Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Many Are Self Taught? >

How Many Are Self Taught?

How Many Are Self Taught?

Old 02-07-2010, 06:56 AM

i took a basic class on cutting, using a rotary cutter and measuring and pressing at Joanns 5 years ago. that is all i have had..everything else was learned by message boards, and a quilting group i found that gets together every wednesday.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:09 AM

I am amazed at how many self taught quilters there are- as everyone here has made so many beautiful quilts! I learned to sew as a child and made Barbie clothes, then my own. Did a few pathetic quilt attempts many years ago. My sister has been quilting for years and inspired me to get more serious. Have taken a free motion class, and stack and whack. The best class/instruction I ever got was online- Old Red Barn Quilt Along last year was a fantastic tutorial through every step- and was so encouraging I did my first free motion all over quilting. It turned out amazing- Old Red Barn on Flickr has done three more-at least- tutorials with thousands of pics posted.
But nothing compares with the encouragement, support and inspiration I find here every day. It distracts me from sewing! Thanks to all of you!
Old 02-07-2010, 07:12 AM

Gosh, when I first started quilting, I never heard of classes.I started pieceing doll quilts by hand when I was around 10 years old.My mother was a quilter but she learned from my grandmother.Didn't take quilting back up until I was in my 20's.Most of what I know I got from others or by reading books.My mother-in-law was a great quilter and she let me in on some of her secrets.Sometimes I think it's best to learn by trial and error.Quilting goes back a long ways i my family. I have a quilt my great-grandmother made back in the !930's. I feel very lucky to have it. D"Marie
Old 02-07-2010, 08:00 AM

I started making my own clothes many years ago when I was in high school but I quit when I retired. My local quilt shop offers classes on quilting so I started three years ago with their basic class and have kept on taking classes when they offered them on specific techniques. My last one was a mystery class called a "Trip Around Scotland." Really a basic quilt but a fun day as the instructor played Scottish music, brought Scottish food for lunch, as well as taught the class. I've taken about 6 classes with this shop and have enjoyed all of them.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:00 AM

me!

I would get out my mothers sewing machine when she was out. boy was she mad when she found out! then she saw what I made and gave me permission to use any of her fabric!
Old 02-07-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
me!

I would get out my mothers sewing machine when she was out. boy was she mad when she found out! then she saw what I made and gave me permission to use any of her fabric!
That sounds soo familiar.. but I never got permission to use the machine until I was in high school.. I think that's why I have such a love for hand stitching and why my stitches are small.. I tried to imitate the sewing machine!!
Old 02-07-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
me!

That sounds soo familiar.. but I never got permission to use the machine until I was in high school.. I think that's why I have such a love for hand stitching and why my stitches are small.. I tried to imitate the sewing machine!!
Old 02-07-2010, 09:43 AM

Since mom and grandma sewed, I leanred from them. But I didn't get grandmas aability to look at something and make it correct size and all (clothes). But thru trial and error or success, I have learned to do alot. Then came here and learned alot more. So I am Self and Quilting board taught!!!!
Old 02-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

I loved home ec so I learned the basics of sewing when I was in 7th grade, I guess age 13. By the time I was 15 I was crocheting and doing needle work. I didn't start to quilt until I was an adult. If you know how to sew you could figure out the basics of quilting on your own which is what I did. I really don't use patterns or templates but even with sewing clothing I never use a pattern I will copy a garment. :shock: :shock: sometimes I amaze myself.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:37 PM

I learned to sew from my mom and from a sewing class when I was 8 years old. But that was basic sewing and making stuff from patterns. I sewed all the way through high school, dresses, skirts, pants, bathing suits, etc.

I took time off from sewing while in college. When I had my kids, I sewed clothes for them.

Last year when the last went off to college, I decided to start quilting. I read websites, watched youtube videos, checked out books from the library, etc. I never took a quilting class, so my construction techniques are all trial by error.

Quilting is still stitch in the ditch, but I'm getting ready to branch out.

So my answer is a taught sewer, but a self taught quilter.