Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you hand quilt?

You will be much happier, won't get discouraged and really enjoy the process! Have fun!
    Blessed are they that can laugh at themselves, For they shall never cease to be amused.

http://quiltsnmore.webs.com

I have always been a hand quilter. Thought about trying to machine quilt, but never built up the nerve to try it. Hand quilting is so soothing. All of my quilts have been either queen size or baby quilts. I am making my first "couch quilt". DH asked for a small one. So I am making a small "Trip Around the World" for him. It will only be about 56"x80" when I get it completed.

Blog Entries
    I piece tops in summer and hand quilt in winter. It's how I was taught by my granny and i love it..I will do SID on baby quilts to make them durable and more washable. But if' its an heirloom or keepsake, I will always hand quilt. king size or whatever. cmaras
    "I do not understand ,how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to" ( and mine is my summer houseboat on a beautiful KY lake.) quote by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.

I hand quilt. l put my quilt in my floor frame in the guest room and quilt a little each day. Since I work fulltime the quilt I am just about to finish had taken me close to 11 months to do. I don't get in a hurry but just enjoy the process.

Just started quilting in Jan and didn't know how to machine quilt, so I hand quilt. At 60 I am finding it a little hard on the hands. I just started a mchine quilting class, we'll see how it goes. But I do love the old fashioned look of hand quilting. You can see my quilts in my profile.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

I prefer to hand quilt as I find it relaxing. However if I need to finish a quilt faster then I machine quilt. Hand quilting does take longer but I do enjoy the process and look.

Blog Entries
    My girl friend brought mesome squares she started hand quilting yrs ago, its a quilt as you go so ill be learning both real soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lilrain View Post
    We had about 250 quilts in our annual show, have over 500 members in our guild, and no catagory for hand quilting anymore. Not sure if we had a handquilted quilt in the show this year or not
    It really makes me sad to read this - but I recently made a similar experience. I was invited by a group of quilters to demonstrate hand quilting at their biannual quilt show and I always love to do that. There were around 200 quilts on display and I think only 10 or 15 were hand quilted.
    I am a passionated hand quilter and I do wholecloth quilts, no piecing at all ( I only have to sew together lengths of fabric for the top and the backing and I also do this by hand). Hopefully the big quilt shows keep their categories for hand quilting in the future!

I hand piece and hand quilt. I find both very relaxing, no rush to finish, just one step at a time. My stitches aren't perfect but I try to be consistent. Just enjoy the process. If you can't enjoy without worrying about the size of the stitches, you probably need to find another hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    Thanks! I'll return the perl cotton and get hand quilting thread!
    If you're getting your thread at JoAnn's - possibly look at Gutterman thread - it's a glazed cotton and goes thru the eye of the needle w/out fraying. The Coats & Clark is a poly thread and personally, I don't like it as well - it also knots easier. Although, running the thread thru the beeswax should minimize that.

Another hand-quilter....Cheaper than therapy!!! And enjoy the process!!
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Blog Entries
    I am stricting a hand quilter and have done it for many many years , don't like the flatness of machine quilting or LAQ.

I enjoy hand quilting and the look of the finished piece. I don't machine quilt.

yes, I hand quilt -- fun to do while watching tv, especially ball games this time of the year
    diane

Blog Entries
    I do both handquilting and FMQ. I like both. I ALWAYS have a handquilting project going. I handquilt at night when I'm watching tv. I also have a handpiecing project that lives in my purse (for YEARS) that I work on when I'm in "waititng mode" at the Dr's office etc. It's a GMFG and I MAY be able to finish piecing it before I die...maybe. If I do finish it before I die (hopefully not soon), then I will handquilt it. I think there's room in the quilting world for both handquilting and machine quilting. It's all a matter of personal choice...as it should be.
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

Quote Originally Posted by lfw045 View Post
    I hand quilted my first "cuddle"quilt with #5 Pearle cotton and it seemed to take forever. Although it turned out beautiful and looks more like embroidered instead of "quilted", I won't do that again...lol! I use hand quilting thread now and it is much quicker.
    I use YLI for hand quilting. It works really well and doesn't tangle a lot. You can probably find it at your LQS.

I have hand quilted for over 30 years, never tried MQ. I have enough problems with a machine when piecing!!

When I started, the quilts I saw were hand quilted or tied. I was making quilts for sale and most of the ones in the shops were tied. When I joined QB 2 years ago I was amazed at how many people were doing MQ and had huge quilting machines in their home.

I am also a hand quilter. I love working on my quilts while watching TV.

Blog Entries
    From Don- I'm a hand quilt alcoholic & fabric. I can sit from morning till night, and hand quilt. In fact, I'm hand quilting a grdmothers flower garden a lady friend gave me.. I've got a quilt that I've started, and it will be my nexzt hand quilting project. Don

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I thought perl cotton was what I am supposed to use. Maybe not? Should I get regular hand quilting thread?? Guess I better do some research before I jump in with both feet!
    I believe Perle cotton is only used to hand quilt when you are doing the "big stitch" which is really nice on folk art type quilts, but not on traditional quilts. Regular quilting thread is used on traditional quilts.

I am always working on a quilt that is completely hand done while I machine up others. It is so relaxing to sit quietly and hand sew in the evenings, I find it a lovely way to end the day and these quilts are my favorites.
    Merivale
    Australia.

I, too, find it very relaxing. It has a calming effect on me!
    Lynn

I take hand quilting to places where I have to sit and wait - e.g. at the doctors' waiting rooms. It's handy to have something interesting to do. Mostly machine quilt apart from that.

I am a handquilter for at least 40 years. The older I get the better I like it. So much easier than wrestling that bed size quilt through the sewing machine. I have seen some lovely work done by longarm but I would feel like I was working in a factory using that machine. I also would not be physically able to stand that long. What I like best about quilting is the touch and feel of the fabric. With handquilting I can watch TV, be a part of a conversation with friends or family and not have to worry about the bobbin running out or a needle breaking etc. etc. etc. I do machine quilt the 20 or so Linus quilts I make each month.
    Trying to sew, quilt or read everyday.

Hand quilting is my pleasure, those quilts are much softer when finished, and to my eyes, machine quilting tends to dominate the pattern. However, when I make pieced quilts for smaller children, I do have them machine done, because those quilts get much harder use. To each his own--

i use to love hand sewing - counted cross stitch - embroidery but my eyes went a little bad so i got a sewing machine that threads itself. i can't see well enough to thread a really small needle like the betweens or even on my machine. every cloud has a silver lining - i only fell in love with quilting when i got my machine - so i sew everything by machine. you are right though - hand sewing is very relaxing although i never quilted by hand. i am sure it is a learned skill and would do it if i could.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast