Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you find that quilting is a therapeutic outlet? >

How many of you find that quilting is a therapeutic outlet?

How many of you find that quilting is a therapeutic outlet?

Old 02-02-2010, 03:22 PM

Oh, I would love to have a treadle.... that would be so cool! I do have an old White machine. It was my only machine for awhile... It only sewed straight and forward, and it couldn't go very fast or it would smoke. :lol:
Old 02-02-2010, 03:26 PM

After 38 years of working full time as a nurse I retired so I could really learn to quilt (did a few here and there but nothing serious). Long story short, hubby lost job so I was only "retired" for 2 months but wow am I hooked on quilting. Usually I work 2 days per wk but for the past 6 wks I'm back to 40hrs. Wondered why I was so cranky--I haven't gotten enough quilting time in!! I really need that creative outlet to keep a positive attitude. Can't wait to get back to 2 days per week.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by krazy4quilts
Same, it is also helping me to cut back on a very bad habit I have.............smoking. The more I sew the less I smoke. Cutting back then quitting!!!!!!!!!!!
me, too!! We'll have to bolster one another through this journey into nothing but fresh air!

I always have quilted for fun and relaxation, in the last two years though it became my escape and my haven. I know I would not have made it without all my real friends here and the quilting.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

Mostly therapy for me too, except when I get stumped and the ripper and I become close again! I also find hand quilting "satisfyingly tedious" and very relaxing.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by MNQuilter
I totally agree. And then there are those times when a quilt I'm working on make me need therapy!
Amem sister. I am working on that quilt now. I am wondering if it will ever end. Actually I am on the last row, minus the two borders.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Yes, it is a great stress reliever...it allows me to go away to my "happy place" :D:D:D
I agree....and weeks like this one where I am too busy to sew much make me crazy!! I cant wait to have some time to visit my own "happy place"
Old 02-02-2010, 05:05 PM

My sister and I call it our happy place, my other sister makes fun of us,but she is the one not satisfied in her life
Old 02-02-2010, 05:42 PM

Yes! As part of a college program, I set out to interview quilters of all ages....quilting is therapy for all.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
Mostly therapy for me too, except when I get stumped and the ripper and I become close again! I also find hand quilting "satisfyingly tedious" and very relaxing.
"satisfyingly tedious" for me is sewing on the binding @ the end...depending on what is going on in my life, i would rather sew on the binding than anything else.
i make a lot of small things, just so i always have something waiting for binding.

always try to be prepared!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:45 PM

It is the therapy I need after working with the public 40 plus hours a week. I love to hand quilt so I do that in the evenings in front of the TV and relax. It really helps. I have a way to let out some creativity and have something wonderful to show for it. It is my "happy place" as well.