Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Many Are Self Taught? >

How Many Are Self Taught?

How Many Are Self Taught?

Old 02-06-2010, 06:10 PM

I am self taught. Other than Home Ec in high school I have relied on books to get me through.

I didn't even have the benefit of classes when I bought my embroidery/sewing machine or serger. I know my way around my embroidery machine but need to spend more time learning my serger.

I did just recently take a purse making class. All of us made a purse in one day! I hope to take more classes but they do add up, and I like to spend my money on fabric and supplies.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:11 PM

Havn't had a class, but have friends that have been wonderful in instructing me along the way.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:15 PM

Same as Janet here. Only had Home Ec in school. Have sewn pretty much all my life except when life got in the way.

I've learned alot from friends, reading online and here..

I've still got alot to learn about quilting, but I'm working on it.. :lol:
Old 02-06-2010, 06:17 PM

Self taught, my first quilt was for my daughter when I was pregnant (1982). Choose Bambi for her room and they had nothing then - long before Disney Stores. Found a coloring book and did a liquid embroidery with green sashing - not very good but she loved it and we still have it.

My mom was a quilter but she started after I left home, she was self-taught also but later she got to sew with my grandma. When my mom went to the nursing home my sister and I split her stuff up easily, she took applique type stuff and I took the traditional piecing.

I too started after watching Simply Quilts. I have taken a few "classes" and usually end up modifying the directions (rule breaker I am). The last retreat I went to the instructor got mad because I was showing other students "another" way to do the border.

I also tend to piece more than quilt, more tops than finished quilts, too many UFO's and WIP's.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I started out self taught from books. But because I always wonder if I am understanding directions correctly I took a beginners quilting class at Jo Anns after I had been into it for a couple of months. Turns out I was the star pupil in that class so I guess I understood the directions correctly. We made 4 blocks in that class from a beginning quilt making book. I went on to complete the entire quilt which was my first. Since then I have taken classes/workshops on specific techniques like paper piecing and machine quilting and one to make a type of pine tree block. I also took a long arm class. No class ever cost me more then $30 or $40. I'd say the paper peicing class was the best money spent. Don't think I would have quite figured that one out without some hands on instruction.
Have your ever looked at Carol Doak's PP books? I taught myself with her books. Her instructions are very good, and she has great patterns.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:24 PM

I am self taught. My first quilt was made in 1976. I made so many mistakes. I made the pattern myself and used 5/8 inch seams and polyester fabrics but it didn't look too bad when it was done. Then, my grandma gave me a subscription to Quilter's Newsleter Magazine for my birthday. I read it cover to cover and I still subscribe to that magazine after all these years. there is always something new to learn and try.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:57 PM

Self taught, by my seam ripper :-D
Old 02-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

I have never had a class, learned trial and error, mostly error and got lots of books and I am still learning. I am always looking for ways to make everything more accurate and perfect and faster. I will never get there but, I keep trying. I learned to sew in Home Ec. and as a stay at home Mom I sewd clothes for 2 daughter and myself, pjs for son. I started quilting before oldest daughter was born, I hqvq made quilts for 6 grands and great granddaughter, some have several and other quilts for all of them.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:38 PM

same here...just figured it out...but this is a great site and i've discovered so many ideas online! now dvr'ing some of the shows on tv...can fast forward and get tips! wow...this is fun! has taken 4 years to sew my daughter's quilt, my first...now got 3 in the making!
Old 02-06-2010, 07:45 PM

Self taught ,I taught myself to sew mens western shirts in the
70's and in 89 I started to sew quilts, I'm a eye's on person if I can see it I can make it .I do learn allot of different things
here on the board, of witch I'm so thankful for. :D