Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: How many of you hand quilt?

Blog Entries
    I have only one long arm machine quilted quilt & am glad I had it done as she did a beautiful job but I still prefer hand quilting, it is so much softer to the feel and looking. I have one more quilt I am seriously thinking about having the same person do as I want it done and it has been in my closet, like my other one was, for way too long. I am still not sure but am going back and forth in my mind. Money is also an issue.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

I too hand quilt, although it is frustrating to see those beauties get cranked out and finished fast. Our quilt shows are showing mostly machine quilted quilts too and very little hand quilting is turned in. Those machines are sizable and pricey to me for the average home. I have heard you can 'rent' the usage at some quilt stores.
    Enjoy the day, Chickadee_42us

I really enjoy hand quilting!
    Linda
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain.

I've only quilted three baby quilts and was in a hurry to complete all of them so I machine quilted. But I love to crochet and embroider so I think I would enjoy hand quilting. I can see where the quilting method is chosen according to the urgency of the project. I think all methods look nice, but I like the history and nostalgia of the hand quilting.
    jean

I have been hand quilting since 1986 when I taught myself - however, my hands and wrists are complaining now - so I am exploring machine quilting. I have found my hand quilting as my most rewarding and provides me peace. I am sure I will always have a hand quilting project going . I have been through alot of machines and I read on here that you must find the machine right for you. After I saw a posting about a lady who fmq on her 301 by putting stitch length at 0 - I went to my sewing room and immediately tried it. I fell in love all over again with my 301. I still like my other machines for different techniques. Thank you to this site. People here rock .

I used to hand quilt but arthritis has twisted my hands the past few years, so I am teaching myself to machine sew using a Juki TQ 2010 and mostly STD. It is very slow going, but I am learning and starting to branch out into FMQ. Have done a couple of king size quilts, but mostly small laps. I do miss the hand work though.

I hand quilt and machine quilt. If it's something that I will keep and love forever, I hand quilt. If it's something I need for a quick baby gift, or something for a nursing home, I'll machine quilt it. I usually SITD, not having quite mastered fmq yet. I recently found a large hoop that sits on the floor, but is very adjustable. I can pull the hoop toward me or away from me and raise it or lower it, so it is making my hand quilting much more enjoyable and a lot less painful!

I am an English Paper Piecer and love to hand quilt (I like embroidery of all kinds too.). There is not a lot of "lifetime" left for me to do all the amazing patterns on my "to do" list, so I am now machine piecing and quilting. I use (and love) vintage machines, but I recently saw the Sweet 16 Handiquilter in action and if I ever get a spare $6,000 (the cost here in Australia)...I would love to own one. Can't imagine life without my handwork....keeps me balanced and reasonably sane. Very meditative.

I hand quilt. Love it, but it does take a long time to finish a quilt.

Kyia
    I love to do binding.

I've been hand quilting since I was 8, now 60. Didn't know what machine quilting was until I saw it at a show. Beautiful, but I'll keep the tradition going.

I do love tohand quilt...I have a circular hoop, kind of like a giant embroidery hoop. If I wake in the middle of the night, it is a quiet and prayerful activity. Great when waiting up for those almost-grown up kids!!! lol

I have to respond... Perle cotton on a double wedding ring? IMnsHO that thread is way too thick to use. You need a 50 or 60 weight and a between needle. Tiny needles, I know, but it helps with the placement of the stitches. Perle cotton is something used for a 'down home, country feeling' type quilt, not a lovely wedding ring quilt. Just my.02 cents.
    Anita in Northfield, MN

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by anita211 View Post
    I have to respond... Perle cotton on a double wedding ring? IMnsHO that thread is way too thick to use. You need a 50 or 60 weight and a between needle. Tiny needles, I know, but it helps with the placement of the stitches. Perle cotton is something used for a 'down home, country feeling' type quilt, not a lovely wedding ring quilt. Just my.02 cents.
    I already took the perl cotton back and on the suggestion of another board member, I purchased Guterman Hand Quilting thread.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I also hand piece and hand quilt. Here is a question for those of you who do the same. Should I press my seams to one side or can I press them open? I'm asking this because when I press them to the side and SID, it makes it harder to make small stitches. However, if I press the seams open and SID, does it make the seam weaker since I'm not quilting OVER the seam. HELP

Quote Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
    I also hand piece and hand quilt. Here is a question for those of you who do the same. Should I press my seams to one side or can I press them open? I'm asking this because when I press them to the side and SID, it makes it harder to make small stitches. However, if I press the seams open and SID, does it make the seam weaker since I'm not quilting OVER the seam. HELP
    When I hand piece I always press the seam to one side. If I have to SID, then I do it on the side of the seam without the seam allowance. If I end up stitching through more than one layer of fabric, I don't worry about making small stitches.

The rationale I've read for pressing seams to one side is that it helps keep the batting from "leaking" through the seam, as well as strengthening the seam.

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
    When I hand piece I always press the seam to one side. If I have to SID, then I do it on the side of the seam without the seam allowance. If I end up stitching through more than one layer of fabric, I don't worry about making small stitches.

The rationale I've read for pressing seams to one side is that it helps keep the batting from "leaking" through the seam, as well as strengthening the seam.

Janet
    Thanks, Janet. That answers the dilemma for me. Just SID and don't worry about always making small stitches.

This is what quilting with #5 Pearle Cotton turns out like. It was my first hand quilting and It took quite a while with the #5. I never made that mistake again but it did set it off nicely and it is indeed cuddly. I love that quilt.....lol! http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t8524-3.html
    Blessed are they that can laugh at themselves, For they shall never cease to be amused.

http://quiltsnmore.webs.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4