Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you find that quilting is a therapeutic outlet? >

How many of you find that quilting is a therapeutic outlet?

How many of you find that quilting is a therapeutic outlet?

Old 02-02-2010, 06:09 PM

I think you hit the "nail on the head!" Making stuff is relaxing and rewarding. And we should all probably do more of it. Whether it be quilting, cooking, crafting with the kids, etc., these artistic outlets enable us creative types to express ourselves. Let the laundry go another day and go make me something!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:16 PM

reading this thread and looking at everyone quilts it really moviate me when i get a little lazy lol :-P
Old 02-02-2010, 07:51 PM

My husband and I are caregivers for Mom who has Alz, paralzyed and confined to her bed. We tend to all of her needs. I work full time out of the house but find that "playing with fabric" helps me deal with slowly losing Mom. Not only do I find making quilts therapy, but I get so much joy giving them away. Some of my co-workers have got through sad times and I've given them a quilt. Funny, but when i do this, both of us end up weeping!! My machine is up all the time just waiting for me to sit at it and sew for a bit. What did I do with my time before I started quilting?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:09 PM

The hum of the sewing machine, the feel and smell of the fabric, the colors all bring the bloodpresser down. I can be as creative or traditional as I want.

I also hand quilt and I come home each day and do about an hour each night which really relaxes me after a stressful day.

I started quilting raising a teenager all by myself. I could zone out and ignore the noises of my life for a time.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:42 PM

Since I stared quilting I see color everywhere ,I see patterns from the strangest places, I feel all fabrics and wonder, can I make something from that. I love the quiet times I spend in my sewing room. I love the noise I have in my sewing room. I sometimes find myself smiling at just the thought of quilting, I quilt because I have to.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:10 PM

Hmmmm, you know a friend of mine is a quilter and when I went through a difficult miscarriage she stopped by with a small quilt.... I guess it is a quilters way to show they care. And to think that I used to think it was crazy to cut up fabric just to sew it back together! :lol:
Old 02-03-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
As opposed to just a "fun" thing to do? I know, for myself, that I need to have some creative hobby to "escape" to. Going into the right brain shuts off all the stuff I don't want to deal with (family situations). I originally was interested in quilting just for the fun of it, but now I crave sitting at the sewing machine or searching/reading here, or surfing other quilting related info (and buying books! :lol: ) - it just keeps life light! How about you?
I agree.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
As opposed to just a "fun" thing to do? I know, for myself, that I need to have some creative hobby to "escape" to. Going into the right brain shuts off all the stuff I don't want to deal with (family situations). I originally was interested in quilting just for the fun of it, but now I crave sitting at the sewing machine or searching/reading here, or surfing other quilting related info (and buying books! :lol: ) - it just keeps life light! How about you?
I wish! However, the more upset or anxious I am, the more dysfunctional/klutzy I am. I only do sewing/quilting/machine embroidery, etc., when I am in a good mood; I don't go near it when I'm in a bad mood. Although, if I'm sewing and run into a snag, I wish I could just get up, walk away, and fix the problem later; instead, I seem compelled to fix it right then, which is NOT a mood enhancer.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:12 PM

How cool! What a terrific scrap (a REAL scrap) quilt! Thanks for sharing. :mrgreen:
Old 02-03-2010, 09:02 PM

humm, yeah, my own little world