Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you learned to sew with a treadle machine? >

How many of you learned to sew with a treadle machine?

How many of you learned to sew with a treadle machine?

Old 06-01-2011, 04:25 PM

I learned to sew on my Mother's treadle, a White. It was quite pretty wood with fancy drawers. She sold it for little of nothing after I was married. Of course, at that time I wasn't interested.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:31 PM

My mother had a Singer treadle and I was making doll clothes on it when I was about 7. I made my first dress at age 12 at my grandma's but hers was electric. She had her Singer treadle converted in the early 50's. During home ec in high school, all of my sewing projects were done on the treadle machine. Just looking at pictures, I think it was a 27.

Mom had that treadle until Grandma gave her the electric one. Mom was not a sewer, just a mender. Don't know what happened to the treadle. I would give anything to have it now. We sold the electric one when Mom died, but regret it.

Now I'm looking for them. DH complains but I told him that when I have more sewing machines than he has lawn mowers, then he can complain. LOL
Old 06-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

I "played" on the one at my grandparents, but it was really my Grandpa's. Came to find out he did tailoring in his early days - then learned to actually learned to sew on one in the 6th grade many moon ago. Got my own treadle about a year ago.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:18 PM

I did. My mom still has and uses that machine. She says it sews better than anything else she has.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:21 PM

I learned how to sew on my mother's featherweight (my sis has it now....but I keep trying to talk her out of it! ;) )
I have 3 treadles...and love them all! I use the Singer 9W the most so far...the 66-1's cabinet is at the "Wood Doctor's"...and I have the Wheeler & Wilson 8, which works fine but doesn't get used because I'm afraid of hurting the decals! (From what I understand, Wheeler & Wilson decals are quite fragile)

While I didn't have early exposure to a treadle, I do so love mine, and would most likely give up my Janome before I parted with any of them!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:56 PM

I learnt to sew on my mum's singer treadle..way back when :)
Old 06-01-2011, 07:06 PM

I learned to sew on my Great grandmother's (she died before I was born) singer model 27 treadle, as did my mother and my grandfather (yes grandFATHER, but all he ever learned to do was patch a hole:))! I have this machine now and it's one of my most treasured possessions even though the decals are basically shot from 4 generations of sewing! I love my treadles, I've made everything from pin cushions, to wedding dresses, to quilts, and a wide variety in between on them and they just keep clicking.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:07 PM

my grandmother taught me to sew simple dresses on her treadle when I was about 10 or 11. great memories.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:35 AM

I learned to sew on a treadle machine in my 8th grade home ec class.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:39 AM

I learned on my grandmother's treadle that my mother has and will be getting. I have my great grandmother's currently and just got a new belt and needles so I get start using it.