins, and the needles pincushion has a bottom made of a tuna can lid so the needles don't poke in too far and get lost.

I HAVE 3 AROUND THE ROOM.I KEEP KNOCKING THE ONE BY THE MACHINE OFF SO I AM GOING TO MAKE A FLAT ONE,THAT FITS UNDER THE MACHINE ,SO THAT CANT HAPPEN ANY MORE.
    ARETTA

OMG!!! I have 7, and I haven't quilted much yet! I have one for old fancy pins, 1 for long bead pins, 1 for pearl pins used to make snowflakes, 1 for sewing machine needles, 1 for regular pins by the machine, 1 by the cutting board, and lastly one tiny one for hand sewing needles. And, I'm thnking of making a new one for big eyed craft needles! LOL

DJ
    I love the one I hang around my neck. When I have it on, I only need one! When I don't have it on, I end up nearly poking pins in my chest! ROLF

One. I must be lacking - my space is compact; just within a step or two from sewing machine to ironing board.

I have
    (2) that hold extra long quilt pins
    (1) for machine needles
    (1) hand quilting needles
    (1) embroidery short pins
    (1) very large, covered styrofoam block for storing extra pins
    +______
    6 pin cushions

About the same. I also have two ruler holders, one on the table by my machine, and one on my long cutting table. I have pens and pencils in several places also. Saves a lot of steps.

I have several pincushions. 3 magnetic, one by the machine, one by the serger and one in the box of notions/tools that stays with the travel machine, usually in the car.
    Then there are several soft/stuffed pincushions around. Some in various containers of hand work, some waiting for others to wear out and so on.
    But I also have several needle books for hand sewing needles. One of those in each hand work project case. I hate putting needles, hand sewing ones, in *pin*cushions. Have found way too many when the pincushions finally give up the ghost.
    I do need to make a new over the arm of the couch/chair pin cushion/thread catcher. Except the one that is in tatters got pre-empted from a thread/scrap catcher to a remote control/TV
    guide holder. sigh
    BTW, the magnetic pin cushions and electronic machines...... it depends on the machine and where/how close you have the pin cushion. I use a magnetic pin cushion next to my electronic machine and have for years. But it is about 6" away, and the electronics on my machine are shielded. I checked with the dealer before using the magnetic pin cushion.

Stuffing for pin cushions can be lots of different thing. Leftover scraps of batting can be torn into stuffing bits. Wool is wonderful.
    Sawdust is what is in a lot of commercially made ones. You can also buy ground walnut hulls from some quilt shops or in larger quantity from pet shops. It is sold as lizard/reptile litter.

Have fun,
    Pati, in Phx

I don't own any pincushions, I have the pin magnets. I'm forever dropping pins and the magnets make picking them up lots easier. Between my DD and I we have 4 or 5.
    Sharon W.

I have just one here

I have two one on the sewing table and one on the ironing board.

Blog Entries
    i just startedmaking pincushions, i'd love to be in a swap if anyone would like to swap w/me or start one
    they're justso fun to make

Blog Entries
    Let's see-- hanging one by the machine, one for super thin pins, one for those yellow head ones (they bite!), one of those magnet pin catcher things -- I guess that's 4e, that I use on a regular basis anyway.

Blog Entries
    Don't forget the one you take with you :-D

I have not read all the reply, but just a reminder to not put the magnetic pin dishes near the computerized sewing machines.

Quote Originally Posted by LastGrandma
    As I was quilting this last week, I wondered how many pincushions you use when quilting. In the last month or so I have been lucky enough to have been given two new pincushions...I have already given one away, so I have about 4 in use currently. They are strategically placed (and rotated as needed for pins):
    1) by the sewing machine in use
    2) on the ironing board
    3) on the cutting table
    4) on the side of the piecing site (currently on the bed in the guest room - on the bedside table)

This arrangement cuts down on the losing of pins and the needless trips to retrieve the pincushion and move it to the current working location.

How many pincushions do you use when quilting?

Blog Entries
    As I was reading this thread I was counting my pin cushions. I have 11, non collectables, that I use in various places. Some are the cushions and some are the magnetic dishes. It seem like where ever I am there is not pin cushion so I try to keep them every where.

I have 3 pin cushions but they are never where I need them.

wow look at all the replys.....
    too funny, never thought about it but I have a lot too....
    ConnieF

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast