Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Many Are Self Taught? >

How Many Are Self Taught?

How Many Are Self Taught?

Old 02-07-2010, 04:52 AM

Self-Taught - trial and error....... :-)......I always watched my grandmother when I was a kid...I think that it's her spirit that lives on in me :-)..I'm the only one in the family who picked it up.....
Old 02-07-2010, 05:20 AM

Self-taught from magazines. I never took a class and my grandmother/mother never quilted. My Mom knit and my grandma hooked rugs and made clothes. I had a sewing machine for 13 years and didn't use it much.... had to look up how to thread it every time I used it. Then I discovered quilting. I saw a quilt picture on the front of a magazine and thought it was something I could make. Once I started, I was hooked.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:42 AM

My mom taught me to sew clothes, but my quilting skills are completely self taught from books and magazines.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:59 AM

Well what little I know I've learned on my own and through friends. It started with a love of embroidery. But after the 70's I needed a new medium. Embroidered clothing wasn't as popular as it had been. So I began embroidering blocks to make into a quilt for my daughter. That one was completely hand stitched and took me 14 years. But I designed the 12 inch blocks myself and the quilting design as well. It's a great heirloom but I'm glad that the internet was invented and I now have so many quilting friends to help me out and guide me on my quilting journey.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:59 AM

I have never had a lesson or class,or sewn with anyone. Most of my learning has been the internet and magazines; and it shows
Old 02-07-2010, 06:12 AM

Well I am also self taught and also I failed home economics most years at school. my teachers werent impressed but if only I could show them now what I have been up to.
The only lessons I have done so far is the silk ribbon embroidery by Di van Niekerk. I just love mags and the internet
Old 02-07-2010, 06:16 AM

I'm self taught. Decided one day I wanted to make a quilt when I saw a friend making one. From that day on, I never stopped. Guess it's HER fault......lol
Old 02-07-2010, 06:36 AM

Self taught here too. I did take home ec back in the dark ages when they actually taught sewing (made my Jr prom dress in class), but now sewing classes. I have been to 3 retreats were someone would demonstrate techniques, but not really a class (especially since I was one of the teachers).

Both my grandmothers quilted and at least one of my great grandmothers quilted. My mother sews and has done some tops, but no completed quilts. They made utility quilts, nothing for show. Some have cotton batting from their fields that was carded and placed in the quilt then sewn down. They are lumpy, heavy, and full of love. I wouldn't take a million dollars for any of them.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:37 AM

Learned the basics of sewing in 8th grade so made lots of my own clothes and stuff for the boys when they were small. Learned from all the gals on tv and a couple good books. Printed out reams of paper showing short cuts from the internet. No idea where this interest came from.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:54 AM

I have always stitched. Never took a "home ec" class until my senior year when I took Family Living. really ticked the teacher off as I was already sewing and cooking for the family without her help. Then I won the "Betty Crocker Homemaker of Tomorrow" award at the school which REALLY irked her. Nothing on the quilting front until about 12 years later when I decided I was going to make a quilt. I first bought a pattern and made a baby quilt on the machine for my nephew. That went ok..just following a pattern so I decided I was going to hand stitch one for myself.. I picked out fabrics and couldn't find a Grandmothers fan with the right number of spokes so I drafted it myself and sat down and stitched the top. I had lots of trims so I added those to each fan. LOL.. No one ever told me it was difficult or that I needed a class... and I've been doing it my way ever since.. the only classes I've attended are those I've taught, or helped teach.