Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many quilt on reg sewing machine? >

How many quilt on reg sewing machine?

How many quilt on reg sewing machine?

Old 02-15-2013, 06:08 AM

I quilt all my tops on a domestic machine because I can not afford to send them out. (more $$$ for fabric).I have seen great and detailed FMQ stitches done on a domestic machine although I only do meandering or stippling. If you are looking for a new machine I would get a machine with a wider 9" throat. It is much easier to quilt on that machine. I have a Brothers 1500S machine that is straight stitch only. This machine has a wider throat and other features like easy feeddog dropping lever, and ability to adjust presser foot tension. All these things make quilting easier. *I test drove this machine at dealers and then bought it on amazon for $600 with free shipping and no tax.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:14 AM

I quilt on a Juki and have quilted up to a queen size. No room for a long arm, too much money, also.Wish I could find a mid-arm at a super price.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:34 PM

I recently finished a queen size Crazy Curves quilt out of batiks. After sandwiching, I sewed with water soluble the rows in-the-ditch, the horizontal and vertical. This will hold all layers in place while I FMQ (Free Motion Quilt) feathers all over the quilt. This was my very first quilt and at times it was a bit tight pulling it through the machine's 10" well to reach the loose "puddle" area, but I did it. It turned out really nice; washed it gently in Orvus, dried on low setting, and it turned out great.