Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Pincushions does it take...

There is never enough pincushions for me!

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    I don't own any pincushions, I have the pin magnets. I'm forever dropping pins and the magnets make picking them up lots easier. Between my DD and I we have 4 or 5.
    Sharon W.
    To add to this: I have a pin magnet in the drawers of both treadle cabinets,one by the Horn cabinet that will be housing one of my more modern electrics,one in the traveling tool box for quilting bee, one that holds the longer
    fine silk pins and then DD has hers. I think that makes 6.
    Sharon

Blog Entries
    love the avitar

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
    Three

Two that I rotate similar to you. Magnetic of course!

One for applique.
    love your avitar

Quote Originally Posted by martyr
    OMG!!! I have 7, and I haven't quilted much yet! I have one for old fancy pins, 1 for long bead pins, 1 for pearl pins used to make snowflakes, 1 for sewing machine needles, 1 for regular pins by the machine, 1 by the cutting board, and lastly one tiny one for hand sewing needles. And, I'm thnking of making a new one for big eyed craft needles! LOL
    What do you like to use to fill your pincushions?

3 to 4

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn
    Quote Originally Posted by martyr
    OMG!!! I have 7, and I haven't quilted much yet! I have one for old fancy pins, 1 for long bead pins, 1 for pearl pins used to make snowflakes, 1 for sewing machine needles, 1 for regular pins by the machine, 1 by the cutting board, and lastly one tiny one for hand sewing needles. And, I'm thnking of making a new one for big eyed craft needles! LOL
    What do you like to use to fill your pincushions?
    Rice or lentils, gives them a nice weight

I've used rice for a while. I've been thinking the gravel you use for caged birds would work. I have a very old one made of sand and anice seed. It smells like licorice when you use it. My mother swears wild bird seed is good.

One thing I am experimenting with is using sand paper as part of the construction.

I can use only one which I found a pain in ........ because my cat grabs them with her teeth and runs away. therefore I have to carry my pincushion every step I make, from my sewing machine to my ironing board and to my cutting table. when I'm through with sewing I have to hide it in my sewing machine cabinet, I have to cover my metal sewing accessories/tool and pick up everything from my cutting table. But she's so adorable that I give in to her bad habits. Cats really rule your life and cat lovers just love it

I LOVE pincushions! But my pins are in one empty loose face powder container. (I save them and use them for many things.)

Quote Originally Posted by jamh
    I have them every where! Never have enough pins! lol
    You guys are so funny. I can't believe how many pin cushions you use. I can sure understand it though. A cpl. of yrs. ago I made pincushions with pcs. of English paper pcs. on top. I'm trying to send pix but am not having much success.

The lg one is 8" square. I call this one my "cow pie". The smaller ones which I haven't used are 5" & 4". If remember, they are filled with rice. I put my flower head pins on one side & fine glassheads on the other. That way I have both handy. Frankly, I still prefer the magnetic ones. You see I have one glued to the top of the cow pie for needles.

I'm so sorry. I didn't know this sent twice.
    The last pix is my Quilt for Kids quilt I finished this morn. Just wanted to share it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jamh
    I have them every where! Never have enough pins! lol
    You guys are so funny. I can't believe how many pin cushions you use. I can sure understand it though. A cpl. of yrs. ago I made pincushions with pcs. of English paper pcs. on top. I'm trying to send pix but am not having much success.

The lg one is 8" square. I call this one my "cow pie". The smaller ones which I haven't used are 5" & 4". If remember, they are filled with rice. I put my flower head pins on one side & fine glassheads on the other. That way I have both handy. Frankly, I still prefer the magnetic ones. You see I have one glued to the top of the cow pie for needles.

The third pix is the Quilt for Kids that I finished this morn. So cute.
    I couldn't see where to delete the spare pix. Sorry
    Attached Images Attached Images

So funny! I was sewing today and suddenly I realized that I had four pin cusshions - two by the sewing machine - and two at the cutting area. Don't know why I need so many LOL What I really need more of are measuring tapes!!!

Pat G,
    I think your pin cushions are adorable! So is the baby quilt. I just finished a baby quilt last night, it will go to "The Linus Connection". Its a local organization in central Texas and all the quilts stay here.
    Sharon W.

Quote Originally Posted by threads57
    Yes the little strawberry has emery in it and it does sharpen your pins and needles. I had a couple of tomato pincushions that were worn out and I cut of the strawberry and discared the rest. I keep them in my sewing bags when I find my needles need to be sharped or just sometimes cleaned up a bit.
    that's what I do with the tiny berries too ! they work so nice in a
    take-along project. I have pin cushions in each had-sewing project that I am doing,with my travel machine,several around my sewing
    room. our Woolies group exchanges pin cushions each Christmas,
    so I have some really neat ones. recently tried wool balls to put in
    pretty, small dishes or swans. a mess, but fun. smitty

Blog Entries
    Now I know for sure this is a question I can answer as I just went and counted them. I have 4 decorative ones (rocking chair that the cushion lifts up to hold thimble, needle threader, bobbin of thread), 1 is a teacup on a saucer, 1 is a teapot & the 4th is a basket with a lid that stores thimble, needle threader, etc. Then I have 3 wool balls that have been tied into a permanent shape for pins, 2 of the old timey tomato looking ones with the little berry hanging off, 4 magnetic ones (2 long & 2 round), plus I just bought two more patterns that can pass for broaches to make (Berry Bunch Brouch & Kafflower). I just love pin cushions and they are ALL IN USE! That's 15 when I get the latest 2 finished. One can never have A) Too much fabric, B) Too many machines or C) Too many pincusions. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! Oh, make that 17; there is one on each of the mats/scrap bags by 2 of my machines!

wow from reading the post i am amazed at how many of you have more than one pincushion, i use my magnetic one and have a little box my grandaughter made me the holds the extra one and i thought that was plenty , see there i go again learning something new!!

Well, I only have one - magnetic - but I certainly will go get another as soon as I can. Your idea :idea: is great.
    I'm forever having to stop what I'm doing and go get my pins.

to josi49 -
    I agree - I keep telling myself all I need is one pincushion.
    So, now My mind has been changed and I will go out and get me another. I'm thinking one of the wrist ones would be good, too.

[quote=josi49]Now I know for sure this is a question I can answer as I just went and counted them. I have 4 decorative ones (rocking chair that the cushion lifts up to hold thimble, needle threader, bobbin of thread), 1 is a teacup on a saucer, 1 is a teapot & the 4th is a basket with a lid that stores thimble, needle threader, etc. Then I have 3 wool balls that have been tied into a permanent shape for pins, 2 of the old timey tomato looking ones with the little berry hanging off, 4 magnetic ones (2 long & 2 round), plus I just bought two more patterns that can pass for broaches to make (Berry Bunch Brouch & Kafflower). I just love pin cushions and they are ALL IN USE! That's 15 when I get the latest 2 finished. One can never have A) Too much fabric, B) Too many machines or C) Too many pincushions. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! Oh, make that 17; there is one on each of the mats/scrap bags by 2 of my machines!

That little dog on your bed is simply adorable. Also can never have enough measuring tapes, my cat makes mine disappear

I collect them, so I'm afraid to count. Let's just say, "lots".

Blog Entries
    One on the work table, one by the sewing machine, one by the design wall, one by the quilting frame. Plus, DH has one by his sewing machine. 5!!! ;) :thumbup:

I love looking at them so I always get them out of my sewing box while I'm sewing - usually have 3 while I'm sewing.

Let's see. On the ironong board, (1) at the side of three machines (4) on the side where I cut and pin (5) and one in a project bag that travels to class (6). I'd love to have another to place at my chaot in LR to catch pins as I hand sew, then I wouldn't have to stick thm in the arm and then take and place in a cushion in SR. Okay now I have to go to LQS Bye.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast