Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how many ufo's and great ideas do you have? >

how many ufo's and great ideas do you have?

how many ufo's and great ideas do you have?

Old 09-09-2013, 07:00 AM

"I don't understand why you take a whole piece of fabric, cut it in little pieces, then sew it back together."

The husband of a dear friend of mine said that very thing years ago: He said he didn't understand women who paid good money for fabric, then cut it in little pieces and sewed it back together. He was quite serious since he was frugal with money. She laughed at him, I remember. That was long before I got interested in quilting (could not have done it before I retired) and she is now gone. I think often of how much fun it would be to share ideas with her and show one another our quilting projects. We used to shop for fabric together, back when we were both making clothes, not quilts.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:05 AM

I know I have more UFOs than I can imagine but I still have projects that need to be done now too. So I decided what I'd do is finish one UFO, then do a new project, then another UFO, then a new project. That way I'm not bogged down with just one or the other and both get done hopefully in a timely manner. I'm down to 3 UFO quilt tops to be quilted, 1 set of pillow shams and an unknown number of clothing items which probably won't even fit after all these years. Working on 2 pillowcases for finished quilts, 1 baby quilt. I know I'll have another baby quilt to do by March of next year too. Still have the dining room chairs to be recovered after adding the embroidery to the fabric, valances for the livingroom windows, wall hanging for the newly painted upper bathroom, etc. So still a lot of future projects that have been waiting since I moved in 3 years ago but its only me that I have to please on when I get them done......:-)

Hopefully I'll stay on this schedule
Old 09-09-2013, 07:18 AM

I used to save project ideas from quilting mags. Since I discovered Pinterest, I hardly bother with mags anymore, and my idea list is off the charts. I already have more UFOs than I can finish quilting this year, so I told myself to stop making tops unti the UFOs are quilted & bound. I machine quilt with my Creative Sensation, because of its huge throat and quilting/embroidery ability. I haven't had it for most of the summer, because its circuit board had to be replaced. I had it back for 2 weeks, and that circuit board acted up again. Now Pfaff has it again! They assured me that I won't have to wait another 2 months this time - BUT it's already been nearly 2 weeks! So I decided to make a few runners with my older Pfaff while I'm waiting. They're really fun to make - I can try out a complicated pattern to see if I really want to make a whole quilt with it. If I ever get my CS back and quilt them, I'l take pix and post them.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by paperpieceme View Post
okay ladies , i made a huge mistake
I decided that I needed to make a list of all of my current projects, everything from fabric purchased with a specific pattern in mind to just needs the binding finished, and I enlisted my husband's help.

That was my big mistake. After we made the list, with 28 projects on it. He turns to me and says, so what do you think the average cost of each of those is? This is from a man that talks about how hobbies are important and we will make room for them in the budget, so i think i blew his mind.

How many projects do you ladies have? Are there some that will probably never get finished, because the new quilt smell has worn off?

I think my goal for the rest of this year and next year is to get them finished. I think the only new projects I am going to allow myself, are the Doll Quilt swaps. We shall see how this goes
Oh dear, far too many U.F.O's plus ideas-- and believe me the older you get the worse the problem seems, in addition to the ufo's there is the hmt's --- how much time!!
Old 09-09-2013, 09:42 AM

I have no idea but I do already have a headache. Having no self control like QuiltingHaven, I just open this board and start printing out the pictures of the wonderful quilts you make. I put them in a notebook and maybe I have the fabric and maybe I don't. I just buy the bolt.......like just leave the bottle.....only fabric wise.

There is one UFO that comes to mind...a green and gold star that the middle did not come together at all. So I'd say ONE AND COUNTING.

Marcia
Old 09-09-2013, 10:12 AM

I put everything intp a spreadsheet a few years back. At that time I had over 60. Haven't updated the spreadsheet for a while but I know there are lots more now. Not sure I want to know that number.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:17 AM

I only have 5 quilts started, but a couple of bags and totes, and on and on. I'm afraid to get n accurate count
Old 09-09-2013, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by paperpieceme View Post
okay ladies , i made a huge mistake
I decided that I needed to make a list of all of my current projects, everything from fabric purchased with a specific pattern in mind to just needs the binding finished, and I enlisted my husband's help.

That was my big mistake. After we made the list, with 28 projects on it. He turns to me and says, so what do you think the average cost of each of those is? This is from a man that talks about how hobbies are important and we will make room for them in the budget, so i think i blew his mind.

How many projects do you ladies have? Are there some that will probably never get finished, because the new quilt smell has worn off?

I think my goal for the rest of this year and next year is to get them finished. I think the only new projects I am going to allow myself, are the Doll Quilt swaps. We shall see how this goes
I have a large box labeled UFO's. I found I lost interest because I was working a lot of O.T. & could almost put one foot in front of the other. I'm retired sooo--- Now my excuse is -- My design wall covers up my stash & the box so I forget that it's there.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

First, I congratulate you on tackling such a formidable project. I know that I have more projects started or thought about than I can possibly finish within the next few years. I would get discouraged if I wrote them all down, although from time to time I have, but usually when I am getting ready for a fair and deciding which projects I want to finish before the fair. For now I have a twin-size quilt to sandwich and quilt for my DGD, several Bow Tucks bags in various stages of completion, as well as others in the planning stage, plus I have started several wall hangings that I've placed in large plastic bags so that I won't misplace the pattern and project pieces and waste time looking for them. I have also begun setting aside a magazine/pattern along with the fabrics in large plastic zip-lock bags, so I don't have to start the process all over again, in an effort to become more organized so I'll have more time for quilting.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:17 PM

Don't know for sure how many that I have - but am really sure that the new fabric that I just purchased at JoAnn will go uncut for my Stack and Whack quilt forever. I bought the book a couple of years ago at the Paducah Quilt Show and just now found the most perfect fabric - $12.99 a yard minus 40% = $70 for 7 1/2 yards. I finally look at the book and decide I don't think I can do it.