Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How many of you hand quilt?

So far to date I have made about 130 quilts and not had one long armed yet. I have quilted everyone so far except 2 that I just tied off. I love hand quilting like most of you said it's very relaxing for me. I quilt til my hands and fingers say "ok I have had enough time for a break" and the outcome is always nice.

Donna
    Life is short, enjoy every second.

I only hand quilt.My quilts wouldn't win a prize, but I love them and they turn out beautiful. Hadn't done a ugly one yet.
    I come from a long line of hand quilters and I think it's in my blood. Personally the machine ones are beautiful, but they're not the same to me as the hand quilted ones.

I've been hand quilting since I was 12 yrs. old. Now I hand quilt for others. I don't get much per hour for the work, but the therapy is priceless! :-)
    Thimble and Thread

I've hand quilted all my life, & love it. Daughter also hand quilts. We always have a quilt on the frame & both of us quilt on it as we want. I don't have as nice a stitch as I had when I was younger but it is still even - just the stitches are not as small. I used to use a 12 between - now have to use a 10. We both love to hand quilt, & we do some hand piecing also. There is something so soothing & relaxing about hand work.

I am mainly a hand quilter, and do find it very relaxing. My thumbs aren't holding up so well, so I suspect I will have to fall back on some machine work. Love having a quilt in the big frame in the winter months. I personally do not see so much hand quilting anymore at our local quilt shows. Most people piece the tops and send them out to be long arm quilted.

I love to hand piece and hand quilt and until about 6 years ago ALL of my quilts (hand or machine pieced, baby to king sized) were hand quilted, however the time that it takes me to do both seems to be used up by my other activities, mainly work... so I do machine piece and FMQ on my machine - I just had too many UFOs in the queue to hand quilt. I do find that by machine piecing - I am more willing to give away my finished quilts. I think when I hand quilt them I get too attached to them - LOL. But I always have one in process for hand quilting and one for hand piecing - just in case I have some time to do those activities, both are so relaxing.
    Sherry

"Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be." Abraham Lincoln

i love hand quilting.

it is painfully slow though, so i throw in some machine projects so i don't feel like the eternal turtle

aileen

Blog Entries
    Right now, thats all I do. My machine isn't capable of FMQ. And, I am still saving for my longarm. (getting one very soon) Yes, it is very relaxing and I will always continue to have one in the hoops or frame. They are so much softer than machine quilted quits. And, I agree that it is a dying art. I wish more people would take it up and experience the joy of creating a quilt totally by hand.
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

I am a HAND QUILTER and love it. I do however machine quit my borders.
    "BIG SKY COUNTRY"

Hand quilting is my favourite method, but it takes quite a while, so I'm persevering with machine quilting.
    Liz Fairlie

I hand quilt certain quilts that just seem to scream hand quilt me!! I like to hand quilt as it is relaxing and I'm not in a hurry to get it done.

I have been hand quilting since 2006 & love it & hand quilt at home & at church just about every week

I hand quilt, I machine quilt and now I'm learning to FMQ.... One day I hope to have a long arm quilting machine...
    Love all aspects of quilting I guess

hand quilting is not for me, I have a quilting machine that is on a 14' frame

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilrain View Post
    I did some hand quilting on our past president's (quilt guild) quilt last evening and decided I need to do more in the future. it really is relaxing. How many of you hand quilt? Seems like it is almost a dying art with all the machine quilters. I love machine quilted quilts because they are so fast and durable, but think I may just have to do more hand qork
    I've got MY hand raised!

Used to ONLY hand quilt, but that was 15-20 yrs ago and before working FT ... rarely do anymore, and just small projects when I do ...

I hand quilt all my quilts. My 85 year old mother taught me and she still helps me do it. It is a good bonding time for us and it is something I will always remember even after she is gone.

I use cotton quilting thread to do my hand quilting. That is what I have done. I have a king size on the frame now and has been there for 10 years. I broke my back when I was about half way finished and don't know when I will ever finish it. Most of my quilts now are machine quilted which I use to think looked terrible. Don't know when I changed my mind but they look pretty doggone good now
    Fran
    http://franciesboutique.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Lilrain View Post
    I did some hand quilting on our past president's (quilt guild) quilt last evening and decided I need to do more in the future. it really is relaxing. How many of you hand quilt? Seems like it is almost a dying art with all the machine quilters. I love machine quilted quilts because they are so fast and durable, but think I may just have to do more hand qork
    When my quilts are too large to machine quilt on my domestic machine, i do hand quilt. Takes me an awfully long time, but it is very relaxing. I have one of those PVC pipe quilting frames that works, but I prefer to use a hoop or just scrunching in my lap. I pin then baste the gazeeber out of the layers before starting to stitch (hand or machine.) I'm not a fabulous quilter, just do SITD and C-Hing. My stitches are not consistent, but they'll do. The more I work on the quilt, the better the stitches get. Downside is I still can't use a thimble!!
    One step at a time, always forward.

I have ONLY ever hand quilted! Thanks to all you wonderful folks, I have discovered the joy of hand quilting without a frame. Next stop, machine quilting. It is all wonderful and exciting!
    ​tea

I love to hand quilt. I always have a quilt on the frame and when I have a few minutes, I can do a little stitching. It's relaxing at the end of the day, too. I have a beautiful quilt to show for my time watching TV.

Blog Entries
    I love hand quilting and even though I now do machine quilting, I am always working on hand quilting a quilt. It is my relaxation in the evenings when I either hand piece or hand quilt. All machine piecing /quilting is done during the daytime.
    QB Albums: Street Directory Quilt; Selvedge Quilts;

Blog Entries
    I do handquilting "ONLY",
    I love it.
    You are correct it is very soothing (relaxing).
    J J
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

I always hand quilt. I have so many of my grandmothers quilt pieces I think using any other method would be an insult to her work. She lived 1895-1961 and I think that I am honoring her memory by using her method of quilting. Also quilting by hand is such good therapy for me even though my stitches are not perfect, at least they are mine. Some day I will consider professional machine quilting, until then, I will be stitching away!!

I used to hand quilt all the time, but since my arthritis has gotten so much worse just can't manage it anymore. Leaves me in a quandry as I don't know how to FMQ and can't afford to have a long-armer do them so it's back to the old fashiond way of tying them all. I'm trying to get up the courage to learn FMQ.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast